• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Lawman

None
It's a good idea to have your armorer candidate check every rifle each night to make sure it's on safe, if he doesn't know to already. Ours saved us a couple of times.

Third Liberty our Armory candidate ended up getting an essay for every rifle that wasnt properly double locked, for those of you that forget those cable locks dont always click but look secure. So yeah he had 3 essays due to the OOD before he was allowed to secure for liberty. Guy was pretty stand up about it too since he didnt go after any of the candidates that hadnt properly secured their rifles. Taught our two armory candidates a lesson though, go down the line and yank on the locks just to confirm they are what you see.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
remember how you had to account for the rifles that belonged to Candidates at sickcall/light duty? I'll never forget being down at the PT field and having one of our instructors roll down with a rifle slung over his shoulder that we had forgotten up in the squad bay. Man we got ****ed up for that. Seems to me like it happened to us more than once, too.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Yeah, this stuff is still alive and well at Navy OCS. You get used to it, but at first, it's a little intimidating.

Oh, and the mirror that was referred to earlier is still there. Tempting to use to get a look, but I never did during OC phase. Seemed like a setup to me.

The greatest thing about OCS is getting dropped, pushing for 20 minutes, then getting dropped again because you didn't drop fast enough. Exquisite.

It's all effective, though, because now that I've been through the beatings and the yelling, I've noticed that so many of the things that used to bother me (pain, discomfort, etc) don't really effect me anymore. I assume that's sort of the point, though, to get you so used to stress that once you get into a situation involving REAL stress, you don't lock up, and can handle yourself efficiently and effectively. Here's hoping it works. ;)

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
remember how you had to account for the rifles that belonged to Candidates at sickcall/light duty? I'll never forget being down at the PT field and having one of our instructors roll down with a rifle slung over his shoulder that we had forgotten up in the squad bay. Man we got ****ed up for that. Seems to me like it happened to us more than once, too.

We had that happen, despite having done everything properly. We had a light duty candidate's rifle (mine) go "missing" at some point, I guess the SI's found a point when nobody was looking at swiped it, probably at chow.

I returned from sick call to the squadbay to find my platoon holding their rifles by the front sightpost, V-grip, out in front of them at 90 degrees and wincing in pain.

The SI was like, "Where the FUC& is my rifle? You guys are gonna hold those rifles out until someone remembers where it is! You had better find it or you're gonna PAY," and so on.

I stepped forward and tried to assume responsibility for it, since it was my rilfe and of course I felt like total sh!t with my platoon getting worked because of my sick call and rifle. They were like, "Get BACK in line, candidate! You weren't even there."

After getting worked over pretty good, they sent us out and back in a few times, and we found the rifle magically appear on my rack, coated in the rainwater that had been drizzling down outside.

Anyway, I'm running out of time and can't elaborate more, but the lesson is that no matter what, keep track of your rifles. :)

Megabomb

Acceptable OCS Clothing

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is permitable to wear Under Armour Loose (heat gear) t-shirts at OCS?

Specifically, Under Armour makes 2 shirts, one in the color olive and the other in Marine Od Green, according to their website:

http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=5&dept_id=7&coll_id=5102&pf_id=1005384

Another image of "olive drab" can be found here:
http://www.goldmanbros.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=18360

First, from the Under Armour website, which color most closely matches the official green of the Marines? Olive drab or marine green?

Second, are these shirts permitted? I believe there is a a very faint "UA" logo on the front - would this cause a problem?

Granted, I'm sure my shirts will either get destroyed or go missing, but that non-withstanding, would these shirts fly with the staff? Thanks.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Marine OD green is the color and I have two of the shirts. They're comfortable, but bad for field use.......you don't want to get caught in a fire with them on. They're fine in a training environment where you aren't liable to get in an accident.

They're issuing a similar shirt in boot camp now, but nonetheless, I wouldn't. There isn't much benefit to wearing them compared to the abuse you'd get. If you really want polyester, pickup the ones in Q-town or the PX that have no logo. I think soffe makes one these days now, too, "dri-fit" or smthing like that.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Didn't do OCS or TBS, but have spent time having fun in the woods in and around Quantico Bay. The good old cotton OD Green shirts are fine enough. They'll stand up to pretty much everything OCS and TBS can throw at you...

Adequate anti-chafing for humps, dries fast enough after mucking through The Quigley, etc. That and they are a hell of alot cheaper.

Lawman

None
This varies from company staff to company staff but the general consensus is you as a Candidate dont rate wearing underarmor shirts. I saw 1 or 2 guys in Alpha that tried to do it but when we asked our Platoon staff about it we were told with a very understood No that we wernt wearing them if we had them and we werent to buy them on liberty either. Now they sure as hell wore them but then again they rated that we didnt. Honestly the cheap OD shirts you are issued are plenty workable. Also you gotta realize that by the time you get through OCS pretty much every one of your shirts save your inspection set is going to need to be marked for PT so even if you could wear them you'd just be ruining a good quality shirt.

One thing you can do and Id recommend this is to buy some of the underarmor bike shorts. You wont need them from day to day but they can really cut down on some of the groin to pants impact on the humps. I didnt have to big a deal with it but a couple guys didnt realize that looser pants are a good idea and ended up with a bit raw up in the crotch which makes your life hell from that point on.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
spandex bicycle shorts are awesome for humps and boots and utes PT events. Highly reccomend them.
Our platoon was allowed to wear the OD green Under Armor cold gear. Only a few spent the money on them though. Probably only necessary for the winter class.

Lawman

None
spandex bicycle shorts are awesome for humps and boots and utes PT events. Highly reccomend them.
Our platoon was allowed to wear the OD green Under Armor cold gear. Only a few spent the money on them though. Probably only necessary for the winter class.

Winter I wouldnt be as suprised with. Honestly Im almost dumbfounded at the idea when people tell me that they cant wear stuff like gortex or underarmor at TBS when its cold. Yes evaluating a person when they are out of their comfort zone is a good thing but at the same time if they can get the equipment why not let them use it.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Winter I wouldnt be as suprised with. Honestly Im almost dumbfounded at the idea when people tell me that they cant wear stuff like gortex or underarmor at TBS when its cold. Yes evaluating a person when they are out of their comfort zone is a good thing but at the same time if they can get the equipment why not let them use it.

Like many things its all mental...some are so unused to working in cold / wet environments that when they are in the field during cold weather they can't deal with it in the manner they want you to...therefore they give you plenty of practice at TBS...