• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

Clux4

Banned
Are the SEALs going to wear this? Or are they going to stick to the old cammies. It is not like such trivial items matters to them. :)
I wonder how well those things conceal in desert?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Are the SEALs going to wear this? Or are they going to stick to the old cammies. It is not like such trivial items matters to them. :)

I have been told and others can confirm - that in theater - SEALS have switched completely to Army ACU for any op that is "outside the wire" - more for force deconfliction than anything (identifying friendlies as friendlies).

I don't see NSW adopting this uniform - maybe the Boat/Combatant Craft guys.

We'll see.

lmnop

This from a recent release:

The Navy is fully aware that their new Navy Working Uniform (NWU) isn’t suited for every environment and have from the beginning of the program promised to field a combat uniform for their ground forces who find themselves primarily in the Naval Special Warfare Command and the Naval Expeditionary Combat Command. On November 5th BUPERS officials announced that they would test a minimum of two variants of woodland and desert camouflage patterned NWUs.

In the meantime, NSW and NECC guys are wearing DCUs or other service uniforms in sandy places. Garrison uniform is stil DCUs or woodlands, and I'm hoping that we're never forced to wear this new blue piece of shit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Garrison uniform is stil DCUs or woodlands, and I'm hoping that we're never forced to wear this new blue piece of shit.

Resistance is futile, everyone will have to wear it sooner or later.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The gold insignia is just soooo tastless and gaudy. The Army, AF, and MC all got their next generation of "battle uniforms" right.

I think it's a case where the Uniform task force was too much of a committee. You take committee to design a horse and you get a Giraffe.

phrogpilot73

The gold insignia is just soooo tastless and gaudy. The Army, AF, and MC all got their next generation of "battle uniforms" right.
You're f'in kidding, right? Have you SEEN the blue tiger stripe abortion?!? Who the f wears blue boots?!?

AFG-070509-005.jpg

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
You're f'in kidding, right? Have you SEEN the blue tiger stripe abortion?!? Who the f wears blue boots?!?

AFG-070509-005.jpg

From what I've heard those new boots stain TERRIBLY and are not as well liked as the old black boots. I still don't understand why the Air Force needed a "battle uniform" in the first place.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've heard those new boots stain TERRIBLY and are not as well liked as the old black boots. I still don't understand why the Air Force needed a "battle uniform" in the first place.

You learn to stop asking about a lot of the things the USAF does after a while.

gotta_fly

pilot
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment (don't worry, I do think the new uniform is ugly and ridiculous) a lot of folks are comparing apples and oranges. Comparing the CSU (combat smurf uniform) with Army and Marine battle dress is like comparing coveralls or utilities to them; no one is advocating dragging a rifle through the sand in that getup.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I think it's a case where the Uniform task force was too much of a committee. You take committee to design a horse and you get a Giraffe.

I'd go to bat for the USMC and marpat working out alright. The army's ABU's look pretty bad when everything that is velcro'd (which is...everything) starts curling up. Plus, it was always fun to rip their 18 patches off when they came back from army leadlab in rotc.

the af's are plain old ugly, and their boots are the ghey.

at least we look ready to kick down some doors in Chechnya and rage on some innocent civilians!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You learn to stop asking about a lot of the things the USAF does after a while.

It's not so much learning to stop asking, it's learning how to stop wondering about the answers. "Battle" Uniform?? On a per capita basis, they arguably have fewer members actually in "battle" though they probably have more watching other folks involved in the conduct of battle than any other service (and infinitely more wearing flightsuits as opposed to those actually flying on any particular day).

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Minus the boots I think the new AF uniform looks better than the Navy one, not by much though. It's like trying to figure out which fat ugly girl is prettier.

Neither service needed a change and it's just a giant waste of money by trying to look special. If the SEALS or PJs want their own special tactical uniform I say go for it only if it helps with what they do. It's absurd that Sailors and Airman will sporting digicams to help them blend in with runways or the ships they work on. The Marines and Army wearing them is a little different story...

Enlisted type here. I'm good with 'em. I'll take looking like I might kick down a door for a liter of vodka in Chechnya, over looking like I'm about to ask you if you want the full-service lube job (today's utes)...It's still a smurf suit, but it's an angry smurf suit.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The new Navy "digital camo" uniform is excrement. Pure excrement.

And in general, I like blue as a color ... :)

On this subject, however, there should be no question in anyone's mind ... assuming you have a mind.

The rest is silence.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
As long as I still get to wear my flight suit around base for the majority of activities, I'm happy.