• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer's Sword

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless the design has changed a lot since then (which I doubt), it'd be fine. The current CG swords have a slightly different etching on the blade from the Navy, but that's it. They're essentially identical, they look identical in uniform.

The previous posts addressed refurbishing swords.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can have it, sure. It's the same as the USN sword, except the part that says "US Coast Guard"...

I doubt anyone would care if you used it, and if they did, given its history in your family, they're a dick. Looks the same from 3 feet away...

MidWestEwo

None
So you wear the sword for your own wedding, and for weddings of fellow officers? Nothing else until you are at least an O4 then?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you wear the sword for your own wedding, and for weddings of fellow officers? Nothing else until you are at least an O4 then?

If you are the groom, you do not wear a sword. The swordsmen forming the arch are only ones wearing swords. Only time I've seen anyone wear them were for changes of command and then only the heads of the formations (ie divisions and incoming XO) and folks on podium (except chaplain). Since I still had my Mameluke form my time in the Marines, I held off buying a Navy sword and always borrowed one. Always meant to get one, but never did.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't buy one until you NEED one. Save your dough. As an O3, I actually NEEDED to own one for an overseas billet, so I went ahead and bought a used one on ebay, 200 bucks, used once, no inscription.

MidWestEwo

None
Don't buy one until you NEED one. Save your dough. As an O3, I actually NEEDED to own one for an overseas billet, so I went ahead and bought a used one on ebay, 200 bucks, used once, no inscription.

Oh I wouldn't buy one. I was just going to get my Grandfather's sword since my Grandmother wants me to have it to wear.

FlyinRock

This post made me think of my sword and I took it down from its display case on the wall for a polish. While doing so, I thought of many things in my military career, and where that sword was during it. Nearly, whoa, make that 50 years later, the cost of the sword is miniscule. I have no doubt my son will fondle it, make believe, carve up bad guys, and prevail. Just that image is well worth the cost. I am hopeful he will cherish it when I am long gone.
Some may poo poo the purchase or ownership of a sword but is sure is worth it to me. For those who ask to borrow it, I usually politely decline and ask why they are too cheap to buy one? OTOH, my sword has been used to cut the USMC birthday cake more than once because it was the senior sword in attendance.
It is a proud symbol for my family and heritage in the USMC.
Semper fi
Rocky