• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

macattack

Neither service needed a change and it's just a giant waste of money by trying to look special. If the SEALS or PJs want their own special tactical uniform I say go for it only if it helps with what they do. It's absurd that Sailors and Airman will sporting digicams to help them blend in with runways or the ships they work on. The Marines and Army wearing them is a little different story...

Absolutely. The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" approach doesn't apply when someone needs to "stand out" on their resume...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Question. Are the actual tactical AF/Navy guys who need real camouflage (STS, SEAL, etc. ) going to borrow other services' uniforms when they go out in the bamba? Or, are there alternative versions that actually sport colors that work in the natural world? Yes, I know SpecOps usually don't care much about uniform regs, but at least before those services used the old generic "BDU"-style cammies.

Clux4

Banned
Speaking of the operators (SEALs or ETACs), the ones here wear all sorts. Old and new cammies (Marines and Army style) and sometimes 5.11 style garb. I would not waste money on designing anything for those guys. They will go out and get whatever they feel is necessary to get their job done. They have been doing that for a while now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question. Are the actual tactical AF/Navy guys who need real camouflage (STS, SEAL, etc.) going to borrow other services' uniforms when they go out in the bamba? Or, are there alternative versions that actually sport colors that work in the natural world? Yes, I know SpecOps usually don't care much about uniform regs, but at least before those services used the old generic "BDU"-style cammies.

The Navy is going to test woodland and desert versions of the new uniform here soon.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/11/navy_wupatterns_110608w/

From everything I have seen the USAF is using their new tiger stripes everywhere. I think there might be exceptions for airmen attached to certain units though, I know USAF EOD guys got authorization to wear ACU's when with the Army since they were easy targets for snipers in the old DCU's.

Lawman

None
Speaking of the operators (SEALs or ETACs), the ones here wear all sorts. Old and new cammies (Marines and Army style) and sometimes 5.11 style garb. I would not waste money on designing anything for those guys. They will go out and get whatever they feel is necessary to get their job done. They have been doing that for a while now.

You should see the guys that do nothing but play OPFOR in the Army. They like to take piles of old uniforms in whatever color is pertenant to what force they are playing and get them custom decked out with extra pockets and stuff. Its like a highspeed thriftstore uniform.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Despite all this unhappiness with new uniforms, there apparently is a huge proliferation of "military inspired" apparel that is now in style...multiple pockets on jackets, epaulets and elbow pads on sweaters, and peacoats that you couldn't tell weren't bought at the NEX unless you look at the tag. Kinda disturbing.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Nah, it's definitely worse now...I'm not just talking about people in the stix wearing camoflauge all the time.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I have 4prs ACU and 2 pairs BDU pants that I wear for work. I find they wear great and are comfortable for crawling around aircraft. I've been wearing the BDU's since I got out of the Navy, started wearing ACU last winter. I simply get them at the Army surplus store outside of Fort Hood. For the most part they cost less than Dickies or jeans.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was talking to a bunch of Corpsmen from E-1 to E-8 and a couple of former Corpsmen turned Nurses while my daughter was getting her tonsils out at Balboa in San Diego today. They all hate the new digital blue uniform and they all hate the tan & black uniform for E-1 to E-6. The E-1 to E-6 were all wearing dungarees or winter blues instead and said they would continue with them until forced into the new uniforms.