• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
So, just went through a BTR (Business Talent Review, me as leader gets presented to entire Executive team for consideration for future advancement) yesterday with my boss and today I had to tell her of my pending MOB (still no official orders). Man this sucks
Why did you have to tell her if you don’t have orders?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
So, just went through a BTR (Business Talent Review, me as leader gets presented to entire Executive team for consideration for future advancement) yesterday with my boss and today I had to tell her of my pending MOB (still no official orders). Man this sucks
What sucks is that you played your hand and informed your employer before your mobilization notification. Honesty is not rewarded until you receive your notification and official orders.

That was galactically stupid.

SELRES_AMDO

The reserves pays fairly well and offers good benefits for a reason. Because your going to have to burn a bridge or two in your working life to get ahead as a reservist. It is just the way it is.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Don't sugar coat it, tell him what you really think
It doesn't matter how many times we advise people because they run off and think they are doing their employer -- even those employers who advertise they are military/Veteran friendly -- a favor by being open and honest when it's neither necessary nor required.

SELRES_AMDO

I learned the hard way that you need to look out for yourself when it comes to balancing the reserve career with your job. Trying to please your boss because you feel bad about taking orders will not do you any favors no matter how much you think you're helping.

However, I did tell my previous boss without ADSW orders in hand because I hated the office and truly did not care about staying on good terms. I was willing to burn that bridge for personal reasons.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
What sucks is that you played your hand and informed your employer before your mobilization notification. Honesty is not rewarded until you receive your notification and official orders.

That was galactically stupid.
giphy.gif

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I learned the hard way that you need to look out for yourself when it comes to balancing the reserve career with your job. Trying to please your boss because you feel bad about taking orders will not do you any favors no matter how much you think you're helping.

However, I did tell my previous boss without ADSW orders in hand because I hated the office and truly did not care about staying on good terms. I was willing to burn that bridge for personal reasons.
I agree, and I am not one to burn bridges. With regard to that, what goes around, comes around. If my career is damaged or worse, I could leave and work for the .gov!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I agree, and I am not one to burn bridges. With regard to that, what goes around, comes around. If my career is damaged or worse, I could leave and work for the .gov!
Here’s my ROE: if my manager or office takes an unfair shot at my career first, I can shoot back. Dropping long term military orders is one of the tools in the arsenal.

I detest the assumption that the guy/gal who is departing is the one burning the bridge. Too many toxic bosses go around setting little fires to the bridges around them, then blame their teams when people walk.

SELRES_AMDO

I detest the assumption that the guy/gal who is departing is the one burning the bridge. Too many toxic bosses go around setting little fires to the bridges around them, then blame their teams when people walk.
Totally agree.

In my case that I refer to in my previous post I was actually jumping off the burning bridge that my boss set on fire. They were toxic and I dropped long term ADOS on them because they were horrible people.