• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

navy09

None
Why wouldn't the Navy just use the Marine MARPAT uniforms? Why re-invent the wheel?

I don't think there's anything to be gained by asking logical questions of this process, but...

The MARPAT and NWU have some differences so it's not like they can just replace the EGA with the Navy logo and start distributing it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why wouldn't the Navy just use the Marine MARPAT uniforms? Why re-invent the wheel?

Because Marines set out to develop a unique design that could not be adopted by other services, period.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the fact that you have Marine tank crews along with infantry units wearing flight suits instead of cammies out in Iraq.

When I made the statement above, I was suggesting that aviation flight suits probably will not be replaced with flight suits made of the cammie material. Of course they could go to a two piece flight suit for us but why? There is nothing wrong with the current flight suits and I don't think anyone is too worried about spending more money to develop a two piece for the Navy/Marines.

That's more of a matter of material than pattern. It's no big thing to print a different pattern on NOMEX or cut it differently.

No offense, but save the "nothing wrong with the current design" statements to those who've actually been out in the Fleet and know of some of the shortcomings of the current design. The helo bubbas in particular have need for something more flexible.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Wait. 200 bucks??? Does that include boots and a cover? Or does this uniform self-clean, dispense advice, and give you a how's-your-father?
That seems pretty steep for only one set.

OK, $166.61. That includes 8-pt cover, boots, one blouse, one t-shirt, one set of socks, one set of trousers. Don't forget cost of rank insignia (3), name tapes (2), NAVY tape, and warfare designater, plus cost to sew it all on. Easy $200.

Now, you are supposed to get 4 trousers and 4 blouses, 5 T-shirts, 5 pair socks, and a mock T-turtleneck.

The parka and liner are $236.18.

Total sea bag cost is 698.70.

Info posted here but it is the same info we have up in our command.
http://www.neptunuslex.com/2008/01/28/the-navy-working-uniform/

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

Wow, the comments on that site are completely at odds with what I've been hearing on other sites for the last several months.

First, let me started off by saying that Robles I am glad that you are retiring. This uniform provides sailor with a lot more versatilities than does utilities could have ever. For example, for those of us who are thinking cost effective. Commands will no longer have to spend tons of money on buying ball caps, fall weather jackets, flight deck boots, or even that god for saken pumpkins suite you have to wear when working in freezer rooms or standing watch on the flight deck in the bitter of cold in va. I think this uniform covers that now! In addition, maybe finally we can look more like a military branch instead of jiffy lube workers. This uniform makes every sailor whether on the east coast or west; Japan or Naples look identical. Man, what a concept to actual look like professional instead of having one person with long sleeves and ten others with short. When the word gets past for sleeves up everyone will wear there sleeves up and when it is sleeves down we will all put our sleeves down. This sounds almost like thing you do when you are in the military wear a UNIFORM (one form/unity) and follow orders. Robels, I will say this I do agree with you about the fact that the Navy should have use Velcro instead of sewing on our patches. Now, that would have truly made this uniform one of the best changes that the navy as introduce since the issuing of khaki’s to all cpo’s and officers.

I considered running spell-check on that but was afraid of having my CPU overheat. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We're fucking sailors. If you want to be around everyone being uptight about their uniform, join the Marines.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/gifs/Uniform_WWII_6_300.jpg

Wouldn't they be Coasties? Coming from a USCG site and all........;)

Oh, and a BDU uniform is a great idea for the Navy. But to have it in a digi pattern that serves no purpose? Dumb. The Coasties did it right with theirs, simple and blue. They could be better made but I think they have the right idea.

_USCG103-FS-1home.gif

phrogpilot73

Because Marines set out to develop a unique design that could not be adopted by other services, period.
As usual, HeyJoe is right. There are little EGA's in the digital pattern of both woodland and desert. MARPAT is also copyrighted I believe.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As usual, HeyJoe is right. There are little EGA's in the digital pattern of both woodland and desert. MARPAT is also copyrighted I believe.

Indeed it is. They copyrighted the design and specific aspects of manufacture to control who uses it and that means no Navy (unless Chaplains/AMSO/Corpsmen/other Medical personnel assigned to Marine commands).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Multicam would be the way to go

Those remind me of some of the weird flecktar patterns used by EU countries.

I also kind of doubt some of hteir claims on that site. One pattern for two environments with markedly different color pallettes? Color me skeptical, but it seems liek a cheapo "Jack of all trades, master of none" solution.

Course, the Nav has gone that route before for even more high-dollar equipment. . .