• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAF Andrews, what's close?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm out of town for the weekend or I'd host you in Annapolis. Got a guest room for your next X/C.

Get out of DC if you can. Enjoy your time in the "real world."

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
^^^ I know, the county has turned into a hotbead of crime over the past 10 years. When I was there PG county was still respectable. Now, I do agree, it does suck. Just giving you a hard time...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know, the county has turned into a hotbead of crime over the past 10 years. When I was there PG county was still respectable. Now, I do agree, it does suck. Just giving you a hard time...

No it hasn't, it has been that way for more than 25 years, more recently spreading outward to the fringes. Says the guy who was born and raised in Bowie and attended high school in Suitland.

Getting back on topic.......MB, you might want to check out any lodging at Ft Myer if you are looking at Northern VA. Other than that, Annapolis is still a good bet if you can get lodging up there.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Having just returned from NAF Andrews 15 minutes ago, I am reminded that if you don't have a POV you're in the hurt locker. If you can get one covered on your orders, you're set. Might even be worth getting a cheap one on your own nickle though, since cab fares can add up fast. The Navy side is on the "far" side of the base, and is rather inconvenient to the Main Gate. You'd think there might be a shuttle between the Metro and Andrews, but you'd be wrong...

I think others have pretty much hit all thr highs and lows, but here's a couple of other thoughts:

Old Town Alexandria: Union Street is a big weekend night destination; you can usually find some -209 miscreants hanging out there. Lots of other places to bounce in and out of as well. The Clarendon-Ballston corridor (on the Orange line) also has a number of excellent bars & restaurants - especially if you like Vietnamese.

DC: Should be a nice weekend, so if you haven't visited before, go do the touristy things - Air & Space Museum, look at the Washington Monument (but don't wait in line to go up in it), Vietnam / Korea/ WWII Memorials, check out the White House from Pennsylvania Avenue, walk down to Capitol Hill. That should dry you out nicely for another night of getting big.

Annapolis: If you decide to head there, check if rooms if the USNA Q are available - very nice, and reasonably priced.

MasterBates

At the recommendation of a couple on here, I have secured a room at the Bethesda BOQ.

NAF was being a PITA about it. I have access to a POV for the weekend so that will help.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Another recommendation if you have the time, check out Ellicott City and the historic district. Really cool place during the summer.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Everything Phrog has said about Annapolis I second (esp. Cantlier's - spelling?) - but I'd also like to add in Ram's Head Tavern on West St. downtown. Great beer selection there and great atmosphere.

And for the record, did anyone see the page about Cantlier's in one of the more recent Maxims?

Clux4

Banned
There is an Enterprise rent-a-car across field beside the tower. You might need to book early because of the weekend.
Anacostia used to be bad but with the new stadium, DC is trying to clean that whole place up.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
There is an Enterprise rent-a-car across field beside the tower. You might need to book early because of the weekend.
Anacostia used to be bad but with the new stadium, DC is trying to clean that whole place up.

Trying to does not make it so....

I'd echo others with Georgetown or Annapolis as prime

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i just looked at this thread, and saw the line early on about going to a phillips for seafood...

DON'T! Phillips is the garbage that tourists suck up and pay too much for without eating real seafood. There are plenty of mom and pop places in Baghdad by the bay that make a much better soft shell sandwich or blue crab crabcake than phillips, for less dinero.