• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Officer's Sword

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
I was doing research on the Naval Officer's sword in regards to commissioning ceremonies. All I can find is information about the Marines swords. Can someone spread some information regarding newly commissioned officers and the tradition of swords. I've seen some writing that only O-4s and above can carry swords, and I've been told otherwise by other people, but people I would be less inclined to believe. Is it required to purchase one for commissioning, or are you even allowed to have one? I have also seen somewhere that a newly commissioned Ensign was given a sword as an award. Does this truly happen? I would greatly appreciate some insight.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was doing research on the Naval Officer's sword in regards to commissioning ceremonies. All I can find is information about the Marines swords. Can someone spread some information regarding newly commissioned officers and the tradition of swords. I've seen some writing that only O-4s and above can carry swords, and I've been told otherwise by other people, but people I would be less inclined to believe. Is it required to purchase one for commissioning, or are you even allowed to have one? I have also seen somewhere that a newly commissioned Ensign was given a sword as an award. Does this truly happen? I would greatly appreciate some insight.
I've worn swords pre and post commissioning. Pre commissioning, it was for ROTC stuff and weddings. Post commissioning, it was for weddings only. You are NOT required to purchase a sword for commissioning. Can you have one? Sure, they make great paper weights or walking sticks. Seriously, at this point in your career, you don't need one. It's just another thing you'll have to drag from place to place as you move around. When you get more senior (O-4), then it may be more appropriate. But for now, don't worry about it. I have seen Midshipmen and new Ensigns get swords for awards, yes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
*most* of the NROTC types that I have known to have one were awarded it for one reason or another (traditionally at my unit the BnCO is given one at the end of their billet cycle for example). Like was said before, the only time I have actually used one was in a wedding sword arch. I've also seen them given as commissioning presents from parents, but IMO it would be a little bit dorky at this point in your career to buy one for yourself.....unless you are "that guy" at your unit ;)

edit: I see you are a STA-21, so who knows....it might be more symbolic for your career than it would be for mine as a mid

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Only if you want one. You don't need it (not required by the regs) as a JO, but some think it's cool/nice to have. Don't worry about being "that guy" either, it's not like you wear it to work. If you want one, get it, if not, no worries. Even if you do get it, you won't use it much, as said for weddings and "maybe" change of command, but mostly you'll just have it to have it.

Rumor has it that O-4 and above have to have one, but I'll defer that to those in the know.

MrSaturn

Contributor
My parents asked me if I wanted a sword for my commissioning gift. I politely said no and asked if they could get me a Garmin GPS instead.

Never have to use map quest again. If you need a sword plenty of people have them

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Only if you want one. You don't need it (not required by the regs) as a JO, but some think it's cool/nice to have. Don't worry about being "that guy" either, it's not like you wear it to work. If you want one, get it, if not, no worries. Even if you do get it, you won't use it much, as said for weddings and "maybe" change of command, but mostly you'll just have it to have it.

Rumor has it that O-4 and above have to have one, but I'll defer that to those in the know.

for clarification, my reference to being "that guy" only applies to un-commissioned mids who pick one up along with a T-34 NATOPS manual during their sophomore year :)

KSUFLY

pilot
I wear mine to every brief then stow it in the baggage compartment while flying. That way if I crash, I can protect myself from the Texans until I can call in air support and coordinate a rescue.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
for clarification, my reference to being "that guy" only applies to un-commissioned mids who pick one up along with a T-34 NATOPS manual during their sophomore year :)

Haha, excellent! Or buys brown shoes, SDB (even though he lives in Daytona), oh yeah, and has 2 pairs of Corframs, just in case. ;)

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Hey, I really appreciate everyone's post. I was wondering about that for a while when I read some article, so I was curious.

Lol, by the way KSU, I am a Texan. We aren't all crazy!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing wrong with getting a sword as an Ensign. And speaking of Mess Dress, might as well pick it up when you get a chance, because wearing mini medals with chokers or a bowtie with SDBs looks completely ghey.