• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Flight Time

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
NATOPS, every year.

A tactical jet can slow down and get ready for landing real quick...
@ Dimitri: One does do visual approaches from time to time - just kind of shwag it based on altitude and DME, but the prefered method for a VFR recovery is the break. That's when you essentially arrive at the approach end with max knots (the more the better) and usually pattern alt + 500ft. You execute a break turn, slow down, and configure. If you're doing it right, you'll get your gear down at the 90 (base to final turn for GA). It's good times. :D

Brett

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
So doing an overhead break really gets you slowed down to your final approach speed? That is just so wild to me, I've read about it but never thought that jets actually did that. I thought that high performance jets had to have long final approaches to configure for landing.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
So doing an overhead break really gets you slowed down to your final approach speed? That is just so wild to me, I've read about it but never thought that jets actually did that. I thought that high performance jets had to have long final approaches to configure for landing.
I bet even A4's does a high performance break in his 747. I'm sure it scares the sh!t out of his passengers, but oh well. They'll get over it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:

It's high performance, not low performance :icon_smil

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I bet even A4's does a high performance break in his 747. I'm sure it scares the sh!t out of his passengers, but oh well. They'll get over it.
Ummmmmmm .... that's why I always like to take the legs into Guam and Saipan. It's one of the last places that you can "max perform" the big iron and make her fly almost ..... almost ..... almost ...... like she thinks she's a "fighter" ... :)

The PAX usually don't have any problem-O with it ... they're only a bunch of Jap-anese touristas, largely clueless, used to authority figures doing whatever they will
:captain_1. Their main focus is going to where they can burn in the sun, get stung by man-o-war, play golf, and not pay the outrageous Honolulu green fees .... :)

The only ones "scared" by a 747 "max" performance, visual 18-wheeler approach and landing .... are the flight attendants from De-e-e-e-troit. But Oh, well, like Steve said, they'll get over it. Or they can get off in Saipan.

Believe it .... :icon_rast

FelixTheGreat

pilot
Thanks guys. Maybe the next time things are slow at the airport and I am feeling frisky enough I'll see if the controller will let me execute an overhead break from and ILS approach, maybe. I was reading through my instrument stuff and saw that the AIM describes the overhead break as an appropriate manuver for desending to land after breaking out of the clouds and crossing the runway threshold in visual conditions.

Is the break a racetrack/hold-like type pattern with two 180 turns and legs on each side or is it an elongated, continuous 360 descending turn to land?

I know it won't even compare to a high performance jet, even in the most high performance prop but I've got to look towards the future right?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The standard break in the T-34 was pretty simple - come in at 150 kts offset a bit from the runway and at the upwind numbers roll to 45* AOB, cut the power, drop the gear, and hopefully end up going downwind at 100 kts with the proper interval, offset, etc. There was also a max performance break which involved breaking over the downwind numbers - cut power to idle, roll to something (90-120?), pull 4.5 and get the gear down when you've lessened your pull to get back within the g-limits for the gear. It all happens in about 10 seconds. Sadly, now short (max performance) breaks are limited to 60 AOB. And they don't do tail-chase on cruise forms. Stupid g-limiting.

*At Whiting, breaks are done to 30. Not sure why this is.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
Thanks guys. Maybe the next time things are slow at the airport and I am feeling frisky enough...

Friendly piece of advice...please find an instructor to show the proper way to execute the manuever and teach you the procedure. Don't try to wing it. It isn't worth the potential for disaster.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Now that you mention it, they do have that approach requirement, but it's nothing like the civilian stuff. I can't see, or ever remember a case where someone didn't just get the required stuff done as a result of doing normal flight ops - probably why it slipped my mind.

Brett

Don't you guys do an instrument checkride every year too?

FelixTheGreat

pilot
I'll find someone who's done the manuver before to show me the ropes. KAPA airport has a military fuel contract so I get to meet airforce and navy guys who are looking to kill time. I don't think that it would even be anything spectacular in a GA prop plane. A 4.5g load would cause the wings to depart from the aircraft which would slow me down but I would have to start flaping my arms:) In a light airplane it would just end up being a tight pattern circle to land manuver.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Dmitri said:
A 4.5g load would cause the wings to depart from the aircraft which would slow me down but I would have to start flaping my arms:)

A 4.5G failure seems like a low safety factor. Is the airframe limited to 4.5G or less?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
A 4.5G failure seems like a low safety factor. Is the airframe limited to 4.5G or less?

Most GA planes (Cessna, Piper, etc) are limited to the 3.? range.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
I'll find someone who's done the manuver before to show me the ropes. KAPA airport has a military fuel contract so I get to meet airforce and navy guys who are looking to kill time. I don't think that it would even be anything spectacular in a GA prop plane. A 4.5g load would cause the wings to depart from the aircraft which would slow me down but I would have to start flaping my arms:) In a light airplane it would just end up being a tight pattern circle to land manuver.

Yes, please do. You're a mishap waiting to happen if you do it by yourself with no instruction.

And a break in a Cessna 152 will be absolutely pointless, it won't be a break, it'll be a turn to downwind. But, have at it if you want, no harm in it.