• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mythbusters to take on: PLANE ON A TREADMILL!!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

There are a few of us who are exploring flying IFR in gliders. We aren't interested in flying IMC, just IFR. The FARs describe how one can get instrument current in a glider by flying a single engine airplane.

That’s intriguing. Is there a benefit of flying IFR? My ignorance of glider flying makes me think it’s just a VFR aircraft.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That’s intriguing. Is there a benefit of flying IFR? My ignorance of glider flying makes me think it’s just a VFR aircraft.

99.99999% of the gliders out there are VFR only- airspeed, altitude, variometer is about all you get. Some get radios, and transponders, and flight computers, but now you're talking cockpit instrumentation that's worth more than the glider.

FWIW the eastern block countries trained IFR in gliders in the cold war days in Blanik L-13s, but most of those were destroyed.

Equipping one IFR might allow you to get into the flight levels easier on strong wave days. But that whole "climb/descend and maintain" clearance isn't going to work.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
When the hell did that start?! The Blue Ridge club, and the place out at Chilhowie doesn't have that problem (that I know of...).

That's a HUGE bummer.
Mostly it came with the ADS-B mandate. Some clubs “assumed” gliders were exempt and didn’t want to comply but all the old LOAs with busy centers like Potomac were tossed out and rewritten.

I know about the club in New Castle VA, is there one in Chilhowie? I did some growing up in Marion, just up the road, and nothing like that was there back then...the place must be getting more interesting!

taxi1

pilot
I flew for a time at Ridge Soaring here in Central PA. The owner, Tom Knauf, set a bunch of the original distance records, down to Tennessee and back from here. Interesting guy.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I was debating reopening this can of worms, but 2020 is over and what could possi-bly go wrong?

Saw this video the other day in my feed. I haven't seen a description of the physics summed up so succinctly before, as well as a very clear explanation of why people misunderstand the original question.

I saw this the other day... maybe I missed something but I still don't get it. If the wing isn't moving though an Air mass, then the prop is moving all the air backward to equate to forward motion. Right?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Mostly it came with the ADS-B mandate. Some clubs “assumed” gliders were exempt and didn’t want to comply but all the old LOAs with busy centers like Potomac were tossed out and rewritten.

I know about the club in New Castle VA, is there one in Chilhowie? I did some growing up in Marion, just up the road, and nothing like that was there back then...the place must be getting more interesting!
Well. My opinion of the FAA remains unchanged- they're a spineless organization that does absolutely nothing to promote sport aviation in this country. They hide behind fear, and cover themselves in legal jargon so they can say, "it's not OUR fault" to congress. The FAA is their own worst enemy, they are a HUGE reason why development in sport aviation, small airplane, and alternative engines is happening in other countries instead of here.

Sarah Arnold is running an operation there, she bought it maybe 10 years ago. It's been around for quite a while now I suppose.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sarah Arnold is running an operation there, she bought it maybe 10 years ago. It's been around for quite a while now I suppose.

Cool. Different Chilhowe...I was was thinking of a small town in SW Virginia about 70 miles to the NE. Looks like a nice operation.

Should note I agree on the FAA. The Europeans are kicking our ass when it comes to LSA and “light aircraft” advances. I think the FAA would be happy if general aviation in the US just went away.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Man what a small world. I grew up 15 minutes from there, would drive past it heading to the Hiawasee. Back then it didn’t seem too busy. Pretty cool to see it’s doing well.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I don’t that you could in a full size one. I’ve seen the radio controlled ones do dynamic soaring, though. Crazy.

The video I saw was coming close to the speed of sound and like 99g on the glider. Really wild to watch.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Interesting. How does one get a sailplane IFR rated? Instrumentation alone is going to be difficult. especially when a lot of FSDOs won't let you make changes to the airplane's electrical system (unless you're flying experimental...)

Many of the more advanced glider avionics can display a attitude indicator.

The club has an aviation attorney who is also a CFI-G and CFII who is leading the charge. I'm not completely sure of the requirements yet

Meyerkord

pilot
I saw this the other day... maybe I missed something but I still don't get it. If the wing isn't moving though an Air mass, then the prop is moving all the air backward to equate to forward motion. Right?
The wing still moves through the air mass even with the tarp moving in the other direction. The tires on the airplane will just spin faster because the movement of the tires are a byproduct of the prop pushing the plane forward. Whereas in a car, the tires are the driving force. So basically the ground speed (or “tarp speed”) of the plane is doubled but the indicated airspeed remains the same, which is what the aircraft needs to fly

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How do you guys do the O2, portable?

I suppose it depends on how you define "portable". If by portable you mean that I can take the O2 bottles out of my Ventus and Pilatus to refill them then yeah they're portable. But they're a full up aviation LOX system, and both of my airplanes have a dedicated space for them in their design. I generally use a nasal cannula with a pulse flow system for the standard big thermal day. But if you're going to go really high, (into the flight levels on a good wave day) you're taking up a full pressure regulator and full mask.

Also it's important to always use aviation grade O2. Medical grade is hydrated, which freezes and clogs your system in cold weather. That's bad.