• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

Mos

None
The pension is a big plus too, especially when most of the aviators I know were at or a little more than halfway there when they joined the reserves and the next 10 years goes a lot faster than the first. Most guys in my unit are looking at $3000 or more in pension a month starting at 55-59 years old for a total close to $1 million if you live as long as average, not too shabby.
I think the value of the pension is that it's less money coming out of my TSP and 401k during retirement, allowing those funds more time to grow before they're really needed (i.e., expensive long term care). As one of those lucky guys on DIFOPS orders and with an accommodating employer, I've felt that it's worth the squeeze so far.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Balancing the reserves with a civilian career is a challenge, an accommodating employer certainly helps. I find the juice worth the squeeze, I've been through two layoffs now, and each time the reserves has come to the rescue. The reserves makes a great safety hammock, because its much more comfortable to land in than a net!

Additionally, buying Tricare Reserve Select is freeing, I don't have to worry about employer sponsored healthcare. It brings a bit of freedom and saves money too.

nodropinufaka

Balancing the reserves with a civilian career is a challenge, an accommodating employer certainly helps. I find the juice worth the squeeze, I've been through two layoffs now, and each time the reserves has come to the rescue. The reserves makes a great safety hammock, because its much more comfortable to land in than a net!

Additionally, buying Tricare Reserve Select is freeing, I don't have to worry about employer sponsored healthcare. It brings a bit of freedom and saves money too.
One thing I never understood is how Fed employees werent allowed to use tricare reserve select.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just like how the proposal for govies to use the exchange died.
I get why we have exchanges; it's to fund MWR. That at least makes sense. What I don't understand is why, in the era of Amazon Fresh, Wal-Mart Superstores, and Safeway, Harris Teeter, et al., we still have commissaries. What precisely does DoD gain by operating a bunch of grocery stores, other than guilt-tripping paying customers into tipping baggers who do a job that's utterly useless for anyone who is able-bodied?

The only time I've been to the commissary in the last 15 years is at Fort Bragg when I MOBed, because it was on the VFR direct drive from my work to my apartment, and sometimes I was too lazy to go downtown to Harris Teeter. I still could have lived without it if it had randomly burned to the ground.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What precisely does DoD gain by operating a bunch of grocery stores,
Commissaries are primarily for overseas bases to give service member’s a place to buy groceries that they are used to at an affordable price.

The have also been one of the benefits of military service to make up for less compensation than civilian sector.

If you don’t think it is a benefit, go ask some junior enlisted family. Especially in a high cost area. In Hawaii, the commissary saves significantly over grocery stores, probably 35 to 40%. Even in Las Vegas, the commissary at Nellis saved at least 15-20% of grocery stores.

Ending the commissary system would be an erosion of the benefits of military service. It would financially hurt junior members especially and many retirees with low incomes.

SELRES_AMDO

I get why we have exchanges; it's to fund MWR. That at least makes sense. What I don't understand is why, in the era of Amazon Fresh, Wal-Mart Superstores, and Safeway, Harris Teeter, et al., we still have commissaries. What precisely does DoD gain by operating a bunch of grocery stores, other than guilt-tripping paying customers into tipping baggers who do a job that's utterly useless for anyone who is able-bodied?
They serve a purpose in overseas locations. In Hawaii it is way cheaper at the commissary compared to out in town. I'd estimate at least 40% cheaper.

But in CONUS? Not really cheaper. Walmart is way cheaper.

Edit: someone already pointed out the big cost savings is overseas.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Commissaries are primarily for overseas bases to give service member’s a place to buy groceries that they are used to at an affordable price.

The have also been one of the benefits of military service to make up for less compensation than civilian sector.

If you don’t think it is a benefit, go ask some junior enlisted family. Especially in a high cost area. In Hawaii, the commissary saves significantly over grocery stores, probably 35 to 40%. Even in Las Vegas, the commissary at Nellis saved at least 15-20% of grocery stores.

Ending the commissary system would be an erosion of the benefits of military service. It would financially hurt junior members especially and many retirees with low incomes.

It would be a better use of money to send that cash directly to the members. Plus up BAS and get out of the business of selling rotting bananas for less than they cost. Add to COLA, as well, in the high cost areas.

The Mafia's wives would just have to find another profession.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Benefit erosion just keeps happening.

When I was a kid, the NEX / BX / PX were the best deals in town. Everything was at least 25% cheaper than regular stores.

Base gas stations had gas that was way cheaper than off base.

Class 6 stores sold booze for half the price.

It wasn’t Walmart, Amazon, etc. that ruined the benefit. It was Congress and lobbyist. Local store complained they couldn’t make a profit if they had to meet the prices to get military business. So they lobbied and Congress passed a law that the exchange prices,etc had to be in line with those in the local stores even if it cost the service members more.

Commissaries are one of the last good deals and are always a target for the budget cutters. But they aren’t trying to use the money to increase pay, just cut spending.

The value of the exchange system has been eroded. “Free medical care for life” has been eroded. What’s next?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The US government is going to f*ck themselves to the point that no one will want to join the military.

With this and other dumb things we are doing (ie, outsourcing everything made to China), the Chinese regime must be laughing themselves silly over how short-sighted and stupid we are acting.

SlickAg

pilot
The US government is going to f*ck themselves to the point that no one will want to join the military.

With this and other dumb things we are doing (ie, outsourcing everything made to China), the Chinese regime must be laughing themselves silly over how short-sighted and stupid we are acting.
Go woke go broke.