• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My BDCP questions leading up to final submission

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
What the h#ll,
I have MEPS tomorrow. I just got off the phone with my recruiter and told me that I need to have my social security card. I don't. Do I have to cancel my physical...

No, you don’t need to cancel your phys. Your SSN card is needed so the MEPS staff can enroll you into this new biometric system.

Your SSN must correspond with the applicants fingerprint, reason why they need your original SSN card, so they can ensure your SSN is the correct one. If an incorrect SSN is inputted into this system, then the incorrect SSN will be associated with your finger print – bad, very bad if there were an investigation or if you were to get in the Navy!! But, you don’t really need your SSN card, anything original with your SSN (SAT scores, W-2s, etc) would be accepted by MEPS. But make sure it has the full SSN and not just the last 4. Had a medical corps applicant (med student) come through my MEPS to phys but didn’t have her SSN card so we pulled up her test scores online she used to get into med school, but it didn’t have her full SSN, just the last 4.

I work in the Navy liaison office and this new system is a pain in the butt. The new biometric system helps to better tracks applicants while they are at MEPS. Every station you go to (medical, the front desk, liaison office, etc) you have to be checked-in and checked out using your finger print – very unnecessary but it has not slowed down the process as we originally had thought. MEPCOM just implemented this new system in February.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Also,
My recruiter said that they want to take x-rays of my shoulder. I had a labrum repair last May. Should I be worried? (I don't know why I am nervous about all this...) Sorry if the questions are stupid.

No need to worry, its normal. You must be going out on a orthopedic consult because there are no X-rays at MEPS. You must have been a waiver or something if you have an ORTHO consult scheduled before your initial phys.

kat27

Renegade,
Thanks so much. I got a little upset thinking about the time it would take to get a social security card. I appreciate it.
Kat

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Renegade,
Thanks so much. I got a little upset thinking about the time it would take to get a social security card. I appreciate it.
Kat

You still need to get a SSN card eventually before you go to OCS, everybody in the Navy needs one (or enlisted do anyway); it takes about 2 weeks to get it. But the Social Security place will give you something called a NUMI, which is like a temp SSN card. It has your SSN on it and is good to for our applicants to DEP, but can’t ship with a NUMI.

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
You probably need to go ahead and order one though, it only takes a little over a week or so to get it in the mail (I had to get a new one, ordered it on the 13th and it came in the mail yesterday).

As far as the shoulder thing...I wouldn't worry. I had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder (clavicle repair with screws and plates and the whole nine yards) 4 years ago and they asked for my medical records for it (and my knee surgery, which was 6 years ago) and how my range of motion was in my knee and shoulder, and if I had any problems with either since my doc released me.

If you're fine, good to go, no problems, then it shouldn't be an issue. I assume they just want to make sure it is fully healed and that it won't be an issue later.

kat27

biograd,
thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. I am def ordering a new ss card when I get home.

chasejj

SWO? What is this "SWO" you speak of?
When I went to MEPS in St. Louis, there was a giant snow storm the night before, so not only did we (females) have to wait until a woman tech to show for the pee test (only about 5 hours...) it also took me in particular about an hour to get finger printed. Does any other MEPS station have an electronic laser scanner that only accepts "perfect"fingerprints? My hand kept sweating and even the head finger printing guy had to come out and personally twist my entire arm around trying to get the machine to accept my prints... the best 11 hours of my life were at MEPS...

Lobster

When I went to MEPS in St. Louis, there was a giant snow storm the night before, so not only did we (females) have to wait until a woman tech to show for the pee test (only about 5 hours...) it also took me in particular about an hour to get finger printed. Does any other MEPS station have an electronic laser scanner that only accepts "perfect"fingerprints? My hand kept sweating and even the head finger printing guy had to come out and personally twist my entire arm around trying to get the machine to accept my prints... the best 11 hours of my life were at MEPS...

Just make sure you get the tech that will rip of your fingers and do it right...might be a little more painful but you get it done faster. (Yes I had this lady and no I didn't have all 10 fingers by the time I was done...:eek:)

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
I am going to MEPS tomorrow morning, have to get up at around 3:30AM.:( I plan on bringing a very thick book! They already misplaced my paperwork once. My recruiter had to call them and get me an appointment, he did not sound happy.

Lobster

I am going to MEPS tomorrow morning, have to get up at around 3:30AM.:( I plan on bringing a very thick book! They already misplaced my paperwork once. My recruiter had to call them and get me an appointment, he did not sound happy.

I really didn't have much downtime, I'm not sure you'll need the book, and if you do have any there were magazines kicking around the place.

red_ryder

None
And don't go commando.. I was not prepared at all for MEPS. I woke up 1.5 hours before the appt and live 2 hours away from the closest station. I ended up making it in time, but in my rush to get out of the house I didn't put underwear on and didn't really think much of it. When I got there they went down the checklist and I got to be the moron that had to speak up when they asked if everyone was wearing underwear. Lucky for me they keep a few spare whitey tighteys lying around and I was able to get everything done. So yeah, set an extra alarm just in case. I don't remember having to bring anything except for a photo ID
"Forgot", riiiiight...I do that all the time. ;) Seriously though, don't wear boxers, lest your balls fall out during the duck walk. :D

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
"Forgot", riiiiight...I do that all the time. ;) Seriously though, don't wear boxers, lest your balls fall out during the duck walk. :D

Yes, wear some real form-fitting underwear. That's the best way to go through MEPS. Feel free to do some extra duck walking in your tighty whities just to show off how easily and freely you move, the docs and your fellow enlistees will be impressed.