• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy bids farewell to the venerable Sea King and Marines say "Thank you"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Desert Duck" and the myriad of roles the Sea King performed forward

web_020816-N-0111R-002.jpg

020816-N-0111R-002 At sea with USS La Salle (AGF 3) Aug. 16, 2002 -- A U.S. Navy UH-3H “Sea King” helicopter makes a low pass while searching for a Sailor who fell overboard from a merchant ship in the Alboran Sea, south of Malaga, Spain. The “helo crew” located and recovered the Sailor's remains with the help of a recovery team deployed in a rigid hull inflatable boat (RHIB) from La Salle. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 2nd Class Todd Reeves. (RELEASED)

web_020813-N-7676W-010.jpg

020813-N-7676W-010 At sea with the guided missile destroyer USS Carney (DDG 64) Aug. 13, 2002 -- Aviation Electronics Technician 2nd Class Abba Xallen adjusts his goggles while sitting in the door of an SH-3 "Sea King" helicopter called the "Desert Duck" while passing USS Carney. The Desert Duck is deployed to the Navy's 5th Fleet and makes regular runs to ships in the Arabian Gulf. The Carney is deployed to the Arabian Gulf in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Southern Watch. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Journalist John F. Williams. (RELEASED)

web_020819-N-3580W-002.jpg

020819-N-3580W-002 Arabian Gulf (Aug. 19, 2002) -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Team members attached to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit (EODMU) 8 are recovered from the Arabian Gulf by a UH-3H “Sea King” helicopter assigned to the "Sea Angels" of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron (HC)2. EODMU-8 and HC-2 are currently deployed to Manama, Bahrain, and are conducting various missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Photographer’s Mate Johnny R. Wilson (RELEASED)

web_021206-N-5319A-001.jpg

021206-N-5319A-001 At sea aboard USS Fletcher (DD 992) Dec. 6, 2002 -- An SH-3 "Sea King" from Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Two (HC-2) delivers passengers and mail to Fletcher. HC-2 and Fletcher are currently on a regularly scheduled deployment, conducting missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 1st Class Brien Aho. (RELEASED)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_030529-N-9500T-001.jpg

030529-N-9500T-001 Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash. (May 29, 2003) -- A UH-3 “Sea King” helicopter assigned to Naval Air Station Whidbey Island Search and Rescue idles in a clearing during a training flight. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Scott Taylor. (RELEASED)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HC-85 and the Sea King era

web_040115-N-8252B-001.jpg

040115-N-8252B-001 San Diego, Calif. (Jan. 15, 2004) -- An SH-3 Sea King helicopter assigned to the Golden Gators of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Eight Five (HC-85) conduct search and rescue training with Special Boat Unit 12 (SBU-12) off the coast of San Diego. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Katrina Beeler. (RELEASED)

web_031029-N-8590B-056.jpg

031029-N-8590B-056 Marine Corp Air Station (MCAS) Miramar, San Diego, Calif. (Oct. 29, 2003) -- UH-3H Sea King helicopters assigned to the “Golden Gaters” of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Eighty Five (HC-85) strapped with "Bambi” buckets depart Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Miramar during a certification flight. Once certified, the aircraft will be used to assist in mutual efforts against fighting the wildfires raging throughout Southern Calif. Each bucket can hold 324 gallons of water weighing 3000 lbs. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Andrew Betting. (RELEASED)

web_040718-N-5055W-114.jpg

040718-N-5055W-114 Marine Corps Base Hawaii (July 18, 2004) - A U.S. Navy UH-3H Sea King helicopter assigned to the “Golden Gaters” of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Eight Five (HC-85) operates overhead during a mechanized amphibious raid in support of exercise Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2004. RIMPAC is the largest international maritime exercise in the waters around the Hawaiian Islands. This year's exercise includes seven participating nations; Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom and the United States. RIMPAC is intended to enhance the tactical proficiency of participating units in a wide array of combined operations at sea, while enhancing stability in the Pacific Rim region. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 1st Class Jane West (RELEASED) For more information go to: http://www.cpf.navy.mil/RIMPAC2004/

web_050122-N-8157C-124.jpg

050122-N-8157C-124 Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (Jan. 22, 2005) - A UH-3H Sea King helicopter, assigned to the "Golden Gaters" of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Eight Five (HC-85), flies past the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) as she pulls into Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Ronald Reagan's first port visit to Hawaii is in support of Operation Unified Assistance, the humanitarian operation effort in the wake of the Tsunami that struck South East Asia. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Dennis C. Cantrell (RELEASED)

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Nice ! loved the H3 when I was with HC-1 79-81 on board the Ole Coral Maru, notice that they don't carry the external fuel tanks as we did on ours.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Can I ask when and where this was? I was in a Sea King that did this. We were about 50 ft up when we slammed back down after losing the tail rotor.

The first pic shown here 1550 brought back some memories. She had my name painted on her as Plane Captain for a while.

It happened at Mayport, in 1984. Don't remember the month. HS-9 was the squadron.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_031006-N-0416R-024.jpg

031006-N-0416R-024 Key West, Fla. (Oct. 6, 2003) -- One of Naval Air Station (NAS) Key West's H-3 Sea King helicopters is reflected in Lt. Timothy Styles' helmet as he waits to board the aircraft. Styles is a flight surgeon from Naval Branch Medical Clinic Key West and was preparing to fly with NAS Key West's Search and Rescue (SAR) team in support of a training operation with Special Forces Command South. The Special Forces personnel were practicing parachuting out of an Air Force C-130 Hercules over the waters surrounding Key West. U.S. Navy photo by Journalist 2nd Class Jack Rous. (RELEASED)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember the Air Boss screaming at me to get off his deck... I thought to myself, I am shore based, f*u!! Plus, I got your Charlie Oscar on board, so relax, guy:

1. It's a tradition to scream that at CODs and VODS.

2. Air Bosses are sorta like Drill Sergeants in that they exhibit a gruff demeanor and are prone to screaming so they can't relax (or let you see them relaxing)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've got about 30 minutes of stick time in a H-3 (as a Mid w/ HC-2...I think) as well as being hauled out of the water by one in flight school. Yea...I'm historic!

Belvin was in my RAG class, BTW. Not that that's really relevant, but...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I LOVE this picture!!! It epitomizes everything that is 'CAN-DO' in Naval Aviation ... thanks for all your excellent pix, 'Spanky' ... :)