• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Beautiful Garand.

Can't wait to get back to the US and resume blowing my cash at the CMP. You can never have enough CMP rifles.

sickboy

pilot
Got any specs on the rifle? Mind if we ask what you paid?

It's a pre-ban National Match M1A. Springfield Armory Receiver with USGI Parts. Somehow I got it for 1600, most go for at least twice that. Reports to come once the transfer is complete.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Ditto. It was a sad day when they took about 5,000 and welded the bolts and put a slug in the barrels of M-14's for the Academy's drill rifles.

It was even sadder the next day when they issued them out and we realized our spiffy new drill rifles were heavier and more maint intensive than our old ones. :eek::(

Your bolt was welded? I had a leaded barrel (until I knocked the lead out accidentally) and the firing pin was ground off the trigger assy. Other than that, I think it would have shot.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
Congrats on the new addition to your family mikwat... the gf had better get used to it... *sigh* it doesn't get any better with a ring on your finger.
:)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
CMP doesn't do M14 sales. Except for a few released a ways back, the government hasn't released its M14s for public sale. They were either demilitarized for drill rifles, destroyed, or are being returned to service.

Most of the ones that were released back in the day are select fire NFA firearms.

Pretty rifle.

Something about how once a gun is built as a machine gun there is no legal way to turn it back to semi-auto only. So all the M-14's uncle sam has are not on the civilian registry and therefore can not be sold as NFA and can't be sold as a semi-auto.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It was even sadder the next day when they issued them out and we realized our spiffy new drill rifles were heavier and more maint intensive than our old ones. :eek::(

You actually cleaned it? Hell, mine never even came out of the locker except to turn it in at the end of the year (I was a Cannoneer so I never drilled :D). I'll caveat that with I did take it out to take it apart every now and again.

Your bolt was welded? I had a leaded barrel (until I knocked the lead out accidentally) and the firing pin was ground off the trigger assy. Other than that, I think it would have shot.

It was, there was a little tack weld right on the firing pin hole. Everything else was there and operational. A new barrel threaded in and a new bolt assembly and mine would've been just like new.

So wait, you guys don't drill with the venerable Garand at USNA anymore?!?

No. It was good riddance too, the Garands were in piss poor condition aesthetically, kinda defeated the purpose of even using them as drill rifles. The plus side was using the M-14 got rid of fix bayonets (unless that's changed since I left).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The plus side was using the M-14 got rid of fix bayonets (unless that's changed since I left).

I don't know about recently, but while I was there bayonets were still used on the M14. I remember during plebe summer when a girl locked her knees during a friday parade, passed out, and sliced her face pretty good with it.

H60Gunner

Contributor
New pony in the stable

Picked this little guy up today. First pistol I've owned that has an ambidextrous slide release, gonna have to get used to that, I'm a lefty.

P3280470-1.jpg

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice. I'm looking at a Pro-Series in 9 mm this week.
Did you get the coupon for two free mags?