• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Flight Time

mike172

GO NAVY
How much flighttime would you say a helo guy gets while not on deployment, and also while on deployment. Thanks

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
mike172 said:
How much flighttime would you say a helo guy gets while not on deployment, and also while on deployment. Thanks

It doesn't matter, the Navy is beginning to realize everyone wants to fly jets and so they are beginning to phase out everything that is non-jetlike. Within a couple years the answer to "What % get jets" will be 100% .

edit: This was discussed before so I attempted to search for it. I was amazing at how many topics were titled " helo --> jets , rotary to fixed , Help what if I get helos , platform transitions, etc. " I think a helo slot would be awesome, especially if you get into one of those combat squadrons ( HS or HC ? )

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Brett327 said:
Requirements vary among communities and there are literally dozens of individual currency and tactical requirements that need to be maintained, but there's no such thing as IFR currency (at least in the jet community).

Hrmm... the pilots over here need to do a certain number of approaches every year to keep their cloud card, something like 12 and 6...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
squorch2 said:
What, maritime strike doesn't do it for you?

haha if the Navy is crazy enough to give me a flight spot then I'll fly whatever. At least we don't have to worry about selecting predator drones yet :icon_mi_1

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Hrmm... the pilots over here need to do a certain number of approaches every year to keep their cloud card, something like 12 and 6...
Now that you mention it, they do have that approach requirement, but it's nothing like the civilian stuff. I can't see, or ever remember a case where someone didn't just get the required stuff done as a result of doing normal flight ops - probably why it slipped my mind.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Now that you mention it, they do have that approach requirement, but it's nothing like the civilian stuff. I can't see, or ever remember a case where someone didn't just get the required stuff done as a result of doing normal flight ops - probably why it slipped my mind.

Brett

It's probably easier when you have a CCA available, but for those of us less endowed, there have been times when you have to have a training hop that is very heavy on PARs. This flight is usually a day or two before the actual checkride, if you know what I mean. Go Ops.

@mike172:

Can't speak for all helos, but for HSL, it would be roughly 40-50 hours when things are hot and heavy in the middle of a deployment. Generally, you'll put around 150 hours a month on the birds, and each is limited to 80 hours each. These numbers are for 3 crews (two pilots each crew) and two aircraft. Obviously, like everything else, it varies w/ time.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
Do you guys have to under go flight reviews every two years like civilian pilots? Also, I was curious if you have heard of a "visual approach" in a jet, I hear jet drivers say they are "on the visual for runway x". It seems to me that in a jet you would have to go out to the Final Approach Fix for the runway and shoot a semi-visual/instrument approach to get a high performance jet configured in a stabilized descent for landing.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Dmitri said:
Do you guys have to under go flight reviews every two years like civilian pilots?
It's once a year, and it's called a NATOPS check. It involves damn near everything regarding flying your particular aircraft.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
Do you guys have to under go flight reviews every two years like civilian pilots?

NATOPS, every year.

Also, I was curious if you have heard of a "visual approach" in a jet, I hear jet drivers say they are "on the visual for runway x". It seems to me that in a jet you would have to go out to the Final Approach Fix for the runway and shoot a semi-visual/instrument approach to get a high performance jet configured in a stabilized descent for landing.

A tactical jet can slow down and get ready for landing real quick...