• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Flight Time

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
squorch2 said:
The standard break in the T-34 was pretty simple - come in at 150 kts offset a bit from the runway and at the upwind numbers roll to 45* AOB, cut the power, drop the gear, and hopefully end up going downwind at 100 kts with the proper interval, offset, etc.

its 170 kts...

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Dmitri said:
A 4.5g load would cause the wings to depart from the aircraft which would slow me down but I would have to start flaping my arms:)
It would only slow you down for a couple seconds, then you would regain your airspeed as a wingless projectile plummeting to the ground.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Don't you guys do an instrument checkride every year too?
Yep, pilots and ECMOs, but it's usually pretty informal - more of a STAN check than getting put through the wringer.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
A 4.5G failure seems like a low safety factor. Is the airframe limited to 4.5G or less?
I read somewhere that the actual aircraft failure point must be like 200% of posted limits for light civil GA planes.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I read somewhere that the actual aircraft failure point must be like 200% of posted limits for light civil GA planes.

Brett

Hmm I thought it was the standard 150%. I could be wrong, been a while since I did civil stuff. I remember the Cessna 172 being like 3.52 Gs G-limit... why you're doing 3.52Gs in a C-172, I'm not sure.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Hmm I thought it was the standard 150%. I could be wrong, been a while since I did civil stuff. I remember the Cessna 172 being like 3.52 Gs G-limit... why you're doing 3.52Gs in a C-172, I'm not sure.
200, 150, what's a couple percentage points between friends. :D As long as you're intent on ripping the wings off your bug-smasher, you might as well do it with authority.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
200, 150, what's a couple percentage points between friends. :D As long as you're intent on ripping the wings off your bug-smasher, you might as well do it with authority.

Brett

Damn right!

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I got up at 0500, headed down to the airport, hopped in a turbo 182, had the radios fail, taxied back an hopped in another turbo 182(something with some power), no other traffic so I shot an ILS to the circling minimums then proceeded to an overhead break as perscribed in the AIM to a touch and go. It made me happy, I finally got my overhead break manuver. I told the controller that he made me the happiest kid on the block:) It ended up being like a tight, descending holding pattern. My co-pilot/former instructor said I am to easily excited.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
I got up at 0500, headed down to the airport, hopped in a turbo 182, had the radios fail, taxied back an hopped in another turbo 182(something with some power), no other traffic so I shot an ILS to the circling minimums then proceeded to an overhead break as perscribed in the AIM to a touch and go. It made me happy, I finally got my overhead break manuver. I told the controller that he made me the happiest kid on the block:) It ended up being like a tight, descending holding pattern. My co-pilot/former instructor said I am to easily excited.

Now try it at 400+ knots.

SingleSeat

...back to the flight hours thang...

You can get a pretty good idea of how many hours you'll make from polling senior LT's in a particular community; i.e. a typical P-3 guy will roll to his 1st shore tour with "X" number of hours and an H-60 bubba will roll with "X."

This really separates the different platforms since the pilots have had three years to show flight hour deviations vice averaging months with massive ups and downs (like deployments).