• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer's Sword

snake020

Contributor
Nothing wrong with getting a sword as an Ensign. And speaking of Mess Dress, might as well pick it up when you get a chance, because wearing mini medals with chokers or a bowtie with SDBs looks completely ghey.

White coat, Black coat, or both?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I was lucky enough to get my grandfather's sword passed down to me. My dad had it before me and my grandfather got it when he graduated from the Academy in '39. It's pretty kick ass. I also have his giant shoulder boards (old, old, old style) and weird two pointed cover (cant think of the name). I guess they still got them back before WW2.

phrogpilot73

Nothing wrong with getting a sword as an Ensign. And speaking of Mess Dress, might as well pick it up when you get a chance, because wearing mini medals with chokers or a bowtie with SDBs looks completely ghey.

I agree wholeheartedly... Can you say "precomissioning loan", buy a nice car and every uniform you could ever need (you CAN get them tailored later you know... If you don't - the required purchase might cut into beer/hooker/blow money...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
White coat, Black coat, or both?
I would get whichever you need first . . . white is easier because it doesn't have to be restriped if you get promoted; just uses the standard shoulder boards. All is the same except the coat, anyway. Personally, I got the white for my first post-ROTC dining out, and am holding out on buying the blue coat until I need it for the next winter formal/dining out I go to. Usually there's enough warning of those occurrences to put an order in to Abbott's.

I wouldn't get mess dress right away; you likely won't need it in A-pool or Primary. My Advanced squadron had a dining out so I shelled out for it then. It seems not many JOs in the squardon had it; I think between students and O-3 instructors maybe 4-5 of us wore mess dress. But I reiterate that IMO the alternative looks fricking ridiculous.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you would rarely see that on anyone outside of DC and below the rank of Commander.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
While the flight suit change-of-commands are the best, full dress does happen sometimes. Some weddings have it too for bridal party - just depends.

GSEtaking-off

SNA
pilot
If you are into traditions, a sword is a nice thing to have given to you at your commissioning. My parents bought one for me as a graduation present and hopefully someday I will be able to pass it on to one of my two sons. In the mean time, even if I never wear it, it will make a nice wall hanging in my office at home. The thing that sucks is that the blades are only ceremonial quality; so that rules out dueling with your buddies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While the flight suit change-of-commands are the best, full dress does happen sometimes. Some weddings have it too for bridal party - just depends.

Never been to a flight suit COC. The SWO's in my office said they usually have full dress COC's, which I think are nice since they are traditional.......

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never been to a flight suit COC. The SWO's in my office said they usually have full dress COC's, which I think are nice since they are traditional.......
Agreed. While I like being able to go to work in my pajamas as much as the next guy, there is a place for spit and polish.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None

Been to three...two squadron and one CAG - all on the boat though. I wouldn't call it the norm by any stretch, but it beats the potential of destroying a set of whites underway. Like I said before, ashore full dress isn't as rare as some would think.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
if I'm not mistaken, the VFA-125 CoC this summer was in whites....only fleet change of command that I have ever seen

MasterBates

Resurrecting a zombie thread, but I have a couple sword related questions..

I have a set of Abbotts SDBs. Shockingly they still fit. They have a zipper on the left side, where chokers have zippers for a sword. Problem is, zipper just opens to a seam. Is there some tacking in there I have to cut, or do I have to bring them to a tailor to get fixed?

That and I apparently have to break down an buy a sword finally. Some clown here on AW is getting married and I'm in the sword arch.