• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Flight Time

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I was wondering approx. how many hours per month Naval Aviators average. I keep hearing all kinds of stories that military pilots are hurting for flight hours just to keep current. I can deal with 10-15 hours per month, that is the rumor of what military pilots average that I keep hearing. I keep getting beat over the head by these Learjet and Gulfstream drivers out here in Colorado that they are logging 70-80 hours a month, trying to remind me how cool they are. What is typical of a Naval Aviatior's flight time? Is it really an issue to log hours to keep up with currency (IFR, etc.)?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
I was wondering approx. how many hours per month Naval Aviators average. I keep hearing all kinds of stories that military pilots are hurting for flight hours just to keep current. I can deal with 10-15 hours per month, that is the rumor of what military pilots average that I keep hearing. I keep getting beat over the head by these Learjet and Gulfstream drivers out here in Colorado that they are logging 70-80 hours a month, trying to remind me how cool they are. What is typical of a Naval Aviatior's flight time? Is it really an issue to log hours to keep up with currency (IFR, etc.)?
Honestly, it is going to depend on what you fly and where you are in the deployment or work-up cycle. As a jet guy, I would get anywhere from 20-40 hours per month on average. As for the Lear jet homos, all I have to say is, "Ohhh airways navigation, neat-o!"

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
As some one who has done both, 25 hours a month in the Navy flying tactical aircraft beats the he!! out of 70-80 hours a month flying airways. Beside, 80 hours a month is real work. If you don't need to build flight time to get to another job, like just about every one flying a Gulfstream, you are working too hard. I wouldn't brag about that.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Dmitri said:

I'm glad you can deal with 10-15 hours a month. I would hate to hear otherwise. As far as 70-80 hours a month, okay :boring_12 Like said above, must be tough navigating those jet routes.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Dmitri said:

I would contact the Navy right away and let them know that you are willing to only fly 10 - 15 hours a month. I know in my case that I told my ROTC advisor if I couldn't get at least 25 I was going to DOR. :icon_wink In all seriousness though, from what I have seen on this board your job in the Navy isn't going to be just flying, you're a Naval Officer first. The lear and gulfstream guys job is to fly and for the most part, thats it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bunk22 said:
I'm glad you can deal with 10-15 hours a month. I would hate to hear otherwise. As far as 70-80 hours a month, okay :boring_12 Like said above, must be tough navigating those jet routes.

Don't worry bunk, you can be a 70-80 a month guy at your next command if you want. I'm sure 80 hours a month in a Texan is only slightly more comfortable than a T-34 seat.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys are ruthless I tell you....ruthless. SWO's may eat their young, but you guys are always snacking on hour d'oeuvres

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
gatordev said:
Don't worry bunk, you can be a 70-80 a month guy at your next command if you want. I'm sure 80 hours a month in a Texan is only slightly more comfortable than a T-34 seat.

That's what I hear. I think about 20 hours a month is all this balding, aging aviator can handle :D

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
10-15 is average on home cycle for P-3s, sometimes more. On deployment my best month was 80 hours, my worst was 25 hours. All depends on where you are and what you're doing. With MMA i'm sure you'll see time go way up. Since P-3s have three pilots for long missions you end up losing out on some of your hours because the hours are split 3 ways and you end up with some SCREW time (Special Crew). When you sign for the plane you get all the A time, even if your in the rack for half of it.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
Whats the deal with recency requirements in the military? Do you still have go up and do 6 approachs and turns in a hold to be IFR current or do you just have to meet a certain number of flight hours per month?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
Whats the deal with recency requirements in the military? Do you still have go up and do 6 approachs and turns in a hold to be IFR current or do you just have to meet a certain number of flight hours per month?
Requirements vary among communities and there are literally dozens of individual currency and tactical requirements that need to be maintained, but there's no such thing as IFR currency (at least in the jet community).

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
I keep getting beat over the head by these Learjet and Gulfstream drivers out here in Colorado that they are logging 70-80 hours a month, trying to remind me how cool they are.

What a bunch of fags. Yeah, real cool flying admin your entire flight career. *yawn*

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Don't C-12's do a lot of airway navigation?

Except you dont start in C-12s, and even if you did, youve already done formation, low levels, aerobatics, etc. More than most straight-civilian pilots can claim, especially the formation side of things.

Bragging to a non-pilot about flying a Learjet... good to go. Bragging to a military pilot? Yawn.

Call me a snob.