• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
You can max out at 130 inactive points per year which is then added to your active points (Active Duty, ADT/AD, etc.).

Inactive points are comprised of drills (paid IDT's, and paid and non-pay ATP's), funeral honors, courses, and the 15 membership points.

View attachment 29607

If you are like me, you submit for 1 - 2 non-pay additional training periods per week, every week, like clock work.
Your CO/XO approve(d) 52-104 non-pay each year? My CO/XO realize as a DH we are always doing work outside the DWE, and we usually get RMPs or ATPs to cover that work. I know lots of guys that do Funeral Honors for points, I swear we have a guy that is a professional at Funeral Honors.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm seriously considering writing a point paper or Proceedings article about how the Navy needs to take "distributed mobilization" another level down, divest itself of NOSCs, disperse the FTS population amongst the gaining commands, and force responsibility for reserve readiness on AC COs. They're the ultimate customers anyway, so they arguably shouldn't have an admin layer allowing them to be reserve-illiterate.

I agree with your take, but good luck convincing the people that just funded places like the fancy new Fallon NOSC. It's a big rice bowl, and probably funds a lot of SELRES that, by nature of location, don't really have an AC home. I mean I feel like the existence of a lot of them is purely to provide MOB bodies at the end of the day.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I could've made a go of being a VR guy it just would have been a lot on top of a full time 9-5

Yeah, this. While I guess kind of lucrative in terms of pay for one day, for me this often involves working 0600-1400 at normal job and then driving to Navy, doing a full brief/flight/debrief (at least while weekend ccx's are turned off due to COVID). That is a long day for not being on active duty, and a couple of them in a week really burns you out. There are more creative ways to crack that nut, but most of them involve having an employer that doesn't have standard working hours, and/or the airlines.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Your CO/XO approve(d) 52-104 non-pay each year? My CO/XO realize as a DH we are always doing work outside the DWE, and we usually get RMPs or ATPs to cover that work. I know lots of guys that do Funeral Honors for points, I swear we have a guy that is a professional at Funeral Honors.
They have always approved non-pay additional training periods.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, this. While I guess kind of lucrative in terms of pay for one day, for me this often involves working 0600-1400 at normal job and then driving to Navy, doing a full brief/flight/debrief (at least while weekend ccx's are turned off due to COVID). That is a long day for not being on active duty, and a couple of them in a week really burns you out. There are more creative ways to crack that nut, but most of them involve having an employer that doesn't have standard working hours, and/or the airlines.
Yeah, the CNAFR HW units really seem to lend themselves to folks who are airline pilots or others and have a work sked that ends up with large blocks of time off at once that allow the member to work a second job in that time. I know a few guys who have 9-5s and maintain flying gigs but it seems like a lot especially if you have a family. Which, if you got out of ACDU because the time commitment/work-life balance was crushing you and then you get a civilian 9-5 and a flying SELRES gig it seems like you haven't really addressed your work-life balance*.

*I get that some of you are in a weird spot due to airlines looking like a sure thing a year ago and not so much now. I'm not trying to address that with this. That situation is just shit luck.

SELRES_AMDO

They have always approved non-pay additional training periods.
COs/OICs still need to ensure non-pay periods are being approved for work being completed. My last OIC allowed an additional 4 non-pay periods per month but you had to justify them before they were approved. It wasn't a free for all.

snake020

Contributor
COs/OICs still need to ensure non-pay periods are being approved for work being completed. My last OIC allowed an additional 4 non-pay periods per month but you had to justify them before they were approved. It wasn't a free for all.
For as much BS admin is required outside of drill weekends, the justification is easy. None of my units or NOSCs have given pushback on non-pays.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
yep. I'm like a lawyer now, keeping track of billable hours. 4 in a week isn't that hard to come up with.
Yup... I keep a log and enter the "notes" in to the Tasks & Accomplishments section in NSIPS. The key with this, however, is to always be accessible (i.e., answer your phone, texts, emails, have Teams up and running, etc.).

This is much easier for me than trying to earn this many points every year doing courses.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yup... I keep a log and enter the "notes" in to the Tasks & Accomplishments section in NSIPS. The key with this, however, is to always be accessible (i.e., answer your phone, texts, emails, have Teams up and running, etc.).
Is this the SELRES version of fly what you can, log what you need?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with your take, but good luck convincing the people that just funded places like the fancy new Fallon NOSC. It's a big rice bowl, and probably funds a lot of SELRES that, by nature of location, don't really have an AC home. I mean I feel like the existence of a lot of them is purely to provide MOB bodies at the end of the day.
The way CNR, CNO, and (former) SECNAV’s guidance is these days, if you "don’t really have an AC home" (as in a UMUIC MOB billet that adds value), you’re going to have one soon, or go away. The current mantra is “IAs to zero,” and refocusing on putting the force into UMUIC billets with fleet impact. I’m already hearing rumblings in my little corner of the world about what that looks like, and it seems senior leaders are starting to horse-trade existing billets and talk about which units are or aren't going to exist in a few years. Bottom line, I wouldn't expect senior leaders, by which I mean CNRFC and up, to be supporting anything for very long that "purely provides MOB bodies."

I don't know what new SECNAV is going to do, and the memo I'm trying to find appears to have gone "poof" in the change of administrations. But there was one from SECNAV Braithwaite essentially saying that Big Navy was getting out of the IA business and focusing on getting reservists back into MOB billets which supported mass mobilization in the event of peer conflict. Sure, that's ultimately the Joint Staff's call, but it would not surprise me if the days of Narmy land are numbered.

A NOSC is nothing more than a building. Some of them are nice; some of them are crappy. I'm sure CNIC could find use for NOSC Fallon's spaces if the command were to go "poof" tomorrow.