• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I don’t know anyone who qualified as an O-1. If they did then something is up.

it takes almost 2 years to get on active duty.
This. At least for Supply, each command is different and have their own set of requirements to complement the qual PQS. For example, you could conceivably get your NESCO while an ENS, but it takes 15-18 months to finish BQC and no one should be signing off on PQC while doing BQC. Then, when you get to your first command, they may have guidelines that state you need to be with them for X # of months before you can qualify (NSW is 2 years and you must support 2 exercises). I did however have a friend that qual'd for NASO within months of completing BQC as a JG.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Do you take a dim view of the memo discussed earlier on this thread? Is there a mob coming your way that you’re looking to avoid? No judgment whatsoever, just curious how NOSC folks are seeing things unfolding.
People also dip into the VTU for a variety of reasons:
  • Folks who are just done with the SELRES washing machine
  • Folks who no longer want to mobilize
  • Enlisted folks who are High Year Tenure (HYT) coasting until retirement eligible
  • Officers who are coasting until retirement eligible
  • O5's who are coasting until 28 years commissioned service. Remember, O5/O6 have to APPLY for paid billets, many of which would required monthly travel at member's expense.
  • Funeral Honors Duty hounds. I know folks who do 100+ details a year. They get paid more doing this than if they were SELRES
  • Folks with medical issues. This is important. Fun fact, you could be MNN (NPQ/Retention Recommended) in the SELRES (i.e., fully disclosed medical condition), get tagged for mobilization, become a mobilization fallout because the AOR surgeon will not waive your medical issue, after which triggers a formal Physical Evaluation Board (PEB), and finally, be medically retired. This is currently happening to an E6 in my VTU
The medical thing is starting to become a big deal. The only way to really work around this in SELRES and avoid a mobilization fallout is to volunteer for a mobilization where you know the AOR surgeon will waive your issue. So, if you have a back/spine/vertebrae issue (e.g., disc bulge or similar), you would need to find a mobilization that does not required going to ECRC, and then onward, because no way in hell would anyone allow you to go to ECRC and then to the sandbox with a back/spine/vertebrae issue.

nodropinufaka

• Folks with medical issues. This is important. Fun fact, you could be MNN (NPQ/Retention Recommended) in the SELRES (i.e., fully disclosed medical condition), get tagged for mobilization, become a mobilization fallout because the AOR surgeon will not waive your medical issue, after which triggers a formal Physical Evaluation Board (PEB), and finally, be medically retired. This is currently happening to an E6 in my VTU
The medical thing is starting to become a big deal. The only way to really work around this in SELRES and avoid a mobilization fallout is to volunteer for a mobilization where you know the AOR surgeon will waive your issue. So, if you have a back/spine/vertebrae issue (e.g., disc bulge or similar), you would need to find a mobilization that does not required going to ECRC, and then onward, because no way in hell would anyone allow you to go to ECRC and then to the sandbox with a back/spine/vertebrae issue.

I am in this exact boat. MNN (NPQ-RR) for back/spine issue. I am actually surprised they are keeping me in.

One thing to clarify. A PEB is only if requested by member. Getting a medical retirement is difficult in the reserves because you have to show you had it prior to affiliating and its service connected. Usually a PEB is only requested if you have under 15 years because you are looking to stay.

In cases like me where I am past 15 years of qualifying time they usually just offer you retirement and send you on your way.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am in this exact boat. MNN (NPQ-RR) for back/spine issue. I am actually surprised they are keeping me in.

One thing to clarify. A PEB is only if requested by member. Getting a medical retirement is difficult in the reserves because you have to show you had it prior to affiliating and its service connected. Usually a PEB is only requested if you have under 15 years because you are looking to stay.

In cases like me where I am past 15 years of qualifying time they usually just offer you retirement and send you on your way.
IIRC SELRES early retirement is authorized for even non-service-connected disqualifying issues after 15 years, if the individual ends up as NPQ, retention not recommended.

Recently had a Sailor have to take it after being a MOB fallout for back issues.

If you’re talking prior to 15, yeah, different beast.

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

IIRC SELRES early retirement is authorized for even non-service-connected disqualifying issues after 15 years, if the individual ends up as NPQ, retention not recommended.

Recently had a Sailor have to take it after being a MOB fallout for back issues.

If you’re talking prior to 15, yeah, different beast.

That is correct.

