• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Sounds pretty self-righteous to me. You cannot fault anyone for availing themselves of approved processes and procedures. Some have the same feeling as you about the VTU.

Same thing can be said about people complaining about tax loopholes. There are rules in place and some people are better at knowing what they can and can't do with said rules. Look at how Bill Belichick coaches, the guy knows the NFL rulebook inside and out, so he knows what's black, white and grey and how to operate within those rules. Someone once said, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

bluemarlin04

Hell, on active duty, I saw guys DOR from flight school in API months after finishing the academy and get to separate from the Navy free and clear. They got free college and spent 3-4 months active and went and got civilians jobs after.

I’m not hating. Navys fault for not stopping it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Sounds pretty self-righteous to me. You cannot fault anyone for availing themselves of approved processes and procedures. Some have the same feeling as you about the VTU.
I'll bite, for the sake of devil's advocate.

The approved DCO processes and procedures include 1) writing a motivational statement, 2) interviewing with senior officers who are assessing your program motivation, and 3) certifying with your signature that all statements on your application are true and accurate. If a non prior service DCO applicant is knowingly withholding their hidden desire to quit SELRES at the three year mark and never do jack squat for the Navy, then he or she is willfully and knowingly circumventing the screening process that is designed to build a naval reserve officer corps. And, they are taking a spot away from another qualified applicant who wants to be there.

I'm not talking about life circumstances changing drastically after they join the Navy (god forbid, something like your spouse gets a terminal illness, or something else unforeseen that forces you to leave SELRES for the IRR earlier that expected). I am talking about knowingly hiding your secret desire to never, ever mobilize for the Navy before you even join it.

Put bluntly, if they are just doing this to pad their resume, then yeah, I think that's not an approved accession process.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

I see what you're saying but I still don't think the individual is being deceitful or screwing anyone over.

Never ever show your cards in the Navy. Tell leadership nothing otherwise you are going to get shafted.

You want to transfer units because are moving cross country or want to go VTU? Don't even bring it up until absolutely necessary. Otherwise, with how ridiculous our FITREP system is, you will be getting screwed. This applies to everything in the Navy and career paths. If you show your cards you are going to get outcast.

Edit: Case in point when I resigned my commission on active duty. I resigned a year out and basically was outcast. I got removed from my analyst position and than changed desks every few months cause leadership didn't care about me anymore. Finally, they just put me back on the watchfloor after I already had done my year there because "you are getting out, so you can stand watch"

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
how ridiculous our FITREP system is
Yes, but FITREPs only matter as you get close to your O-4 first look, at around 9 years in (or if you even care about making LCDR at all). At 9 years (or even less), I am totally comfortable that there is some necessary gaming of the system, and holding cards close to one’s vest, in order to not get screwed over.

I’m still not convinced the Navy can really “screw over” a new reserve JO who is non-prior service. Everything I’ve seen, the Navy bends over backwards to get us qualified on time and keep us in the program. They make it clear what we’re signing up for prior to us applying or commissioning.

Transferring units (TRUIC change as a JO) because your current unit sucks? Sure go for it. I get that.

VTU for a while due to life events? Sure, at least you are still showing up on drill weekends - hopefully with the intention of later going back SELRES once you sort out whatever in your life needed sorting out.

Trying to redes or lat transfer to the Navy job you actually want? Okay cool, keep that to yourself until the right time comes. You’re still serving.

Taking a rare DCO spot as a non prior, then quitting the Navy at your first opportunity, with no intention of staying past 3 years or mobilizing, just to be able to say “Navy veteran” on your upcoming business venture/ political run/ whatever their hidden motive is? Not cool. Not cool to your peer JOs who are helping you along, to the instructors in your community’s schoolhouse, to the officers who wrote a reference letter or interview appraisal for you, to the last person who wasn’t selected by the DCO board because they were the best candidate left over when all the slots were filled, to the recruiter/processor/MEPS/etc. who put work into gaining you, to the NOSC that is already overwhelmed with paperwork and dealt with yours too, etc. It’s a pretty selfish move when you look at the raw cost/benefit of a DCO who flakes at 3 years.

There’s a reason why “Commitment” is one of the three Navy values.

RedGriffin

Taking a rare DCO spot as a non prior, then quitting the Navy at your first opportunity, with no intention of staying past 3 years or mobilizing, just to be able to say “Navy veteran” on your upcoming business venture/ political run/ whatever their hidden motive is?

How often does this actually happen? Any examples? Seems like a lot of work just to say "I was in the reserve, though I never did anything in it." Usually politicals who want to burnish their military credentials will want to get in a mob.

bluemarlin04

Yes, but FITREPs only matter as you get close to your O-4 first look, at around 9 years in (or if you even care about making LCDR at all). At 9 years (or even less),

Your Fitreps absolutely matter going back to your first command. They will look at your block 41 recommendations. What positions you were in (i.e. Ops, etc). Where you fell against RSCA, Group Average, how many ranked against, etc.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
Availing yourself of the system is neither cheating nor is it dishonest. If the Navy thought it to be a problem, they would change the system. It's like the PFA system. There is a "Satisfactory" for a reason and still results in a P on an officer FITREP. If the Navy wanted Officers to be rated based on their scores, they would make that change in the FITREP system. But, for now, either doing the bare minimum or maximum each result in a P. And, just because you score an Outstanding does not mean your CO is going to give you a 5 for military bearing, especially if he/she is/are managing their average.

snake020

Contributor
Availing yourself of the system is neither cheating nor is it dishonest. If the Navy thought it to be a problem, they would change the system. It's like the PFA system. There is a "Satisfactory" for a reason and still results in a P on an officer FITREP. If the Navy wanted Officers to be rated based on their scores, they would make that change in the FITREP system. But, for now, either doing the bare minimum or maximum each result in a P. And, just because you score an Outstanding does not mean your CO is going to give you a 5 for military bearing, especially if he/she is/are managing their average.

Is it an up check to the board if the CO writes in the narrative "scoring only reflects separation decision / managing my average?"

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Is it an up check to the board if the CO writes in the narrative "scoring only reflects separation decision / managing my average?"
You absolutely must have language like this in your FITREP if you are rated below CO's average or are not EP. You must kick and scream to ensure that any anomalous grading is explicitly detailed in your Block 41. Doing so allows the briefer to detail as such in the voting tank and leaves no questions.

Not EP:
* MEMBER RATED MP DUE TO LIMITATIONS IN INSTRUCTION. OTHERWISE EP OFFICER *

Below CO's Average:
* ATTENTION BOARD: I RATED XXXXXX AS SUCH TO MANAGE MY AVERAGE. ROCK STAR OFFICER **