• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mythbusters to take on: PLANE ON A TREADMILL!!

rugby mike

The plane will fly if and only if Chuck Norris allows it to.

Come on did it really take three pages before someone had to write that

FUPaladin

couldabeen
You are correct that it couldn't happen in real life. It got ugly after that. Make a graph of what you just described (always liked making students do that...) and you'll see why.

I'm wouldn't know how to go about making a graph, but I'll try to describe what I was talking about. You start with a stationary wheel. As soon as you apply any force, the wheel starts to roll and the conveyor matches its movement, and since force is still being applied, the wheel tries to turn faster, which causes the conveyor to move faster, etc. It's a mutually reinforcing system, so the wheel and conveyor spin up to infinity, and how fast that happens depends only on how closely the conveyor can match the wheel's speed.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I guess if I was aiming at the Socratic method, I would follow that with "can you have acceleration without time?".

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
6fc3836e.jpg

nugget81

pilot
I think part of the problem, as previously noted, is that there appears to be two different modes of thinking:

1. The airplane stays in a stationary point over the ground, traveling only as fast as the conveyor belt
OR
2. The airplane is moving across the ground in the opposite direction of the conveyor belt.

Am I understanding this correctly? If so, #1 will not fly and #2 will.

KBayDog

I think part of the problem, as previously noted, is that there appears to be two different modes of thinking:

1. The airplane stays in a stationary point over the ground, traveling only as fast as the conveyor belt

That was my original thinking, from the last treadmill thread. Essentially, a wing with wheels spinning on a treadmill. No wind flowing over the wing, and no engines providing thrust.

It is a moot point. Thanks to the good folks at Boeing, I need neither a runway or a treadmill for flight. Life is good.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That was my original thinking, from the last treadmill thread. Essentially, a wing with wheels spinning on a treadmill. No wind flowing over the wing, and no engines providing thrust.

It is a moot point. Thanks to the good folks at Boeing, I need neither a runway or a treadmill for flight. Life is good.

I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU ARE FLYING AT 25000' AND PUT THE GEAR DOWN...DOES IT MATTER WHAT THE @#$% THE WHEELS ARE DOING????

KBayDog

IF YOU ARE FLYING AT 25000' AND PUT THE GEAR DOWN...DOES IT MATTER WHAT THE @#$% THE WHEELS ARE DOING????

Who said anything about flying at 25,000'? The "myth" to be busted had an airplane on the deck (treadmill), NOT FLYING, and the challenge was to get it airborne by using a treadmill. If you will notice, I said that I thought the discussion revolved around a "wing" with no airflow over it, no source of thrust, and just a treadmill underneath it spinning the tires.

Feel free to continue to geek out. This topic really doesn't interest me; I was just clarifying how I perceived the "treadmill challenge" when I first saw it. I've got more important things to do than debate this silliness.

More important things...like flying, for example. :D

KBayDog

No, actually the challenge is to get the plane flying in spite of the treadmill.

Right. Hence my misunderstanding of the ORIGINAL "challenge." What I pictured was different than what was actually proposed.

It sure is fun watching everyone get riled up over it, though.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Here's the original brain teaser:

"On a day with absolutely calm wind, a plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyor). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. The conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the airplane ever take off?"

And the answer is yes.

Carno

Insane
Right. Hence my misunderstanding of the ORIGINAL "challenge." What I pictured was different than what was actually proposed.

It sure is fun watching everyone get riled up over it, though.

Ah, roger. It is pretty funny, but if I watch too long my head wants to explode.