You can request PEB as well. It is your right as a service member. You will get medical retirement and start collecting right away. It is going to be an uphill battle though unless it was something blatant that caused the injury while on active duty or active orders.

Honestly not even sure how long they will let me stay. I have to do my MRR once per year.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is correct.

You can request PEB as well. It is your right as a service member. You will get medical retirement and start collecting right away. It is going to be an uphill battle though unless it was something blatant that caused the injury while on active duty or active orders.

Honestly not even sure how long they will let me stay. I have to do my MRR once per year.
Ah, right, you meant the immediate medical pension as opposed to the “take your retirement at 60, but no more points for you, you’re broke.”

ABMD

I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere in this 19 page thread, but what is the "normal" or standard timeframe for getting orders for a mob? As in, how far in advance of your RLD.

nodropinufaka

I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere in this 19 page thread, but what is the "normal" or standard timeframe for getting orders for a mob? As in, how far in advance of your RLD.

really depends.
Usually you’re notified a little sooner then actual hard copy orders.

For hard copy I got mine about 3 months in advance

snake020

Contributor

For a voluntary MOB, I got tagged 8 months out, orders 6 months out.

It'd be nice if the story ended there, but then I made the mistake of agreeing to go a month early at the request of the supported command, and that ORDMOD didn't come out until three weeks prior to my RLD. The problem with that is the NOSCs will make you reaccomplish some of that paperwork again such as the Page 2.

ABMD

I had 3.5-ish months' notice.

They say they aim for 180 days.

I'd say their aim is off. I received notification in Nov for a "FY22" mob, then got a call in Jan saying my RLD was in May! A whole lot of WTFs later, yup it's May (last time I checked May wasn't FY22) and "standby for orders" Well, still standing by...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'd say their aim is off. I received notification in Nov for a "FY22" mob, then got a call in Jan saying my RLD was in May! A whole lot of WTFs later, yup it's May (last time I checked May wasn't FY22) and "standby for orders" Well, still standing by...
Not to one-up it, because my timeline is over ten years old, but back then the standard was 60 days with <30 days being that someone would have to brief the admiral as to why the timeline wasn't met. There was a feel-good video on the BUPERS website with an admiral describing all of this, including an exact definition of the timeline as the service member having "orders in hand." Wellllll... PERS-4G sent my IA orders on a Friday evening with a date time group of that day (they email them somewhere that puts them into the message system), with a report date 30 days later. NCTAMS lost one of the parts of the message (bless their hearts...), not to mention the implied expectation to hang around the command on a Friday night and checking message traffic.

NMCMPS wasn't really widely known in the Navy, certainly the IA guy at our ISIC didn't tell anybody to login to BOL and click on NMCMPS to find your IA orders.

It gets better. One of my IA classmates (same RFF code, same training, same mission) got her orders even later than I did. PERS sidestepped the notification timeline "oh $#@% we have to tell the admiral" thing by deleting the first week at NMPS, where you get all your uniforms, medical screening, etc., and meeting up with everybody to get on the bus to South Carolina. Voilà! 30 day timeline met!

I would be amazed if any of the sea lawyers in that shop Millington told the admiral and the whole thing left a permanent bad taste in my mouth. Dunno why he'd make a video promising that when his folks weren't delivering.

But again, it was a long time ago now.

nodropinufaka

When I mobbed in 2008 they made us check into ECRC Norfolk. Then 3 months of training which was awful and 7 day a week training schedule. Then sent us off to Iraq.

On the way to Iraq the charter flight was over weight so I got kicked off and told to take a bus to Philadelphia airport to fly to Atlanta to get on the rotator over their to Kuwait so a HMMV could pick us up there and drive us into Iraq along the MSR. Easy enough in theory.

I get to Philadelphia. I have a M16 complete with grenade launcher attachment, a M9, and 3 bags full of gear. Im forced open it up and show the gate agent and they told me it had to fly unlocked. I was told by my chain under no circumstances let it fly unlocked. So that became a big deal. Then they wanted 1200 dollars for my bags. I was a very young E-4 who had been in the military for just over 3 years at this point. The command sent 7 of us on this adventure with the senior ranking guy an E-5. All of us are standing their in DCUs trying to figure out what to do.

Long story short. We put it on our GTCC. American Air gets like 10k just off our bags alone. We get to Atlanta and then on the rotator.

Looking back its pretty comical.