• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy bids farewell to the venerable Sea King and Marines say "Thank you"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Sea King first flew as a prototype in 1958 and enter ed service with the fleet in 1961 after developmental testing at NAS Patuxent River. Fifty years later, it was still serving on the ramp at Pax River as the primary SAR asset as the last Sea King still flying in Navy markings.

SAR_demo_1.JPG

Photo by Jamie Darcy, NAVAIR Public Affairs

On Dec 11, 2009, the fifty year legacy ended with the Navy as the SAR team transitioned to the Sea Hawk. However, the trusty UH-3H did not go to a museum, it was turned over to the Marine Corps that still flies the VH-3D VIP variant of the Sea King in HMX-1 to transport the President and other VIPs. The UH-3H will now serve as a transition and training aid for Marine Corps pilots assigned to fly the president.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A great helo - held pretty much every record for awhile back in the early 60s.

A true workhorse. Entered service with over 20 countries so suspect it will still be around for quite awhile.

url

url

url

url

And even Royalty flew it to war

url

Prince Andrew's ride during Falklands "Troubles"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NASA and the SH-3 Sea King

The Sea King was also in the limelight every time a Gemini and Apollo crew returned to earth

597px-Crew_of_Apollo_8_leaves_recov.jpg

Apollo 8 returns to Earth in Dec 1968

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
...and the last aircraft my dad flew on in the Navy is gone... he's gonna feel old when I tell him. :) (EC-130's, SH-2 and SH-3)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and the last aircraft my dad flew on in the Navy is gone... he's gonna feel old when I tell him. :) (EC-130's, SH-2 and SH-3)

With Presidential Helo still on a rocky road, the VH-3D still has plenty of time in "Naval" Aviation by way of Marine One.

url

Marine One lifts off from the South Lawn.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_020223-N-6077T-031.jpg

020223-N-6077T-031 At sea aboard USNS Pecos (TAO 197) Feb. 23, 2002 -- A British Royal Navy MK-6 “Sea King” helicopter, assigned to the British Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious, prepares to land aboard the U.S. Military Sealift Command (MSC) ship USNS Pecos during a joint training evolution with members of the assigned to Commando Unit 40, Company D Royal Marines, and U.S. Navy SEAL (Sea Air Land) team members. HMS Illustrious is currently deployed as part of a multi-national, coalition force, conducting missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 1st Class Kevin H. Tierney. (RELEASED)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_090618-N-9999X-001.jpg

090618-N-9999X-001 PATUXENT RIVER, Md. (June 18, 2008) The prototype of the Sikorsky YHSS-2 Sea King helicopter made its first flight on March 11, 1959. The helicopter was renamed the SH-3A in 1962. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_040422-N-9849W-044.jpg

040422-N-9849W-044 Pacific Ocean (Apr. 22, 2004) - Members assigned to the "War Lords" of Light Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Five One (HSL-51) remove bolts from a case containing a new engine for an SH-3G Sea King helicopter aboard USS Coronado (AGF 11). The new engine will replace the old one, which was damaged by debris. Coronado is serving as the temporary command ship for U.S. Seventh Fleet while USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) is in a scheduled dry dock maintenance period. Besides serving as a temporary command ship, Coronado is also experimenting with a unique manning concept. The crew is made up of Military Sealift Command (MSC) civilian mariners and a small group of Sailors, designed to replace the 481 Sailors normally assigned to Coronado. The combined MSC/Navy crew of 263, and some augmentees from the Seventh Fleet flagship Blue Ridge, support the embarked Seventh Fleet staff. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class John E. Woods. (RELEASED)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sea King Rescue...

I had the good fortune of being rescued under heavy fire by SH-3A C/S "Fetch 53". Incident occurred on 06/25/66 on the coast of Vinh NVN. A great bird & heroic rescue crew.:thumbup_1
They plucked out 2 pilots from different carriers on that one mission! My eternal gratitude to all involved.:)
Thumbnails show 53 later in her career (she later survived the ditching in photo #1).
BzB

Attachments

• Fetch 53.JPG
    Fetch 53.JPG
    883.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Fetch 53-1.jpg
    Fetch 53-1.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 94

highside7r

None
Nice shots of a Gulf Runner H-3, what's up with the III Corps patch? Anyone on the controls in the last pic (Katrina 51)?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had the good fortune of being rescued under heavy fire by SH-3A C/S "Fetch 53". Incident occurred on 06/25/66 on the coast of Vinh NVN. A great bird & heroic rescue crew.:thumbup_1
They plucked out 2 pilots from different carriers on that one mission! My eternal gratitude to all involved.:)
Thumbnails show 53 later in her career (she later survived the ditching in photo #1).
BzB

Armored SH-3A Sea Kings affectionately called "Big Mother" were detted out from HS squadrons to small boats to be close to shore should an aviator need assistance.

sh3abigmother7001c.jpg

They may not be as famous as the Air Force "Jolly Green Giant" (and the Super variant), but they were godsends to aviators in trouble. I'm sure BusyBee would agree he buys for those dudes.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Armored SH-3A Sea Kings affectionately called "Big Mother" were detted out from HS squadrons to small boats to be close to shore should an aviator need assistance.

sh3abigmother7001c.jpg

They may not be as famous as the Air Force "Jolly Green Giant" (and the Super variant), but they were godsends to aviators in trouble. I'm sure BusyBee would agree he buys for those dudes.

I thought that at some point in the war HC-7 became the soul provider of CSAR helos.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought that at some point in the war HC-7 became the soul provider of CSAR helos.

url

The Big Mother story...HC-7 jumped into CSAR as the first dedicated outfit after 6 SH-3As were armored up and passing duty from squadron to squadron in 1966 timeframe. HC-7 was redesignated from HC-1 Det Atsugi and ended up as arguably the most decorated Navy squadron in the conflict including a Medal of Honor winner. There's a great article in Hook on their legacy.

url

exhelodrvr

pilot
The Big Mother story...HC-7 jumped into CSAR as the first dedicated outfit after 6 SH-3As were armored up and passing duty from squadron to squadron in 1966 timeframe. HC-7 was redesignated from HC-1 Det Atsugi and ended up as arguably the most decorated Navy squadron in the conflict including a Medal of Honor winner. There's a great article in Hook on their legacy.

Cdr Lassen was on the staff at Whiting (forget his position) when I went through the HTs; he would stop by the squadrons occasionally. Seemed like a really good guy.