• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MIA A4sForever?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
(Chuckle) I look away from AW for two minutes and the threadjack has been threadjacked in fine style.

SUs are finicky unless you really know what you're doing :)

(I would have guessed they were HS6s, but if they're HS4s then that means the lady must be petite.)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Good. 4's they are. Had 6's (with hi-lift cam, pstns c/r 10:1) but it kept blowing heads. Heads are hard to get, now. So back to square one, all stock.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
half2.jpg

Better, frontal shot. Give a better impression of the car.

Mods: Probably should move this thread jack "mess" I started to a new thread .. aaahhhhh.... maybe aptly named "Double Entendre". Sorry.

FlyinRock

Some really cool rides. I had a Healy 3000 in the early 60's. A MB 190SL mid 50's. Now I drive a Nissan Versa. Oh well ..... it gets me to work and back!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My dad used to have a bug eyed Sprite. In high school and college I drove a TR-6 and '67 (289 3 speed on the floor) Cougar. I used to eat MG 4 bangers alive with that TR-6. (I'm trying to forget about the 65 Falcon with 3 speed on the collumn that I drove with a bag over my head for a while). My best buddy drove an Austin 3000. Other friends drove an XKE Jag, 440 Cuda, 68 Firebird, 67 Chevelle, 68 Vette, 69 or 70 GTO etc. 67 Camero's were everywhere.

I had one friend who was a bit out there anyway who drove an old '65ish Peugeot that had a 6 speed on the collumn shifter. (maybe 5 but I remember 6)

You could find all of these except maybe the Cuda in the HS parking lot every day.

The late 60's and early 70's were good times for car people. I'm sure A4's would agree :D

MasterBates

Now, there are very few choices for a nice ride on a normal budget. Heck, I can't even touch a 1968 Mustang like the one I had in college on my budget.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I probably don't have the experience most of you guys have, and probably didn't have the adventures most of you are having, but I feel bad for you for the changes in Naval Aviation. The camaraderie, the freedom, the lack of stifling restrictions was what we most enjoyed. In VT-land, we had beer musters at the squadron or in the area in front of the BOQ to celebrate solos and carrier quals. In the RAG we all went to Mexico while doing bombs and rockets at Yuma. While in VN, we all took R&R, a 7-day trip, another 7-day trip, and a jungle survival class in the Philipines (that no one attended), and it was all basket leave, never charged against us. At the survival school, after we had been sending all pilots there for two years, a guy actually went, and the instructors said they had never heard of our squadron.

When we had visitors, be they Admirals, reporters, Aussies, SEALs, civilians, or other pilots, we'd take them for a ride. Anytime we had an empty back seat, we'd take one of our enlisted guys. We always had targets, and we always received clearance to shoot.

You guys talk about the "command attitude" of each type of squadron. Our JO's set the "command attitude". We had the VAL-4 Head-Up-And-Locked award that we presented to the senior officer (usually) who made the stupidest mistake, and the CO and XO were not excluded. It became an honor to be so marked, and it was given and taken in good spirits.

I tell these things to my daughter and my son, and they can't quite comprehend it. Obviously, things have changed, and we can't change them back. But remember how it was, and try your best to make new traditions and adventure.

That's what A4s was trying to tell you.

Yea, what he said. I've noticed a lot of changes since from 1974 to 2011, both good and bad. And those changes will continue from generation to generation. Fresh out of 'A' school and landing at NAS Lemoore in 74, I couldn't help but notice all the guys with 'FTN' tattooed between their knuckles and them bitching "this ain't my Navy anymore". That aspect will never change.