• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Money spent during OCS

About how much money do you end up spending per month while at OCS? I was thinking about paying bills, etc, while I'm away and am not sure how much I'll need for OCS related stuff.

I know you need about $300 in cash when you arrive, but what about after that? Uniforms, equipment, etc? Thanks!

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
My husband spent a total of $2600 on uniforms (they give you a $1250 allowance for this), plus he took $500 down there with him, plus he probably spent another $1000 or so on other stuff such as class dues, stuff to get ready for inspections, and other random stuff. I went and visited him 3 times plus graduation and we, together, probably spent a total of about $6500. I don't know if you have a significant other, but if you do the cost of visiting is expensive...but very well worth it. ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I went and visited him 3 times plus graduation and we, together, probably spent a total of about $6500. I don't know if you have a significant other, but if you do the cost of visiting is expensive...but very well worth it. ;)
Okay, I have to say it......for $6500 you could get drunk and buy a couple of hookers every liberty weekend and still have at least half that amount left over.......:eek: :D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Okay, I have to say it......for $6500 you could get drunk and buy a couple of hookers every liberty weekend and still have at least half that amount left over.......:eek: :D
Well it does depend on the quality of what you buy.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you spend $6500?

For those of you looking at this thread as a means to anticipate what you'll need when you go to OCS, please disregard these large figures. Bring the $300 they tell you to, plus a little more just in case. There are a bunch of small miscellaneous things you're going to want to buy for inspections and personal items as well. Don't worry about uniforms or anything like that - it will all be worked out in the end. By the time you're able to head out on liberty, you'll have access to ATMs and what not if you need extra cash for entertainment. If you're spending $6500 on OCS (where you have little to no living expenses), you're doing something very, very wrong.

Brett

nugget81

pilot
I have a friend who graduated OCS within the last year, and he indicated that it is a very wise idea to save money ahead of time. The largest expenses were uniforms (in the $2500 neighborhood), and going out during liberty. He thought that there would be little to nothing to spend money on while at OCS (other than the recommended cash). In addition, if you are currently receiving pay from the military, you will lose BAS & BAH, and it can take another 3 months to get it back (but you will get backpay).

Moral of the story ~ save some cash before you head to OCS and you'll have one less thing to worry about while you're there.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Listen to Brett. You do not need to worry about uniforms until you are actually at OCS. They have several payment options, including getting an Exchange credit card that will save you 10%. Outside of that, you won't have any large expenses. A few hundred bucks, just like the OCS site recommends, is plenty. As far as going out for liberty and spending a lot of cash at the bar... it's no different than college. If you went out to the bars on the weekends and got completely trashed at significant personal expense, you will have the opportunity to do so again at OCS if you didn't party yourself out in college. You do not need to bring cash for that. As far as becoming a comissioned officer and completing the program, $300-$400 cash is fine. Anything else can be paid by check or credit card. Also, like someone said above, you will eventually have ATM access as well. Don't bring a fat wad of cash just for the sake of it.

IRfly

None
I have a friend who graduated OCS within the last year, and he indicated that it is a very wise idea to save money ahead of time. The largest expenses were uniforms (in the $2500 neighborhood), and going out during liberty. He thought that there would be little to nothing to spend money on while at OCS (other than the recommended cash). In addition, if you are currently receiving pay from the military, you will lose BAS & BAH, and it can take another 3 months to get it back (but you will get backpay).

Moral of the story ~ save some cash before you head to OCS and you'll have one less thing to worry about while you're there.

Close...

Here's the straight dope on pay at OCS.

Unless you're in a college program that pays you at a rate higher than E-5, you'll get E-5 pay. If you are in a college program or are prior service, then you'll also have been getting BAS and BAH in addition to your pay. The big difference when you get to OCS is between people with dependents and people without. For the people with dependents, there will be little change. You'll lose BAS (about $280) because the gov't is feeding you, but you'll get a family separation allowance (about $250), so it more or less evens out. You'll continue to receive BAH.
What bit people in the hindparts, though, was that the folks that didn't have dependents lost both BAS (and didn't get FSA) and BAH. That's a large chunk of untaxable change. Furthermore, the paperwork didn't make it through PSD until about Week Six or so, so the first month that we were there those folks continued to receive their allowances. And as the government giveth, the government taketh away--so some folks got $2.45 pay deposits during one cycle, and found their (now fixed) pay on the following cycle to be greatly reduced from what it had been. You will NOT be reimbursed this money at a later date, but once you get out of OCS you'll receive your allowances again. So I would agree with nugget and strongly advise those without dependents going to OCS to make sure you have a bit of a cushion.

As far as what you'll spend...You'll need to have around $1000-1200 of your own money for uniforms. You can borrow that, if you need to, from the NEX. They give you a no-interest 12-payment chance to pay it off. I left with a bill right at about $1000, and I pay around $83 a month. You can also put that on a Star Card, as mentioned above. $300 is more than enough to bring with you, and you'll be able to go to the NEX and use the ATM there fairly soon after arrival if you need to. How much you spend on liberty is up to you.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
My husband spent a total of $2600 on uniforms (they give you a $1250 allowance for this), plus he took $500 down there with him, plus he probably spent another $1000 or so on other stuff such as class dues, stuff to get ready for inspections, and other random stuff.

That's a lot of random stuff. The only class dues I remember is the 20 bucks you gave 'em when you showed up. Stuff for inspections were very minor. They were usually things like belt buckles, starch, pack of socks/underwear you'd never use, etc. In other words, I'd put the random insepction stuff around $300 or so...if that. Some guys bought an extra pair of black shoes they used only for inspection...that's pretty unnecessary (having an extra pair of sneakers for inspection however, is a good idea).

The initial uniform allowance should cover your NEX bill when you leave, but even then, you can put it on plastic and pay it when you get your allowance...it's not like you need that in your hands. My Abbots bill was $1200 when I left, but again, I associate that as a cost of being in the Navy, not OCS.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
That's a lot of random stuff. The only class dues I remember is the 20 bucks you gave 'em when you showed up. Stuff for inspections were very minor. They were usually things like belt buckles, starch, pack of socks/underwear you'd never use, etc. In other words, I'd put the random insepction stuff around $300 or so...if that. Some guys bought an extra pair of black shoes they used only for inspection...that's pretty unnecessary (having an extra pair of sneakers for inspection however, is a good idea).

It makes you wonder what or maybe who he is inspecting ;)

S.O.B.

pilot
I remember being offered some very low APR loans maybe even zero percent but I forget the details.