• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVAL OFFICER TO CIVILIAN LIFE

wizkid320

As a current college student I want to go through OCS and get out in 4 or 5 years. Is there a large market for good paying civilian jobs if I do SWO? I want to get into psychology or business later on in my life , what communities or jobs would be good to do in the navy?

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I understand wanting to plan ahead, but don't sell the Navy short, you might just love it. Also, be very careful to guard your intentions if your Navy career goal is a quick turn. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but my recommendation would be to keep it to yourself and "play to win". And in fairness to any employer, not just Uncle Sam, no one wants someone around or will place a person in any sort of noteworthy billet if they're already looking for the next career before he first one even started. Just my 2 cents.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A friend of mine, Marine Corps helicopter pilot, opened a Chic Fil A franchise going on five or ten years ago now. That company is particularly selective when it comes to granting new franchises. Last I heard he's doing quite well.

(Aside from any easy fast food jokes about Brad Hamilton, Lane Myer, or the drive through kid at the Springfield Krusty Burger.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A friend of mine, Marine Corps helicopter pilot, opened a Chic Fil A franchise going on five or ten years ago now. That company is particularly selective when it comes to granting new franchises. Last I heard he's doing quite well.

(Aside from any easy fast food jokes about Brad Hamilton, Lane Myer, or the drive through kid at the Springfield Krusty Burger.)
Wonder how the required monthly religious education sessions are. ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’d rather have that than (now banned by executive order) inherent bias training, weekly safety briefs, and risk management training on the same chart ad nauseam.
To each their own. FWIW, I have yet to experience any of the above in any squadron I've been in.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have a friend that works at their HQ, and although Christianity was very important to Mr. Cathy, they are very tolerant. He has a Jewish guy and a Muslim
On his team and they go out of their way to make sure they have what they need to observe their faiths.
I had a college roommate (now an ex-VP guy) who's grandfather had grown up with and been best friends with Truet Cathy. If I recall the story correctly the grandfather had been asked to join in this new venture that Truet was considering on the ground floor. He said, "no thanks" but believe he ended up working for CFA for some time and at a high level but he wasn't a partner.

GroundPounder

I had a college roommate (now an ex-VP guy) who's grandfather had grown up with and been best friends with Truet Cathy. If I recall the story correctly the grandfather had been asked to join in this new venture that Truet was considering on the ground floor. He said, "no thanks" but believe he ended up working for CFA for some time and at a high level but he wasn't a partner.
In addition to being a good place to work, they pay well.

My friend started working at a Chick-Fil-A with his best friend from High School. His friend stayed, and has worked his way to the top. My friend just had to be the police, and is 30 years behind....

If I could stand living in metro Atlanta, I would apply for an opening they have now.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Former commissioned officer = mucho extra credit points.
I believe you're living somewhat in the past with this one.

With today's society there is a lot of lip service paid to TYFYS but that is about it. Many corporations see military officers as too rigid. In the past, there were many well paying jobs that were strictly supervising/managing that did not require a lot of technical expertise. Former military officers excelled in these positions but unfortunately they are becoming fewer every years.

From my former officer friends that weren't pilots or that were pilots not going the civilian flying root, those with good technical skills (supply, IT, nukes, etc.( go good jobs quickly. Those that had a non-technical degree and did the basic SWO or pilot stuff (for nonflying civilian job route) had a much harder time many times accepting a lesser job than they were seeking. The technically skilled said it was the skill that got them the job, not being an officer. Both agreed that taken by itself, being a military officer was at best a tie breaker.

I am not, of course, talking about the defense industry were the prerequisite for the is military service.

Since I never sought a job outside the airlines/flying, I'll admit this is not first hand information based on personal experience. But It's based on the experiences of a good number of people I served with.