• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
thanks bogie and phrog. my class officer made it clear that he will support me all the way so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope I get into IW communit. I'm really not interested in anything else... Aviation is only thing I knew of coming to OCS and I barely even know about IW right now but I like it that it's so secretive haha. I will keep you folks updated. but yea thanks for your help and please do fill me in with any information you guys think will be useful!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Shotcalla, you have just experienced my biggest fear about the whole OCS process. Good luck with everything and definately let us know how it all goes. Your decision to stay the course to become a Naval Officer is a testiment to your dedication. Best of luck!

kevoGTO

SNA select OCS 8Sept07, ProRec SNA 26Jan09
OC 2: A guy failed to meet eye standards for pilot. He was retested twice and failed all times. His dream was to be a pilot so he left to get PRK and was going to try to come back. Went to student pool and eventually separated (3 weeks).

...And he (me) is being evaluated for the PRK touch up in about 20 minutes. I'll be back...

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
Shotcalla, you have just experienced my biggest fear about the whole OCS process. Good luck with everything and definately let us know how it all goes. Your decision to stay the course to become a Naval Officer is a testiment to your dedication. Best of luck!

you know wat... prior to coming to OCS, I thought that if I was ever NPQed out of Aviation, I would quit and go home because I thought that I was joining the Navy to fly... and honestly... if I had found out during indoctrination week that I was NPQed, maybe I would've took the option to go home in a heartbeat... but it's a little different because I found out after a month and half into OCS. Yes I'm disappointed as hell that I won't be wearing Wings of Gold ever in my life but RIGHT NOW all I'm concentrating on is getting my gold ensign bars. I'm satisfied knowing that I've gone all the way to follow my dreams of flying in the Navy... until that door completely shut on me... but hey, that's life and I'm moving on trying my best to fill my thoughts only with positive outlook/perspectives. My best advice to some of you folks is... don't let your fears interfere with you going after what you want for yourself. so what if things don't work out, atleast you would have tried your best right? everything works out for the best in the end anyway (atleast that's what I like to believe =P ).

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
How often is it that someone fails the flight physical then DOR's to go have the corrective surgery (sinus, PRK, whatever) then gets picked back up? Is it possible to maintain your OCS invite while you go do that or do you have to totally separate then go through the whole reapply process again?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have never seen any. You also don't get an "invite" to OCS. You go, complete or do not complete. Go to OCS with your chances the best because I've never seen people get back to OCS after leaving.

eyzondapryz

shotcalla that advice to not let your fears get in the way of doing what you want is huge....When you do, you have regret. I'm glad I came across your testimonial, because yes s**t happens, in whatever career you choose...I'm glad you found the motivation to keep pushing through I hope all works out for you!

staff03

I just got the final select for SNA and was wondering how many more physicals/flight physicals will be ahead of me? I understand that there is a flight physical the first week of OCS, but are there any more after that during the training process? Just wondering how many more times I am gonna have to sweat it out at the depth perception test...

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I just got the final select for SNA and was wondering how many more physicals/flight physicals will be ahead of me? I understand that there is a flight physical the first week of OCS, but are there any more after that during the training process? Just wondering how many more times I am gonna have to sweat it out at the depth perception test...
One long form flight physical (full deal) day one of OCS. Physicals are good for 12 months (based off your birth month). Once you turn 25, 30, 35 and 40 you require long form, while all other years a short form. Long form physical 01May08 and your birthday is 30Oct08. Your next physical would be due in the end of October.

As for the depth perception test do not sweat it. Seriously, nerves will probably screw you up. I failed my MEPS depth perception test, but then went on later to get a civilian test and pass fine. I then did the depth perception test in OCS and one time after OCS and passed no problem. I can't explain what happened, maybe it was the machine, but if you'll be fine in the end. An eye doc told me once that depth perception is something you either have or don't have. It is not something that will degrade.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
One long form flight physical (full deal) day one of OCS. Physicals are good for 12 months (based off your birth month). Once you turn 25, 30, 35 and 40 you require long form, while all other years a short form. Long form physical 01May08 and your birthday is 30Oct08. Your next physical would be due in the end of October.

As for the depth perception test do not sweat it. Seriously, nerves will probably screw you up. I failed my MEPS depth perception test, but then went on later to get a civilian test and pass fine. I then did the depth perception test in OCS and one time after OCS and passed no problem. I can't explain what happened, maybe it was the machine, but if you'll be fine in the end. An eye doc told me once that depth perception is something you either have or don't have. It is not something that will degrade.

Failed color (passed alternate) and ALMOST failed depth at MEPS, and passed both no problem at NAMI at OCS. Don't sweat it. You'll be hydrated up the ass when you take the tests at OCS, so you'll be fine...

Insomneo

Yeah, I got both lucky and unlucky at MEPS. Did the vision test fine, no problem, except me mishearing him saying that there are only D's and no O's, which was bogus because I was seeing O's and D's, but in the end I just said D's. For the depth perception test I was rushed. On top of being nervous as hell, since I am going for pilot, I completely botched it, but the tester passed me anyways. I could see which one popped out after awhile, but since I was being rushed by the tester saying "Come on, your taking all day" it was difficult to concentrate, so I guessed way before I could see it [mistake I know].

I say good because the guy passed me, and I know that after awhile of looking at it I could have seen the correct circle. I say bad because for awhile I was a bit down thinking that my eyes were not good enough, but now I know I was just being rushed.

Since everyone has said that you will no be rushed during the physical at OCS I am sure I will do well on all aspects of the test.

I have also read that at MEPS it is common for the depth perception test to not be set up correctly, so this could have also been the case.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I got both lucky and unlucky at MEPS. Did the vision test fine, no problem, except me mishearing him saying that there are only D's and no O's, which was bogus because I was seeing O's and D's, but in the end I just said D's. For the depth perception test I was rushed. On top of being nervous as hell, since I am going for pilot, I completely botched it, but the tester passed me anyways. I could see which one popped out after awhile, but since I was being rushed by the tester saying "Come on, your taking all day" it was difficult to concentrate, so I guessed way before I could see it [mistake I know].

I say good because the guy passed me, and I know that after awhile of looking at it I could have seen the correct circle. I say bad because for awhile I was a bit down thinking that my eyes were not good enough, but now I know I was just being rushed.

Since everyone has said that you will no be rushed during the physical at OCS I am sure I will do well on all aspects of the test.

I have also read that at MEPS it is common for the depth perception test to not be set up correctly, so this could have also been the case.

I don't know about RI, but in pensacola, at NAMI, they KNEW what was on the line for pilots and the HMs were very patient with us.