• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAF Andrews, what's close?

MasterBates

AirWarriors,

I, the infamous MasterBates will be invading DC this weekend. As we only get $60 for hotels in DC :eek: as a MAX, I will probably be living la vida BOQ.

What is close by, or able to get to easily? Looking to have a good time without blowing all my perdiem on cabs.

Is the Metro close? And does it run all night? Also, is it safe to walk back after few, or is it a "you better be sober, or you get mugged" walk?

Don't know the DC area that well, but willing to go have a good time. And by that, I mean drinking.

Be arriving Friday afternoon and departing noon-ish on Sunday. AN XC with the acting XO. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AirWarriors,

I, the infamous MasterBates will be invading DC this weekend. As we only get $60 for hotels in DC :eek: as a MAX, I will probably be living la vida BOQ.

What is close by, or able to get to easily? Looking to have a good time without blowing all my perdiem on cabs.

Is the Metro close? And does it run all night? Also, is it safe to walk back after few, or is it a "you better be sober, or you get mugged" walk?

Don't know the DC area that well, but willing to go have a good time. And by that, I mean drinking.

Be arriving Friday afternoon and departing noon-ish on Sunday. AN XC with the acting XO. :D

You DO NOT want to take the Metro closest to Andrews, it is the worst line and is in a horrible area, right next to ONI as a matter of fact. I went to high school there but I wouldn't hang out down there if I could help it.

I would get a cab to go to either Georgetown, Arlington (Clarendon/Courthouse area) or one of the other hotspots downtown. Scoob lives downtown and probably has better gouge on where to go, Mumbles lives in Alexandria and probably knows the places to hang out there. Hell, I might even be up for a drink or two if you and a few other AW'ers are so inclined.

You may also want to look at Annapolis. It is flooded with tourists this time of year but has a few pubs that are decent. I will defer to Schnugg and others more familiar with the area.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
AirWarriors,

Not sure about the Navy side of Andrews itself, but SE DC is a pretty bad part of town. The Metro doesn't stop at one time, each stop has a closing time, but generally they run until 3am. Best bet is to check the schedule (http://www.wmata.com/). I wouldn't walk back to anyplace. The green line runs to Morningside, which is a cheap cab to Andrews.

Georgetown is a great place to go out, but you have to get off at Roslyn or Foggy Bottom and walk or take a cab (cab it from Roslyn, it's a transfer station and easier to get a cab there).

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
It has been a long time since I lived in DC, but I remember the Metro being the best way to travel in the city. I won't disagree w/ Flash about the Green line out there near Andrews as I have never been out that way, but once you get to the city the Metro is great. I second the Annapolis comment, I believe this is peak season for Maryland Blue Crab and there are lots of great crab houses in DC and Annapolis. Check out Phillips seafood.

Avalanche24

I wouldn't go on the metro late at night in any condition.....then again I'm a woman, so things are a little different.
I'm not all that impressed with Annapolis, but you should hit up Georgetown like he said.
And jeez....$60 isn't even enough for one night in a motel room in BFE Pennsylvania.
I hear 10 Downing Street has "nice lady and good food," though. :icon_tong

brownshoe

Contributor
AirWarriors,

:D

Sorry, MB nothing is close. But I will say this... if nothing has changed the "O" club is really happening Friday nights. Lots of base workers and various government types from all over D.C. went for the evening. Stay put and enjoy the crowd... it used to be the best "O" club in the area. A good friend who was in the Army at Walter Reed and I would go most every Friday evening.

Mumbles and Flash should chime in here.

Steve

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
There is a Q on the Navy side, they are always "full." Right... Anyway, they will set you up with a discounted hotel outside the gate. I'd say old town Alexandria: Murphy's (King & Washington). Everything is right around there... good times.

Inside the city, Adams Morgan. Just about anywhere is good, but it'll be more expensive; and harder to do transport.

Wish I could head up that way, my old stomping grounds. PM me if you want more specific.

brownshoe

Contributor
Annapolis ... cold beer ... soft shell crabs ... read no further. :)

I kinda think MB has had the crabs.:) But ah yes, the land of pleasant living... I agree, if Casey wants to head that way. Fer piece from AAFB though. (Just kidding MB.) (BTW... I have... I don't know what they do down there, but they stay busy.)

Steve

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy Lodge at Bolling AF Base; BOQ at the Navy Annex; CBQ at Bolling are all very close to downtown DC.

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogpilot73

If you decide to head towards Annapolis - let me know. I'm on the way from Andrews, and there's a Navy Lodge on the Naval Station. Parent's weekend is over, so no hot underage girlfriends to oogle, but shitloads of drunk women in downtown. If you do trek to Annapolis (and now is a good time to do it, since the Brigade isn't back yet), I'd recommend Cantler's for dinner, and just starting at McGarvey's and working your way towards Ram's Head. There's enough bars to find one you like.

If you don't do Annapolis - I agree about the crappy metro area near Andrews (you're close to SE DC down there), and would suggest Old Glory Barbeque on M street in Georgetown. It's been a while since I've partied in Georgetown, so I don't know what the good bars are. Old Town Alexandria was always my favorite when I was in Quantico - but if you're trying to do it on the super cheap... Cab would be pricey.

I also recommend you check out Clinton Cycles (6709 Old Branch Avenue - Camp Springs, MD) right down the street from Andrews. You will think you've died and gone to Triumph heaven...

Just reread your post, important answer: NO - the Metro doesn't run all night. Here's the 411 on the Metro.

Bolter

pilot
Anacostia is not too far, so if you are looking to spend that 60 bucks on some crack and a fresh case of VD, you're in luck. Otherwise, I would go with the post about Annapolis!

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
MB -

If you can make it around the beltway, there's a BOQ on the grounds of the National Naval Medical Center, that's walking distance to the Medical Center Metro. I stayed there earlier in February or March, and it was $20 or $30. (There is a Navy Lodge too, but that will exceed your $60.) You'll be able to take the Metro in to Downtown Bethesda, Adams Morgan, and Downtown DC.

PM me if you want more details.

Rugger

MasterBates

Rugger, I may be interested, but lets just say I have Flightdocophobia after my last run in with NOMI. You think me staying at at NNMC would be safe?
:scared_12