• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medals Database being Considered by Pentagon

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
http://valor.defense.gov/

I haven't seen the link posted yet, so here it is. The database has already been created for Medals of Honor and service crosses, and silver star recipient lists are under development.

The site is only for awards post-9/11. I didn't count, but there probably aren't 50 total entries yet. If you expand this to earlier dates or lesser awards it is going to grow in cost. If you tie it into the services' different personnel systems the cost increase is going to be logarithmic.

The site is only for awards post-9/11. I didn't count, but there probably aren't 50 total entries yet. If you expand this to earlier dates or lesser awards it is going to grow in cost. If you tie it into the services' different personnel systems the cost increase is going to be logarithmic.
True. I don't believe that the site is meant to expand into pre-9/11 time periods.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
True. I don't believe that the site is meant to expand into pre-9/11 time periods.

There seemed to be more 'posers' from the Vietnam era, than later. I have called out about 6-8 during years between 1978-1990 (mostly in VFWs). Usually claimed to be pilots in the 'nam. I was the wrong dude to try to BS 'bout that! Always ended the same... quietly & quickly "hit the door" red-faced, leaving drink unfinished.:mad:
BzB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There seemed to be more 'posers' from the Vietnam era, than later. I have called out about 6-8 during years between 1978-1990 (mostly in VFWs). Usually claimed to be pilots in the 'nam. I was the wrong dude to try to BS 'bout that! Always ended the same... quietly & quickly "hit the door" red-faced, leaving drink unfinished.:mad:
BzB
Pretty ballsy for guys like that to try to pull that off at a VFW full of other guys who talk the talk.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you tie it into the services' different personnel systems the cost increase is going to be logarithmic.
Just what we'd need. Stolen Valor allegations because NDAWS is jacked up. When has that EVER happened? :-p

robav8r

None
Contributor
Well certainly those big ones. But ADM Boorda got bent out of shape for "lesser" awards.

As for my detailer, OSR, etc... They only just got updated in the last month or two, and only because I re-re-resubmitted some awards through their convuluted process. I still don't understand why we need three databases to track all this stuff, especially when one database may be incorrect, but the process requires you to submit to another database, which may vary well have the correct info (ie, NDAWS).
I did an informal survey of quite a few folks I have known for awhile. And, I have been in the service for awhile. I, along with almost everyone I know, has never had a problem with the accuracy of their OSR, NSIPS, NDAWS. Maybe I have been "sheltered" but I just don't see a problem with the way the Navy tracks personal awards.

exNavyOffRec

I did an informal survey of quite a few folks I have known for awhile. And, I have been in the service for awhile. I, along with almost everyone I know, has never had a problem with the accuracy of their OSR, NSIPS, NDAWS. Maybe I have been "sheltered" but I just don't see a problem with the way the Navy tracks personal awards.

You have been lucky, I honestly did not know how screwed up the system was until getting ready for retirement, I have yet to encounter a single person that retired recently that didn't have issues with NSIPS or NDAWS, but my biggest issue is with the electronic service record, mainly because they had to play catch up and scan the hard copy in.

I believe those whose careers have started with the electronic service record will have few issues.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You have been lucky, I honestly did not know how screwed up the system was until getting ready for retirement, I have yet to encounter a single person that retired recently that didn't have issues with NSIPS or NDAWS, but my biggest issue is with the electronic service record, mainly because they had to play catch up and scan the hard copy in.

I believe those whose careers have started with the electronic service record will have few issues.
You HAVE to review your own record - regularly. I've tried to do it at least every 6 months or so, it's not hard, you just have to find the time to do it.

exNavyOffRec

You HAVE to review your own record - regularly. I've tried to do it at least every 6 months or so, it's not hard, you just have to find the time to do it.

on the electronic service record mine was one of the last to be scanned in, it was done in 2010, and I thought it was all correct, only when I was doing a final review did I notice the mistakes, and it was really only one page that mattered, but I kept my hard copy that they told me I could do with what I wanted.

on NSIPS and such yes, and it gets tiring trying to get the same issues corrected time after time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Which I do...and continue to find errors, either because the three databases don't match and/or because the corrections I've put in haven't made it into the system. No doubt, some of that is weak admin support, but in a way, therein lies the problem. But still, an award from 2004 that I (as in personally mailed/faxed, back when you could do that) have submitted multiple times is still not in there? Along with multiple other issues of a mismatched record (again, my OSR looks great) is just ridiculous.

I haven't had some of the trials or tribulations that others have had here during my career, so I guess this is one of my obstacles. I just never thought it would be one that I'd be continuing to have to overcome until retirement.

robav8r

None
Contributor
But still, an award from 2004 that I (as in personally mailed/faxed, back when you could do that) have submitted multiple times is still not in there?
Yeah, that's a bit ridiculous. While it sounds crazy, I have heard of folks traveling to BUPERS to actually update their record in person. I do agree with you completely that there can be an incredible lack of professionalism and follow-up on the personnel who are supposed to take care of these tasks at times.

MasterBates

Yep.. I have a third Air Medal that is NOT in my record. The memo showing carryover points to the fourth is there.. But no number 3. Meh. I have the paper award in a box along with the medal.

I file it under a "not that it really matters, but really, how hard is it to do your damn job" header.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yep.. I have a third Air Medal that is NOT in my record. The memo showing carryover points to the fourth is there.. But no number 3. Meh. I have the paper award in a box along with the medal.

I file it under a "not that it really matters, but really, how hard is it to do your damn job" header.

Mine has always been the opposite problem. I'm showing an extra NAM and two extra Air Medals that I don't rate (as far as I know).

Admin won't take them out because I can't prove that I didn't receive them.

Logic is not their strong point.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How and what crap makes it in is hilarious to me. Our command got a NATO medal for last deployment and we got an email from our personnel types telling us about it and that it would be reflected in NSIPS and all that since we all rated it. So I check NSIPS and of course it's not in there. Conversely, somehow BOL has given me the DH AQD.

KBayDog

If only NSIPS was as aggressive in reminding the "powers that be" that they have awards to process as it is in reminding me that one of my squids has a pending leave request...