• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer's Sword

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
At OCS we had to have the uniform shop open that up for us, took less than five minutes.

torpedo0126

Resurrecting a zombie thread, but I have a couple sword related questions..

I have a set of Abbotts SDBs. Shockingly they still fit. They have a zipper on the left side, where chokers have zippers for a sword. Problem is, zipper just opens to a seam. Is there some tacking in there I have to cut, or do I have to bring them to a tailor to get fixed?

That and I apparently have to break down an buy a sword finally. Some clown here on AW is getting married and I'm in the sword arch.

the newer abbott uniforms dont have that seam. you can cut it yourself, just don't go edward scissor hands on it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check the inside lining on the left side . . . does it look like there's a sword slit which is sewn shut, or is there nothing there? They may have started sewing shut the slit so it doesn't sag on the rack. Good quality suit manufacturers do this with the outside pockets. You're supposed to have the tailor open them when you get it fit. Or else maybe they screwed up and just built the lining over it.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The slit should just pull apart, we used to wear swords with SDBs on duty and we had to pull the belt loop through that hole.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Full dress CoC are quite common in VP land. I've never seen a VP COC that didn't have the exulted party in full dress get-up. The proletariat in the audience were usually in SDBs.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The post was about "formal dress," which is the mess dress with white tie and waistcoat. I got it for my sister-in-law's wedding, as it was white tie anyway. If you don't mind spending the money for formal accessories you'll never wear again, it looks pretty damn pimp.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
The slit should just pull apart, we used to wear swords with SDBs on duty and we had to pull the belt loop through that hole.

With a little preliminary fencing experience, that could be a very effective posture for an ROTC unit's security. I can see the logbook entry now... "Officer spaces, Midshipman spaces secure. Unit geedunk infiltrated by local vagrant. Vagrant fled after SDO administered small cut to outer edge of offender's ear. Informing of campus police deemed unnecessary. NFETP..."

sickboy

pilot
With a little preliminary fencing experience, that could be a very effective posture for an ROTC unit's security. I can see the logbook entry now... "Officer spaces, Midshipman spaces secure. Unit geedunk infiltrated by local vagrant. Vagrant fled after SDO administered small cut to outer edge of offender's ear. Informing of campus police deemed unnecessary. NFETP..."

My freshman year the MIDN lounge was infiltrated by a squirrel. Because of a mid waiting for sword practice to start, the varmint left his tail behind.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Can someone help with with a sword reg question? Husband has his grandfather's old sword, but the leather on the scabbard has basically crumbled and fallen off. I'd like to get it fixed as a gift for him now that he's all hinge-y and might use the thing, but I have no idea if there are regulations. Can just take this to a leather worker or something and tell them to cover it, or is there anything special I need to know?

Oh, and what color is the leather? It looks like it was black; is that correct?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The leather is indeed black.

I'd say go to a leatherworker with a picture of a current, new sword and ask him what he can do. I'm sure it can't be all that difficult a project.

There are probably MILSPECs on the sword - there are for everything - but that's really for manufacturer standardization. Just get something done that looks at least close enough.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
You don't need to get Mess Dress until your a LCDR; unless you're going to wear it for your own wedding don't get it yet. When you need it, check shops out in town that do uniform work, you may be able to pick up a used jacket. I've worn that white top once... for the record merlot does NOT come out of white polyester!!
For the sword, if you get it as a gift, great. If not, you can always borrow one from someone who did get one as a gift.
The only time you'll see swords used is Change of Command and Weddings. You can always find a buddy who is in a different squadron or not going to the wedding to borrow from.
Oh, chaplains get really pissed when you start sword fights in church! Pilots, swords, open bars and bridesmades are NEVER, EVER a good combination... unless your a single JO!!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Oh, chaplains get really pissed when you start sword fights in church! Pilots, swords, open bars and bridesmades are NEVER, EVER a good combination... unless your a single JO!!

For the love of god, please say there's a long and hilarious story behind this.

MidWestEwo

None
I have a question about my Grandfather's sword. He was an officer in the Coast Guard and my grandmother wants me to have his sword after I commission. Are the CG swords at all the same as the Navy swords? Also, is it acceptable to add it to your dress uniform if it is refurbished?