• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAF Andrews, what's close?

phrogpilot73

There is but one crab joint in Annapolis. Cantler's - it's where the locals go. I grew up in Annapolis - and I'll tell you, if I can't go to Cantler's, it's Harris' Crab House on Kent Island for me...

RockySLP

If I were on a trip like this I wouldn't bail out of DC for Annapolis. Maybe if you'd like to go antiquing...

Georgetown
If you only go out once in DC, this is it. M Street is dense with people and bars. Someone mentioned Old Glory. That's a great place to start, especially if they're in compliance with the fire code for once. Recommend Foggy Bottom metro stop on the Blue/Orange line as the best walk or the easiest cab ride to G-town.

Adams Morgan
Perhaps a younger and more energetic atmosphere. Some people even wear non-collared shirts...in direct violation of M Street's dress code. It can be accessed from the Woodley Park Metro stop. Manageable walk. Bethesda is also on the Red Line, meaning this is probably the easiest/cheapest scene to access.

Either Georgetown or Adams Morgan will be hopping on a weekend. You will have a good time.

Alexandria and Arlington would be more difficult to reach and I'd call them hit-or-miss. I'd be in Georgetown.

Never take a cab across the river. Massive surcharges.

MasterBates

What sort of clothes would you guys recommend packing?

Everything has to fit in a helmet bag, including shoes. I was thinking 1 pair shorts, 1 pair jeans, 1 nice shirt, and a couple T-shirts and the other needed crap.

phrogpilot73

If I were on a trip like this I wouldn't bail out of DC for Annapolis. Maybe if you'd like to go antiquing...

Georgetown
If you only go out once in DC, this is it. M Street is dense with people and bars. Someone mentioned Old Glory. That's a great place to start, especially if they're in compliance with the fire code for once. Recommend Foggy Bottom metro stop on the Blue/Orange line as the best walk or the easiest cab ride to G-town.

Adams Morgan
Perhaps a younger and more energetic atmosphere. Some people even wear non-collared shirts...in direct violation of M Street's dress code. It can be accessed from the Woodley Park Metro stop. Manageable walk. Bethesda is also on the Red Line, meaning this is probably the easiest/cheapest scene to access.

Either Georgetown or Adams Morgan will be hopping on a weekend. You will have a good time.

Alexandria and Arlington would be more difficult to reach and I'd call them hit-or-miss. I'd be in Georgetown.

Never take a cab across the river. Massive surcharges.
I tend to agree and disagree with you a bit on this one. Annapolis is much more than antiquing... Hell, there's something like 14 bars within walking distance of the Naval Academy (if he was staying in the Q there, or parking there) and a lot of good food.

I agree with you that if he's not going to find himself in the DC area very often, staying there is the thing to do - after all, there's MORE than enough to occupy his time there. Georgetown and Adams Morgan are good places to go - but don't limit yourself to the Foggy Bottom stop. If you're planning on hitting just M street, that's good advice - but if you get off at Dupont Circle and start walking towards M street - there's a SHITLOAD of nice restaurants along the way.

Old Town Alexandria is hardly hit or miss. Different crowd there, lots of bars on King Street, and if you feel like scoring with a Congressional Staffer - Bullfeathers is the place to do it. Easily reached via metro.

To make things easier:
Georgetown - since you're staying at Bethesda, ride the red line towards Glenmont and get off at Dupont Circle. Hoof it from there (it's three blocks to M St), it will take less time than going to Foggy Bottom (you'd have to ride down to Metro Center and then take Orange/Blue to Dupont Circle).

Adams Morgan - As said, Red Line towards Glenmont - then get off at the Adams Morgan stop.

Old Town Alexandria - Red Line towards Glenmont, transfer to Blue Line at Metro Center towards Franconia/Springfield and get off at the King St station. Walk down King St (it's where most of the bars are).

Arlington - Lots of great restaurants around Crystal City, but the area tends to be busier during the day and not as hopping at night.

By staying at Bethesda, you're going to be able to get all around DC using just the Metro. You don't even need to rent a cab to get there - as said before, don't walk to the Branch Ave metro stop by Andrews, get a cab. Then you can ride the Metro up to Bethesda.

We're coming into DC for dinner with a friend on Saturday so PM me your contact info and we may try and linkup.

What you're planning on packing sounds good - it's pretty much what I'd wear around DC.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Watch out with driving in downtown DC because you'll probably end up driving more than you will be partying.