• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAF Andrews, what's close?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're (relatively) safe in Bethesda - the flight docs there are too busy being oppressed by the Navy Nurse Corps!

Let me see if I can figure out this chat thing and I'll get you more info...

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
MB, is there any reason why you're limited to $60.00 for lodging? Quick check of the per diem rate at Andrews shows $154.00 until 1 September, then it jumps to $201.00.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Understood. I've stayed at Bolling before, the rooms on base are decent, cheap, and fairly close to downtown. I had a rental, though, so I couldn't tell you about the metro.

phrogpilot73

There is a metro stop walking distance from Bolling - but that's another place you don't want to walk to the metro. Again, if you try to stay there - take a cab to the metro.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
There is a metro stop walking distance from Bolling - but that's another place you don't want to walk to the metro. Again, if you try to stay there - take a cab to the metro.

Does Bolling smell like crap? When I worked at NRL (right next to Bolling) the sweet scent of the DC sewage treatment plant permiated the summer air.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Bolling DOES smell just like the wastewater treatment plant right next door. MB..Flash....pm me so we can get together. Bates.....you're even welcome to stay at my place if you'd like.

phrogpilot73

One more thought, if you decide to head towards Annapolis/Baltimore after some debauchery in DC, if only for the day - let me know. I could probably pick you up at the New Carrollton Metro station (Orange Line) and give you a ride either to Annapolis or to a light rail station to take you into Baltimore...

Huggy Bear

pilot
I'll second the mothion for the navy lodge at bolling. I never smelled sewage and I stayed there a handful of times. I can't speak for the transport situation as I always had a car there. Seems like the neighborhood around bolling is rough. If you're drinking (do I even have to ask :)) just suck up the cost of a cab or hope you can meet some nice honey to drive you home.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I second Annapolis, especially Cantler's. However, you'll need to rent a car since it's about and hour drive from DC to Annapolis and cab fare isn't cheap. In terms of DC, I always enjoyed Alexandria, Foggy Bottom and Georgetown. The mall and downtown are great as well, just avoid south and east DC as those are the worst places.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Bolling is okay...Anacostia is a little scary, but if you travel in a herd you should be okay. Georgetown, go to Froggy Bottoms, good bar, good food. Old town Alexandria is good, also on the Metro. The American History museum is a must if you haven't been, especially the Revolutionary war stuff...reminds you why you serve!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Go to the Navy Yard and talk directly to the Naval Aviation News folks in Bldg 200 about the AWG article.
Just don't walk up to the CNO's house, the Marines frown on that.:icon_wink

It's an "interesting" walk from the metro, about 4 blocks as I recall.
Have fun, bro.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
If you care about your life, spend the money and spend as much time out of Prince George's county as possible! (basically the immediate surroundings of Andrews). Can't imagine big, bald white dudes are very common in that area. Head for DC or VA. Also, Annapolis is probably infinitely better than hanging around in PG county. Best bet would be to try and hook up with the other AW's offering on here.

phrogpilot73

If you care about your life, spend the money and spend as much time out of Prince George's county as possible! (basically the immediate surroundings of Andrews). Can't imagine big, bald white dudes are very common in that area. Head for DC or VA. Also, Annapolis is probably infinitely better than hanging around in PG county. Best bet would be to try and hook with the other AW's offering on here.
+1

PG County SUCKS! The only thing worth checking out is Clinton Cycles, again - Triumph heaven for you...