• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Money spent during OCS

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear I don't need to spend $6500 while at OCS.

I'm in the situation where I'll be losing my BAH/BAS while at OCS, so that's why I'm wondering how much I'll have to spend while there. I need to still pay bills in the meantime. Luckily I have plenty of time to built a "cushion." Thanks again

Kycntryboy

pilot
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to hear I don't need to spend $6500 while at OCS.
It depends on your situation, if your single and not having any visitors comming down that your paying for than no you will not spend as much as we did, not even close. However, we spent what we spent; without going into a speadsheet I'll give you some numbers on things we spent.

$2,700 on Nex and Abbotts bills (depends on what you get, but I think you'll be spending right around that.
$300 for the trip down to Florida, that was money that payed for gas, hotel as well eating out everyday (every meal) until OCS started, got down on the Thursday before OCS.
$200 for OCS initially, shoes and powerbars and stuff
$250 Class dues (there is a baseline in class dues, if you have more guests at events that you pay for or want more t-shirts expect to pay more than your counterparts (mine was in the middle of what people spent)
$180 first liberty weekend, got a hotel out in town (after 1st PI, 5th week?), if you secure later you'll spend a lot less (could of stayed at the BOQ, but I wanted to get away from the base)
$460 ($140 for hotel for two days)($35 dress for dinning out)($200 gas and food for her down and back)($125 for food for the both of us (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners)
$620 when my wife down to visit me the second time ($210 for hotel for three day, memorial weekend)($200 gas and food for her down and back)($210 for food for the both of us (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners)
$200 for power bars I bought some she bought and sent
$160 on a Nintendo DS and games which made the nights go by better
Thats a little over $5000 spend before Candio phase when you can go out every night and blow money
Would account for rest but to lazy
No money spent on hookers and blow, the wife and the OCR would not allow it.

My best advice to you is if you want to spend the least amount of money possible, be a nasty class (secure later= spend a lot less), be single (concentrate your efforts towards courting some people at Floribama or Seville's, gambling with STD's though), don't order extra t-shirts (your gonna spend $60 dollars Minimum (3 shirts $20 dollars each), so if you have family and they would like a cool souvenir don't do it, get them a post card ($1.00, good deal) Don't drink beer if its not bought for you drink water, lemons should be no charge. Smiles all the way through the bottom :D :D
Bottom line your gonna spend more than you think, $300 is fine your have access to your ATM as was said before, and all you have to have is a $20 bill when you check in.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
It depends on your situation, if your single and not having any visitors comming down that your paying for than no you will not spend as much as we did, not even close. However, we spent what we spent; without going into a speadsheet I'll give you some numbers on things we spent.

$2,700 on Nex and Abbotts bills (depends on what you get, but I think you'll be spending right around that.
$300 for the trip down to Florida, that was money that payed for gas, hotel as well eating out everyday (every meal) until OCS started, got down on the Thursday before OCS.
$200 for OCS initially, shoes and powerbars and stuff
$250 Class dues (there is a baseline in class dues, if you have more guests at events that you pay for or want more t-shirts expect to pay more than your counterparts (mine was in the middle of what people spent)
$180 first liberty weekend, got a hotel out in town (after 1st PI, 5th week?), if you secure later you'll spend a lot less (could of stayed at the BOQ, but I wanted to get away from the base)
$460 ($140 for hotel for two days)($35 dress for dinning out)($200 gas and food for her down and back)($125 for food for the both of us (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners)
$620 when my wife down to visit me the second time ($210 for hotel for three day, memorial weekend)($200 gas and food for her down and back)($210 for food for the both of us (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners)
$200 for power bars I bought some she bought and sent
$160 on a Nintendo DS and games which made the nights go by better
Thats a little over $5000 spend before Candio phase when you can go out every night and blow money
Would account for rest but to lazy
No money spent on hookers and blow, the wife and the OCR would not allow it.

My best advice to you is if you want to spend the least amount of money possible, be a nasty class (secure later= spend a lot less), be single (concentrate your efforts towards courting some people at Floribama or Seville's, gambling with STD's though), don't order extra t-shirts (your gonna spend $60 dollars Minimum (3 shirts $20 dollars each), so if you have family and they would like a cool souvenir don't do it, get them a post card ($1.00, good deal) Don't drink beer if its not bought for you drink water, lemons should be no charge. Smiles all the way through the bottom :D :D
Bottom line your gonna spend more than you think, $300 is fine your have access to your ATM as was said before, and all you have to have is a $20 bill when you check in.

Dude, this reply is most heinous. Kindly give more attention to spelling and grammar in future posts.:icon_wink

Do I understand correctly that you played Nintendo in the evenings while at OCS? If so, I'm with A4s in weeping for our future.

