• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
My numbered fleet unit is POCing the "deploy as a unit" concept as we speak, with some differences to account for the actual exercise we have to run.

The "IA to zero" memo is on here somewhere - doesn't take effect until 2022 though.

Your CO/XO approve(d) 52-104 non-pay each year? My CO/XO realize as a DH we are always doing work outside the DWE, and we usually get RMPs or ATPs to cover that work. I know lots of guys that do Funeral Honors for points, I swear we have a guy that is a professional at Funeral Honors.
Funeral honors don’t count against your max (130) point allowance, although you still can‘t get more than two points per day. I had a couple 150pt years in my “prime”, if you can call it that.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Yup... I keep a log and enter the "notes" in to the Tasks & Accomplishments section in NSIPS. The key with this, however, is to always be accessible (i.e., answer your phone, texts, emails, have Teams up and running, etc.).

This is much easier for me than trying to earn this many points every year doing courses.

In my unit we have Teams, GroupMe, WICKR and then theres always texting. I guess I'm too available. Talk about overkill.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honest question, how do you guys square the risk to your full time career with what amounts to a small payout at the end? It seems that a lot of folks on here have been doing well in their day jobs only to have them go sideways because of a MOB thus resulting in loss of future raises that could have been towards retirement and end up returning more than $1600/mo. I get some of the former ACDU guys who end up in the position of "just 5-8 more years" but it sure seems like a lot of professional risk for a tricare and beer money. It just seems that I know a lot of guys who get caught in between the reserves and a day job and end up trying to do both things well.

The pension is a big plus too, especially when most of the aviators I know were at or a little more than halfway there when they joined the reserves and the next 10 years goes a lot faster than the first. Most guys in my unit are looking at $3000 or more in pension a month starting at 55-59 years old for a total close to $1 million if you live as long as average, not too shabby.

Yeah, I get that. It just seems weird to me as a former ACDU guy to find an escape in a uniformed culture that is rife with its own neverending self imposed fuckery. And my brief exposure to the Reserves seemed to indicate that it amplified the crappy parts of ACDU such as paperwork, reserve instructional minutia, being at work to check a box, PFAs, uniform shennagins, no notice deployments, etc without the parts of ACDU I enjoyed.

I never found the admin part of the reserves to be too burdensome, even when I had to double tap quite a bit of training every year (GS and Reserve versions of the same GMT, double the fun!). Even with my last SELRES Skipper who was wound real tight with admin BS the reserve stuff didn't add that big a burden to my life with a family and real job. I've heard a lot of folks complain about all the admin and other BS but frankly the bark is worse than the bite for many, when it comes down to it that part of the reserves has always been very maneagable for me and most of my contemporaries.

As mentioned by several others, the intangibles are also a big part of sticking with the reserves. I was in a unit that was as close to a squadron as you could get without hardware for a long while and it was a pretty good time on DWE's and AT's.

Last edited:

snake020

Contributor
Honest question, how do you guys square the risk to your full time career with what amounts to a small payout at the end? It seems that a lot of folks on here have been doing well in their day jobs only to have them go sideways because of a MOB thus resulting in loss of future raises that could have been towards retirement and end up returning more than $1600/mo. I get some of the former ACDU guys who end up in the position of "just 5-8 more years" but it sure seems like a lot of professional risk for a tricare and beer money. It just seems that I know a lot of guys who get caught in between the reserves and a day job and end up trying to do both things well.

Where are these jobs you guys are finding that have security? Every job I've had in the private sector has had some degree of eat or be eaten, justify your existence before you face layoffs, etc.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where are these jobs you guys are finding that have security? Every job I've had in the private sector has had some degree of eat or be eaten, justify your existence before you face layoffs, etc.
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Not every civ job is guaranteed, but they’re also not all “eat or be eaten” as you describe. Choose your rate, choose your fate. My company refused to lay off anyone in the 2008 recession and refused to lay anyone off during COVID.

Hiring freeze, sure, but no layoffs by direction of the C-suite.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hence my question as to how to square career risk with the reserves.

I'm a govie and not a reservist so you can say I'm pretty career risk averse.

snake020

Contributor
Hence my question as to how to square career risk with the reserves.

I'm a govie and not a reservist so you can say I'm pretty career risk averse.

I took six month ADSW orders in 2019 when I had already been applying and interviewing elsewhere because my company wasn't promoting and the new CTO decided to make his mark through expense/payroll reduction. Taking those orders gave me more time to get an offer which I transitioned to when I came off of orders whilst having USERRA protection to return to my old role if I hadn't found something else.

SELRES_AMDO

The admin side is not that bad.

For the most part, the loudest complainers are the types who don't keep track of their own things and get surprised when the NOSC doesn't approve their orders. Stay on top of your stuff and you should be fine. An extra phone call here or there to the NOSC is not the end of the world. And like someone else said, 30K-40K per year at 56-60 plus Tricare makes a big difference.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I took six month ADSW orders in 2019 when I had already been applying and interviewing elsewhere because my company wasn't promoting and the new CTO decided to make his mark through expense/payroll reduction. Taking those orders gave me more time to get an offer which I transitioned to when I came off of orders whilst having USERRA protection to return to my old role if I hadn't found something else.
Nice. I was asking about the other side of the coin (career is going well, pending promotion, then MOB!)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice. I was asking about the other side of the coin (career is going well, pending promotion, then MOB!)
If you haven’t MOBed yet, especially if you still have a TS, you will MOB. If you join the reserves not understanding that, you’re going to have a bad time.

After that, if you’ve MOBed once and are out of dwell, you could MOB again. But they first will exhaust all other qualified bodies for that job who haven’t MOBed ever.

If you’re bucking for flag/O-6, it always helps to have a MOB in each rank, but now we’re back to the whole “balancing your $25,000 a year part-time job with your actual career” thing. Some people really want to be a Navy Captain or wear stars that badly. Others are happy as an O-4, O-5, or maybe O-6 while focusing on their civ career.