• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mythbusters to take on: PLANE ON A TREADMILL!!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Maybe the two guys should just stick to making things explode.

I liked the waterheater explosion the best by FAR!!.. Okay back to the thread.. if there is enough airflow over the wing that produces enough lift to ovrcome gravity, then the plane would fly..... No airflow, no lift, = no flying!!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Except if you're assuming an instantly variable speed treadmill, you've got to assume perfectly frictionless wheels, which equates to taking off from a sheet of ice (or other suitably frictionless analogy.) Plane takes off.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every time I think they're going to run out of material down there at M5, they surprise me.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, if you think the plane won't take off, you are wrong. If you continue to voice your wrongness in the face of fact, you are stupid. Here, perhaps a graphic will help drive the point home.

Reactions: E5B

EvilGN

pilot
I sure hope there arent any wing aviators on this site who think the plane WONT fly...if so, turn in your wings...

Here's one way to think of it that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Tie the worlds strongest Bungee (rubber band) to the nose gear of the F-18 (since we know the gear is strong enough to handle the stress of being pulled) chock the plane and pull the bungee way out. now remove the chocks at the same time you accelerate the conveyor in the opposite direction....do you think the plane is just going to sit there? nope, the bungee will overcome what little resistance there is on the wheel bearings and the plane will move fwd...case closed

Reactions: E5B

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
popcorn.gif

rdolin

Finish it!!!

When I first read this debate, I didn't think it would take-off either. However, after further review and looking at a free body diagram, it will move if you assume frictionless wheels. The thing that confused me at first and I think people who don't believe it will take-off, is the use of the word take-off. The plane will not take off immediately. The plane will start to move forward and eventually it will take-off. Bernoulli's principle still applies. Just because the wheel is rotating at take-off speed, the plane's wings are not moving at that speed through the air.

For reference, look at the attached free body diagrams. Now if the wheels are not frictionless, the take-off distance will be normal or more than if the wheels are frictionless. The friction between the ground and wheels is dependent upon the friction of the bearings. Anyone with a college dynamics book will know this. I hope this finally settles this debate.

Attachments

• FBD.bmp
    276.7 KB · Views: 114
  • FBD2.bmp
    219.7 KB · Views: 74

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Fancy physics speak...

Did you actually make those?

I don't know whether to give you props on the extra leg-work, or make fun of you for actually taking the time to do that...

I guess i'm in a good mood, so i'll just give you props.

Much love... I'll let you smart folks argue about physics. It's the "I believe button" for me!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it were a good way to make airplanes fly, then why develop the catapult? We could just put 'em on a conveyor and send them off to the mission. Save a lot of manpower for sure.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The plane will accelerate just like it would normally relative to the air meaning that it will run off of the front of any normal sized conveyor. The conveyor would have to be the size of a normal runway.

If you notice in the clip, they initially test a model on an exercise treadmill. I assume that when they ran the test it just ran off the front of the treadmill before it got enough lift to fly. In the full size test, they use a 2000 ft tarp which would act like a long conveyor instead of just building something just large enough for the plane to fit on.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
If it were a good way to make airplanes fly, then why develop the catapult? We could just put 'em on a conveyor and send them off to the mission. Save a lot of manpower for sure.

Except for maintaining a giant conveyor belt, because the plane stills needs the same length of runway as normal to get up to speed and take off. All the belt can do is push backward on the bottom of the wheels, so the only effect it can have is to make the wheels spin faster as the plane's engines push it forward and it takes off normally. The only reason the plane might not take off in real life is if it had a blowout due to the tires spinning twice as fast as normal. But as a physics problem, the plane takes off just like it would on a normal runway.

phrogpilot73

The key statement is that the conveyor is moving in the opposite direction as the airplane, at the same speed as the airplane. So when you apply thrust, and start to accelerate the conveyor starts moving. Your tires start rotating, but since the conveyor speed isn't based on the tires, but the aircraft it actually won't start moving backwards until you've overcome friction and are moving the aircraft forward. The wheels will turn faster than normal, but the aircraft will still takeoff. The thing is, it'd have to be a huge conveyor because it's going to take the same length of runway for it to take off.

If the conveyor isn't motorized, and is free-wheeling and frictionless, and moves rearward in conjunction with the speed of the tires (not the aircraft), then you won't take off.

I'm thinking everyone is confusing the second case with the first.