• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Money spent during OCS

Turkleton

How much will I spend at Newport for OCS?

I was looking through the OCS website and was surprised to see that, under the FAQ "What do I need to bring to OCS" they recommend having access to $2,000. see https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/OCS/index.htm

I did a search and found this thread, so I figured I would resurrect it. Can anyone who's been to OCS recently explain where they get this number.

Will I definitely be spending this much, or will I get some back (i.e. I spend $X on uniforms, but later get a $Z allowance for uniforms)?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I was looking through the OCS website and was surprised to see that, under the FAQ "What do I need to bring to OCS" they recommend having access to $2,000. see https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/OCS/index.htm

I did a search and found this thread, so I figured I would resurrect it. Can anyone who's been to OCS recently explain where they get this number.

Will I definitely be spending this much, or will I get some back (i.e. I spend $X on uniforms, but later get a $Z allowance for uniforms)?

Yes, you'll need access to that much money. You'll spend money on PT gear, RLP stuff, Class T-shirts, gifts, hi-moms, softball game, etc.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I spent much more than $2000 at OCS. Many little things adding up to a lot in the end.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I think having access to $2000 when you get there is a little excessive. You get paid while you're there and you're only expected to pay for uniforms and such at the end of OCS. You should make more than $2000 (including the uniform allowance) by that time.

BigRed389

None
The only guys in my class hurting for money were the ones supporting families back home.

If you're single, you should be walking out with plenty left over from what you get paid while there.

AU_Aviator

Besides the obvious(uniforms), what kind of stuff will you be buying while at OCS? Is this all stuff you need to get while you are there or can you buy it in advance and bring it with you?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Besides the obvious(uniforms), what kind of stuff will you be buying while at OCS? Is this all stuff you need to get while you are there or can you buy it in advance and bring it with you?

Mostly the other expenses are RLP (inspection) supplies. If you fail an inspection, you will likely be buying a LOT of replacement stuff (since they trash your stuff at inspections). This is stuff you can't buy beforehand because it is like uniform items and specific things that you won't know where to find outside of OCS (ie: towels of a VERY specific dimension, out of season uniform devices etc)

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
By "having access" to $2000 means just have your checkbook, debit or credit card in your POV. DO NOT show up with that much cash. $200 is good enough to have on you since you won't get to go to an ATM for a while. $200 lasted me a good 6 weeks IIRC.

BackOrdered

Contributor
By "having access" to $2000 means just have your checkbook, debit or credit card in your POV. DO NOT show up with that much cash. $200 is good enough to have on you since you won't get to go to an ATM for a while. $200 lasted me a good 6 weeks IIRC.

Basically, if you can't handle the NEX credit card discount payment thing you have a serious issue. Someone posted either here or on another topic that it hangs around the ball park of $100 a month.

Edit (Ah! Here it is!):
As far as what you'll spend...You'll need to have around $1000-1200 of your own money for uniforms. You can borrow that, if you need to, from the NEX. They give you a no-interest 12-payment chance to pay it off. I left with a bill right at about $1000, and I pay around $83 a month.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
^^Just want to clarify, that you do not have to make payments on your uniforms while you're up there. They go on an account at the NEX but it isn't the credit card. You can sign up for the credit card, which is highly recommended since the first purchase is 10% off and you can pay your account off with that.
Also, $1000-$1500 is around what the prior guys and girls spent. Almost everyone off the street in my class spent over $2000. I personally spent ~$2400, granted that was for two RLPs and I did buy somethings I didn't need, but I wasn't the only one with a bill that high.

Casual

Jammin'
None
You'll spend money on your initial uniform items (well, it will be charged to your account), but you'll be reimbursed for all of that with your initial clothing allowance (most people actually end up ahead around $100 or so). You'll probably spend a couple hundred, maybe more, on RLP items like extra shirts, belts, buckles, etc. Where the $2000 comes from is when you are buying your service uniforms like service khakis, SDBs, and dress whites. I spent about $1300 on that.

Aliquid

With what everybody is saying about buying extra unused items for inspection, where do you put the stuff you DO use? Do you just stuff it all under the bed and hope for the best?