• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
They still play zero bearing on your ranking
When I was part of SPAWAR Reserve Program (SRP), my CO, and all other SPWAR Reserve unit CO's had to submit their PFA scores, along with other FITREP input, to their reporting senior, who then used that as one of the differentiators in grading the SPAWAR Reserve unit CO's against one another.

For the push-up and sit-up portion of the event, it was always commical watching how each of the two CO's I had always "max out" those two events. And no, they were not doing the items to standards.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The only lines on a FITREP block 41 that really matter are the breakout and closing lines. Example "My number 2 of 14 highly competitive junior officers", "My number 15 of 70 junior staff officers at a COCOM", "Your guarantee below zone select, press 100 now." etc, etc..
This is horrible advice.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
When I was part of SPAWAR Reserve Program (SRP), my CO, and all other SPWAR Reserve unit CO's had to submit their PFA scores, along with other FITREP input, to their reporting senior, who then used that as one of the differentiators in grading the SPAWAR Reserve unit CO's against one another.

For the push-up and sit-up portion of the event, it was always commical watching how each of the two CO's I had always "max out" those two events. And no, they were not doing the items to standards.

I've seen the same thing. Was the PRT done at the NOSC or unit level? If at the unit that's on the ACFL for not politely mentioned the standards for those 2 events. When I was an O-1 and ACFL I had to do that for a former CO (O-6). Putting my integrity to the test early. Should I let the CO slide just because he's the CO? What are the other members going to think of my integrity and the integrity of the process if I just look the other way? If at a NOSC, that's different story. They couldn't keep eyes on everyone (we have like 40+ people at once) and then it's just up to your partner.

bluemarlin04

This is horrible advice.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

The opening and closing breakout lines are the most important.

Whats between them doesn't matter as much. You could have a whole bunch of stuff between that shows you are the next Fleet Admiral but you need a soft/hard breakout to make it worth anything.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The opening and closing breakout lines are the most important.

Whats between them doesn't matter as much. You could have a whole bunch of stuff between that shows you are the next Fleet Admiral but you need a soft/hard breakout to make it worth anything.
You have to show performance via what's in between the breakouts.

CheckCharlie

Here is what he said he intends to do:

October 2011 - Commission (non-prior)
August 2013 - Finish BQC, become "official" 3105
October 2014 - Drop to IRR
That's not what I said. Again, not what I said. I'm not even going for 3105. However, I can see why some believe it was implied. Original post is below:

If I'm considering a DCO program authorization with a service obligation of 3 years SELRES and 8 years Ready Reserve, can anyone elaborate how the 27 point requirement applies at, for example, year 5 when transferred out of SELRES and into IRR-ASP to finish the 8 years initial MSO? I feel like I have my wires all crossed and I'm missing something.
Let me clear the air, I'm the original poster and I'm a nonprior who's trying to understand the military's requirements for the first time. In other words, I'm just reading the fine print. My intention is to serve respectfully and not short change the service.

Now thank you all for your replies. This definitely sheds light beyond my original question. Clearly some believe that fair is fair. Others believe people need to give and/or get more than is due. And like most things, I'm sure the majority think its somewhere in the grey area.

To be fair, doing the 3 years IS completing that portion of the obligation. Should one desire to come out of SELRES, they met their commitment. If the Navy wants more, just put it in the contract.

At year 5 , it doesn't matter what your points are. You have an 8 year minimum obligation, of which 3 years SELRES and the rest however you want it to be. Stay in SELRES...go IRR...doesn't matter. If you choose IRR, they will not require you to get points. At the same time, the 27 points thing doesn't matter; they will keep you on the books with 0 points per year until your 8 year obligation is up.

After your 8 years, they no longer need you on the books, so they look at your yearly points after that. If you are failing to get the 27 points AFTER your MSO, they eventually get around to discharging you.

Just keep in mind, that should you do this (0 points) and change your mind and decide to pursue retirement, those years will be "bad years" and too many of those will screw you later. If you even remotely desire to obtain retirement, you need to get 50 (35+15) points at every opportunity.
Subreservist, best answer. Thank you for answering my question.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You probably like his answer because it's the least commitment. What are the Navy's three values again?
Tradition, Integrity... wait, those were the values before 1991. I'm pretty sure I saw those words in the motto on a beer bottle once too.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
giphy.gif

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Service is service and there is no rule or other edict that prevents anyone from availing themselves of whatever options are out there in the Reserve world.

If the Navy thought or thinks there are issues, they will make the necessary changes, in due time, which is exactly why we are seeing the dissolution of the IRR-ASP.

The self-righteousness is just stupid.