• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mishap rates and what affects them (thread split)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
At the same time though, that can lead you down a rabbit hole of second guessing.

I will evaluate some decisions by,"If someone asked why I did X, would I be able to justify it later?" That question still has to take second place to "What's the right thing to do NOW?"

If you go to far, you'll never go flying. Having been on the wrong side of a circular office table (apparently the long green one was in storage along with the mythical pitchers of ice water), even reasonable judgment calls will be examined and second-guessed if the results don't break your way later.

MasterBates

In my experience, it's been a long wardroom table, with the CO/XO and DH's at the far end with you standing at attention at the far end. It was a long while before I was offered a seat.

It basically degraded into a long discussion into DHs and above arguing about PA vs DA.

I just stood there and let them go back and forth.

2nd Law of JOPA Thermodynamics:
Any confusion created between the hinges on details of knowledges, reduces appearance of lack of knowledges on your part.

Corollary: Any work done to remove confusion in one area, increases confusion to a greater extent overall.

exhelodrvr

pilot
After the master caution light goes off, take a look around and see if you're still flying. If you are, you probably have time to think about what to do and not jack things up and make them worse.

I think about the study that was done with civilian pilots. This is a paraphrasing, so please help with the details if you know. They first had pilots react as they thought they should--every pilot thought he had impeccable instincts and the Right Stuff, so they reacted immediately, and something like 66% of their corrective actions were incorrect.

For the next round, they forced the pilots to count to 10 before doing any procedures. Their success rates went up markedly.

That would certainly result in fewer "good" engines being shut down!