• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mega Marine Boot Insole/Boots Thread

mserver

Thanks Doc, what kind of boots do you recommend then if the Bates Lites are not going to hold up? If Im strictly going to use them for pt then they would be fine right? Thanks again.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Yeah sure, they're fine for sprint events like the O-course and CRT/Combat course. They are quite a bit lighter and do allow for a bit more spring. However, like has been said before, they lack tread (the soles are actually a kind of hardened foam-like material) and support for activities such as humping. I've seen candidates really screw up their feet due to wearing lites on long humps. Again, some guys LOVE them...I'm wary.

Personally, 590 Belleville Jungles are my favorite. They issue the Bellevilles and Bates at OCS. You will recieve a pair of jungles (distinguished by the water/ventillation grommets on the in-step) and a pair of gore-tex ICB's (500 Bellevilles).

mserver

thanks for the info doc. so do you recommend me buying the bellevilles over the bates? honestly, what do you think would be better for the plc junior program, the lites or the bellevilles? I just want the best opportunity to do well, and my feet tend to blister easily (bad college football experiences).

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I don't know your feet. For me: I did juniors with an extra pair of Belleville ICB's and was just fine. The program at juniors, PLC-comb., and OCC does allow for boot break in time. You won't be asked to run 5 miles in your boots the day they are issued. You will probably get blisters, prepare for that.

If you get down there an feel the lites would really be the best thing, you can always go to Quantico Boot right there in Q-town and pick up a pair during your first libo.

mserver

Bates Men's Durashocks USMC Waterproof/ICB Boot...or
500/590 Belleville US Marine Corps Approved Desert Boot?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
mserver said:
Bates Men's Durashocks USMC Waterproof/ICB Boot...or
500/590 Belleville US Marine Corps Approved Desert Boot?

If given the option between Bates and Bellevilles, I would ALWAYS take Bellevilles

Carno

Insane
Me too. I only had one pair of boots (ICB's) through the ten weeks of OCS, and they were awesome. No problems with them at all. Comfortable as hell.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Buy them only if you want. It is not necessary. Plenty of people who dont buy them get through it just fine. but whether or not you buy them, you will still be issued boots there - you will just have an extra broken in pair.

But if you do decide to buy them, my thought would be to go ahead and buy them now. that way you have time to send them back if theres a problem, or whatever and have plenty of time to break them in.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
mserver said:
so since I am shipping out July 9th should I buy a pair of boots now to break them in?

There really isn't a need to...you will find some who do but the break in period is included in OCS so you won't be asked to do anything that requires broken in boots until long after your boots are broken in...

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
I had a problem with blisters until I got some teflon socks - $10 a pair but they work. I'm still debating whether its worth buying a week's supply of them to take to OCS.

My Belleville's might be heavier than the Bates lights but I don't really notice the weight. They broke in quickly by wearing them wet until they dried. Their sizes run a bit different - I'm normally a 9.5/10, the ones I got are 9s and I really could have gotten 8.5s.

mserver

alright, Ill buy some bellevilles in the next few weeks. Giving me time to send them back or just get used to running in some boots...is it a pain in the ass? how much different is it than running in regular shoes?

Carno

Insane
You'll get used to running in boots. Except for the extra weight, I actually don't mind running in my ICB's at all.

Oh yeah one more thing.. Make sure you buy some quality inserts and use them instead of the inserts that come with the boots.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
mserver said:
...get used to running in some boots...is it a pain in the ass? how much different is it than running in regular shoes?

Its not that bad. I've only ran in them about 4-5 times so far. The only difference that you'll notice is that its not as springy as a shoe would be. The weight is not really that much of an issue. I'm sure that long distance might suck, but after the first minute or two you forget about it.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Slammer2 said:
Its not that bad. I've only ran in them about 4-5 times so far. The only difference that you'll notice is that its not as springy as a shoe would be. The weight is not really that much of an issue. I'm sure that long distance might suck, but after the first minute or two you forget about it.

No, its not that bad. The weight is an issue, so is the fact that they are boots and come up to your shins rather than your ankles (thereby stressing different bones/muscles). The weight you will notice when it is time to go back to shoes.

Running long distances isn't too bad in boots...but you will run in them ALOT at TBS...