• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Min. 27 Points for Reserve Officers...for IRR-ASP?

bluemarlin04

the irony of this whole thing is that @Hair Warrior ,as far as I know, is a non-prior service DCO who is a LTJG or ENS and wouldn’t even qualify for VA benefits yet because he hasn’t been active duty outside of training.

Yet he gets on top his soap box and gets this self righteous.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Just look at all the guys/gals that attend the academy and are out once their initial obligation is over.

If I had a recall list of every officer I've met who did their obligation and got the hell out because they wanted/needed free college via ROTC or the academy, I could probably fill the JO billets for the Seventh Fleet. That's including some of them had incredible billets they personally felt was more like tourism than Naval service.

---
It would be unfitting to rag on someone who has to sit around doing quals for 3-5 years before they can think of doing ADOS or MOB (because the Navy Reserve likes to be unique for officers within the military), and depending on the community and timing maybe there's little to nothing available, or billets get cancelled. So you have someone 4+ years in looking for ADOS or MOB, in their mid-late 30s (because DCOs generally run older) with a thousand more concerns and responsibilities than your average 22 year-old, and can't get it. Instead, just indefinitely managing a reserve unit, taking care of all kinds of administrative matters throughout each week.

I think a good step forward is to front-load the qualification training. I get the Navy is trying to save money per FY or be employer-friendly, but Navy Reserve enlisted and other Reserve components and the National Guard don't seem to have a problem here. A possible solution, that would need some kinks worked out obviously, to the issue of too many officers and too few MOB opportunities is splitting some of those 12 month gigs in half.

Last edited by a moderator:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
One possible solution, that would need some kinks worked out obviously, to the issue of too many officers and too few MOB opportunities is splitting some of those 12 month gigs in half.

I don't think you'll see that happening. From others who have deployed (not my experience), it takes a good month or so to get you to speed, maybe longer. Then, as they approach the end of the deployment people go on cruise control. So you only get maybe 6 months of work from 9 month deployment. When I was a newly minted Ensign, I asked my XO the same question.