• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mishap rates and what affects them (thread split)

onedge

pilot
For the Aviators in the room, perhaps we all need to evaluate our own practices in the cockpit. I am by no means accusing anyone of anything but it seems as if there have been quite a few mishaps lately of across the spectrum of severity. Obviously there is no room for complacency or stupidity but I would propose asking one's self, "Can this be a more safe evolution?" It is Horrible to have to read about these things and perhaps we ought to step it up a little bit starting with ourselves.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
For the Aviators in the room, perhaps we all need to evaluate our own practices in the cockpit. I am by no means accusing anyone of anything but it seems as if there have been quite a few mishaps lately of across the spectrum of severity. Obviously there is no room for complacency or stupidity but I would propose asking one's self, "Can this be a more safe evolution?"
The safest evolution is one where you never leave the deck. I'll leave it at that until I see the SIR, glean what I can from it and leave it at that *again.* I suggest you do the same.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
For the Aviators in the room, perhaps we all need to evaluate our own practices in the cockpit... and perhaps we ought to step it up a little bit starting with ourselves.

Almost exactly what our last AOM was about. We spent 2 hours covering some recent safety concerns in our own squadron, and in the Navy as a whole. Big Navy is very concerned about this- stand by for possible changes in the way we do business.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
For the Aviators in the room, perhaps we all need to evaluate our own practices in the cockpit. I am by no means accusing anyone of anything but it seems as if there have been quite a few mishaps lately of across the spectrum of severity. Obviously there is no room for complacency or stupidity but I would propose asking one's self, "Can this be a more safe evolution?" It is Horrible to have to read about these things and perhaps we ought to step it up a little bit starting with ourselves.
As a maintainer I take this approach with every maintenance job. I respect the pilots and aircrew and I also do not wish to be injured. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
quick question, is it like this all the time, or am i just noticeing more because i am getting really close to flight school.

While the accident rate rises and falls you notice it a lot more the closer you get to the flight line.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
that sux,
my wife flew out to havelock n.c. to bury her grandpa today who was also a marine (p.o.w. in vietnam). that won't really help make her feel any better about me going to flight school....it seems like we are loosing birds all the time, marine in california, the two 18's that collided in the gulf, and know this? (that's 3 18's and a harrier)

quick question, is it like this all the time, or am i just noticeing more because i am getting really close to flight school.

There were a LOT more than that last year.

squorch2

pilot
We're actually at the end of a long tail as far as mishaps/flight hours go... there are some illustrative numbers here, but what I'm really looking for is the graph that has "angled flight decks," "NATOPS," "CRM," "ORM," etc. That really shows you how far we've come.

squorch2

pilot
Found it:
natopshm1.gif

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
A powerful graphic for sure. Although, unless the arrows are not pointing directly to the year they were implemented, they don't particularly coincide with any particularly pointed changes in slope of the line. Not that the milestones in safety aren't important or that the drop in mishaps isn't precipitous, just that the graphic doesn't seem to drive home the point it is trying for.

Single Seat...I can't keep from staring at your avatar for an awkwardly long amount of time every time it scrolls by.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What changed in 1990 that caused the lines to diverge so much? Mechanical mishaps went down a little, but the human numbers started to suck fast which is totally different from what the lines do the whole rest of way.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
What changed in 1990 that caused the lines to diverge so much? Mechanical mishaps went down a little, but the human numbers started to suck fast which is totally different from what the lines do the whole rest of way.

Might be because of the extreme number of flight hours flown in support of Desert Shield/Storm. I would like to see the accident rate per flight hour.