• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVAL OFFICER TO CIVILIAN LIFE

Pags

N/A
pilot
My general impression for defense:
OEM CTR (guys who make their own stuff):
-like hard to find mil skills like test pilot or a specific type of pilot
-seems harder to break into the engineering staff as a guy with mil+stem degree
-like senior guys with a nice Rolodex to get their ideas on the right desks and to run proposals
-maybe some PM work but they really like a business background for that
CSS CTR (Runs the gamut from huge to small)
-lots to be found here, can be an ISR operator overseas or a guy making PPTs for a major staff
-mil experience can play more easily here as they are often looking for a billet fill or a guy to help the ACDU (office corporate knowledge)
-can also end up being galley slaves for ACDU who row the ship
-can be used to get into GS
GS
-can be hard to get into due to very specific requirements. Also agency specific.
-helps to know a guy but they do tend to value user experience...but degree requirements can be stringent
-they like folks who know the agency, here's where CSS comes in

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Maybe for industrial type management (line production supervisor/manager, etc.)

otherwise, ehhhhhhh

It depends. I've been contacted by a lot of headhunters who are looking for lower and middle management types for white collar jobs. These are usually designed to train for specific business divisions so that they can hire from within. They are usually looking for candidates who know how to work with people, build POA&Ms, and manage schedules. Any specific tasks or skills beyond that will be trained for. These usually end up being sales managers or office managers and NOT engineering managers, HR, accounting, or some other specialized technical skillset. I've had friends who got out after their commitment and got hired to these programs and most of them ended up in sales or managing some other unskilled business function.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It depends. I've been contacted by a lot of headhunters who are looking for lower and middle management types for white collar jobs. These are usually designed to train for specific business divisions so that they can hire from within. They are usually looking for candidates who know how to work with people, build POA&Ms, and manage schedules. Any specific tasks or skills beyond that will be trained for. These usually end up being sales managers or office managers and NOT engineering managers, HR, accounting, or some other specialized technical skillset. I've had friends who got out after their commitment and got hired to these programs and most of them ended up in sales or managing some other unskilled business function.
I think some of it with the JO headhunters is a perception that they'll find a person who is going to be that go-getter, work late and answer the phone on weekends (or come in when called) in a late twenties/thirty-something former military officer. There's a word for this- stereotype.

People like that are found in a lot of walks of life, but soon to be separated and looking for work JOs just happen to be fertile recruiting ground for it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Maybe for industrial type management (line production supervisor/manager, etc.)

otherwise, ehhhhhhh
See also Amazon Warehouse Supe and Oil Field Supe and other cat herder kind of jobs that need the type of small unit leadership skills that all JOs and Senior Enlisted probably have (feel free to read this as using a carrot, stick, and carrot shaped stick to make large groups of folks to meet performance goals for menial tasks).

WannabeAOP

Here you go: https://jobs.boeing.com/military-skills-translator

If you want to go into psychology and serve your country, I would highly recommend you start preparing to enter a PhD program and look into joining the Navy as a Medical Service Corps officer to be a Navy shrink on either active or reserve duty.

There's a number of other psych-related military jobs, FYI. I began my search in a similar manner (thinking only clinical counseling), but there's more. If you look into IO psych or human factors, you'll be pretty marketable to corporations post-service. If you're more into merging STEM and psych, look into research/experimental psych or even physiology. That's the direction I went. You can stop at a masters with either of those routes and do well for yourself, but a PhD never hurts (if you have the extra three years to earn one after an MS).

Some non-clinical Navy job suggestions (although there are equivalent roles in all branches): research psychologist (need a PhD or four years AD and a masters), aerospace experimental psychologist (need a PhD), aerospace experimental and operational physiologist (need a masters or four years AD and a bachelors).

Good luck either way :)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
There's a number of other psych-related military jobs, FYI. I began my search in a similar manner (thinking only clinical counseling), but there's more. If you look into IO psych or human factors, you'll be pretty marketable to corporations post-service. If you're more into merging STEM and psych, look into research/experimental psych or even physiology. That's the direction I went. You can stop at a masters with either of those routes and do well for yourself, but a PhD never hurts (if you have the extra three years to earn one after an MS).

Some non-clinical Navy job suggestions (although there are equivalent roles in all branches): research psychologist (need a PhD or four years AD and a masters), aerospace experimental psychologist (need a PhD), aerospace experimental and operational physiologist (need a masters or four years AD and a bachelors).

Good luck either way :)

As a psychologist who is doing psychologist type work for the Navy while wearing the uniform, you will be a member of the Medical Service Corps.

WannabeAOP

As a psychologist who is doing psychologist type work for the Navy while wearing the uniform, you will be a member of the Medical Service Corps.
Correct, all are within the MSC. Just differentiating between the "shrink" job and the other non-clinical research-type jobs available for those looking into psych careers.