Cheers,
-Paul

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gambling with STD's though

WTF is this bizarre obsession/phobia all about? That's what condoms are for. Is this the result of some religious indoctrination these days? We heard the same line from your wife earlier - who's brainwashing who here? ;)

Brett

S.O.B.

pilot
Dude, this reply is most heinous. Kindly give more attention to spelling and grammar in future posts.:icon_wink

Do I understand correctly that you played Nintendo in the evenings while at OCS? If so, I'm with A4s in weeping for our future.

Cheers,
-Paul

You are the future.

Wingnut

Kill your television
My experience with OCS from a financial perspective, as a single non-prior, was that you shouldn't have much trouble coming out around $1000 ahead if you don't make a habit of blowing money. It's easier than you might think to blow money at OCS, but the required expenses should be more than covered by your pay and allowences. Now, if you want to go chasing syphilis Sue at Floribama every weekend, then you run a good chance of coming out on the negative side financially. And speaking of STD's, my philosophy, religious views aside, is that condoms aren't perfect, and while the gun may seem to have plenty of empty chambers, you're still playing Russian roulette.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
And speaking of STD's, my philosophy, religious views aside, is that condoms aren't perfect, and while the gun may seem to have plenty of empty chambers, you're still playing Russian roulette.
Here you go...she's pretty but you need her a heck of a lot more than I do........

spring-blossom-sock.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And speaking of STD's, my philosophy, religious views aside, is that condoms aren't perfect, and while the gun may seem to have plenty of empty chambers, you're still playing Russian roulette.

That's a ridiculous way to lead your life. By that logic, you should never drive, use a public restroom, or eat a Caesar salad because something bad might happen. Forget about a career in the military - far too risky. You've got to accept a certain amount of risk in order to live a satisfying life, and that includes safe sex, swimming in the ocean, and the occasional consumption of raw egg products. If an active sex life isn't part of your lifestyle, that's fine, but don't hide behind or impugn others with some misguided notion of risk avoidance. Maybe you need to work on your game. ;)

Brett

Lawman

None
That's a ridiculous way to lead your life. By that logic, you should never drive, use a public restroom, or eat a Caesar salad because something bad might happen. Forget about a career in the military - far too risky. You've got to accept a certain amount of risk in order to live a satisfying life, and that includes safe sex, swimming in the ocean, and the occasional consumption of raw egg products. If an active sex life isn't part of your lifestyle, that's fine, but don't hide behind or impugn others with some misguided notion of risk avoidance. Maybe you need to work on your game. ;)

Brett

It sounds like he watched "An Officer and a Gentlemen" one to many times.....

Wingnut

Kill your television
If an active sex life isn't part of your lifestyle, that's fine, but don't hide behind or impugn others with some misguided notion of risk avoidance. Maybe you need to work on your game.

The STD risk factor is just one of several reasons why I feel it is wise to avoid promiscuity. Also, I was speaking as much against the misguided view that condoms are guaranteed protection as anything else. STDs aside, there are a lot more issues assiciated the question, and our society is poor at best in preparing the youth to face those choices.
Oh, and "An Officer and a Gentleman" sucked. I watched about half of it on TV: for the most part, I found simply not worth watching. Our DI made Lou Gossett Jr's character look mild-mannered, the whole OCS environment in the movie felt very weakly directed and played, and I could have cared even less about the love story.
Finally, since we're off topic anyway, one random fact about OCS is that you're allowed to bring condoms and diaphragms, and can actually request them via an OTC med chit (usually used for cold medication and pain relievers). It'd be really convienient if they offered cigarettes for afterwards as part of a deal, but tobacco is strictly forbidden. We wouldn't want our little candidate angels sinking to the depths of debauchery associated with tobacco use, they'll have to settle for drunkenness and fornication. Note that I don't mean to rag on anyone here, it just annoys me that, per the rules, getting totally blasted and sleeping with whatever you come across out in town is AOK if you make it back in time and don't cause too much trouble, but my occasional cigar is off limits.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fornication - how Old Testament of you. As for tobacco use, I don't know what the current policies are, but I don't recall such a prohibition when I went through, nor do I think anyone would hassle you for lighting up while on liberty. As for the rest, people are going to drink and have sex. No matter how hard the religious right moralizes or wishes it weren't true, the idea of abstinence is in complete denial of reality. That said, it makes sense to give people the tools to minimize the risks. Seatbelts don't guarantee I'll survive a crash, but that's not a good enough reason to not wear them, or not drive. This includes the "no questions asked" command sponsored free cab rides home from the bar, making sure that contraceptives are made available, and smoking cessation assistance for that matter.

Edit: I see that you were home-schooled. The picture is beginning to come into focus.

Brett