• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Ok, now who are we hiding from on the boat? That pesky chief who keeps nagging us about a haircut? The skipper cuz he has a great new idea he wants your input on? Or terrorists? Give me one that's got patterns of a desk, phone, and a/c status board on it so I can sleep on SDO and no one will know. Now that's what I'm talking about...

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Blacky said:
Ok, now who are we hiding from on the boat? That pesky chief who keeps nagging us about a haircut? The skipper cuz he has a great new idea he wants your input on? Or terrorists? Give me one that's got patterns of a desk, phone, and a/c status board on it so I can sleep on SDO and no one will know. Now that's what I'm talking about...

Bwhahaha, cheers

I always thought the new camo was to blend in with the ship.

onboard bad guy ship:
-"Sir, we found an american ship, but there doesn't appear to be anyone on the it."
-"They must've abandoned it in fear. We must move on and find our next target."
meanwhile, onboard USS Sneaky
-"Ha, told you this new camo would be great, they can't see us, now pay me my $20"
-"I still think it looks dumb"

Lawman

None
Blacky said:

It makes sense in the idea that a ship in port being observed from a distance by not nice people who want to do something to it (Cole anybody?). The sentry's on the ship will be harder to spot from a distance making any sort of insurgent action more dangerous for the insurgents (I got no problem with that) because they wont have as clear a threat picture.

Air Force is getting a Marpat style uniform here shortly, they are designed to blend into a gray urbanized enviroment, the reason being as Gen Jumper has stated only 3% of the Air Force Personel are field combat personel. Most of the Air Force never leaves a concrete surface so something like European Woodland for work uniforms is almost completely useless. It saves money to have everybody wear one uniform though, maybe they'll just go break out the pickle suits in storage and use the cash to buy another 1/5 of an F-22.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
This is probably some cruel joke by a flightdeck taxi-director. Those guys are hard enough to see wearing yellow... if you can figure out which one you're supposed to follow. I guess that's not a big deal anyway, seeing that I just go where I want to anyway.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Hehe, I wonder if someone of TFU read my comment about the Service Dress Khaki :):

"The work of TFU will not stop. Next on the agenda is to evaluate additional uniform options, such as reviving the traditional Service Dress Khaki uniform for chiefs and officers, conducting research on the feasibility, cost and distribution of a service-wide physical training uniform, consider adoption of a ceremonial cutlass for chiefs, and investigate adopting a more practical service-wide, all-weather coat that would provide a better military appearance."
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=22519

As sweet as that would be, it says the uniforms they just took 2 years to develop won't be available for another 2 years, so I don't see this happening any time soon.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
How about updating the ridiculous double-breasted SDB's? I'm all for tradition but I hate those damn things. I may be be partial because I'm a former-Marine, but a tunic-style SDB coat could be made to update our look while maintaining a sense of tradition. Not to dork this out, but the coats that the Navy personnel wear in the beginning of Halo 2 are sort of what I'm talking about. What takes the Navy two years is drawn up by X-Box animators in 2 minutes.

As for the new uniforms, Navy Times reported that the Navy had psychologists speak to fleet personnel about the new digi vs. the current work uniforms and found that this design had a significant effect on happiness in the workplace. Not out to please everybody but if something as simple as a uniform change can increase morale in a time of war, than more power to it. Also in that report, the CNO said that his intention is to shrink the size of the seabag issue, notto increase it. This digi uniform replaces four different uniforms. All in all, not too shabby.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I think i see both

first picture the guy is in the center (left to right) and a tad above center (up and down).

in the second pic the guy is laying on the rocks in the right side of the picture

I found Waldo!!!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fmr1833 said:
How about updating the ridiculous double-breasted SDB's? I'm all for tradition but I hate those damn things. I may be be partial because I'm a former-Marine, but a tunic-style SDB coat could be made to update our look while maintaining a sense of tradition.

I vote that you're high. (sentiment of smilies, but I still think you're high)

SDBs look great and have DEEP roots. I understand the issue with a double-breasted coat (I keep it GQ), but a little tailoring goes a long way. On that note, Flying Cross makes a "slim cut" SDB jacket that works on any frame (even Joey Fireplug, aka me). I had a set overpriced Abbott's trash, but had to find some SDBs quick while mine were in transit a few years back. I went to the exchange, found a set that were PERFECT off the rack, and never looked back.

Investing in a decent tie (i.e. one not from the uniform shop) will also make you look a little more professional. Nothing says "broke-as$ Ensign" like a polyester tie.

I would back chokers in some shade other than "carry my luggage" white. It'll NEVER happen, but it would be nice. At least you stay a shade cooler while doing sword arches at outdoor weddings.

It could be A LOT worse, the guys I fly with now wear SDBs with EIGHT buttons, HUGE lapels, and sport ribbons for graduating with a decent GPA from their version of the academy. Their mids wear the buttons from the front where ranks stripes would go ON THEIR SLEEVES. Awful. Just awful.

boobcheese

FlyingBeagle said:
Hehe, I wonder if someone of TFU read my comment about the Service Dress Khaki :):

"The work of TFU will not stop. Next on the agenda is to evaluate additional uniform options, such as reviving the traditional Service Dress Khaki uniform for chiefs and officers

Anyone have a good picture showing service dress khakis.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Holy Crap!:eek: A4s is an admiral?
Only in his mind .... wherever that is .... :icon_rast

By the way ... for the rest of you ... Service Dress Khaki .... the BEST uniform to come along for Naval Aviation since Ellyson.

LoneSailor

I think the Navy should look into the way the new Army uniform is cut. It fits great, and it feels like a pair of jammies because it is so light and comfortable. Although I'm not a big fan of the teal color. It doesn't blend so well in the desert terrain. Although I haven't seen them yet I've been told that the Army will have the ACU version for their flight suit.

Also, in the new Navy times, the new dress working uniform will be the khaki top with the black pants and black garrison cap.