• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medals Database being Considered by Pentagon

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I think that's the point they might be finally trying to get... that we need a single database, with some level of public access if we're not going to prosecute people for lying about awards and achievements. I agree with the single-database idea in theory, not sure about the level of public access.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure I understand why the public needs access to my personal awards. Are people in the private sector being hired on the basis of how many Navy Comms they have? This whole thing is silly.

OscarMyers

None
Isn't this what your DD214 is for? I figure if verification of awards is that big of a deal, then the perspective employer should ask to see it. And for NSIPS, my record was scanned twice and barely anything got in the database, on top of that half of my paper record was missing when they returned it. Thank god for our retired Warrant admin clerk, the adminfu is strong in this one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Isn't this what your DD214 is for? I figure if verification of awards is that big of a deal, then the perspective employer should ask to see it. And for NSIPS, my record was scanned twice and barely anything got in the database, on top of that half of my paper record was missing when they returned it. Thank god for our retired Warrant admin clerk, the adminfu is strong in this one.

The 214 can be forged, though, as has apparently been done. I'm not sure it's any more or less accurate, anyway. My last DD214 I did I told the YN/PS dude typing it up that I think I was supposed to have a GWOT-EM. I didn't have any proof, but if I had pushed it, he probably would have put it in there. I didn't have any proof, so I told him don't worry about it and I'd add it later through a record entry. Obviously a GWOT-xM doesn't equal a MOH, but still.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not a bad idea at face value. I just wonder if the awards processing rigamarole might just get a little more convoluted. I can see it becoming a 167-step process as the DoD standard verification system kicks in.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure I understand why the public needs access to my personal awards. Are people in the private sector being hired on the basis of how many Navy Comms they have? This whole thing is silly.

No, I do not think it "silly."
  1. I am proud of my awards as few as they may be. In some cases, I risked my life for them.
  2. I served for my country, and the taxpayers. I think they have a right to see where their money went if they want.
  3. I am amazed at how many doors can be opened by certain medals and/or disabilities. I am also amazed at how many low life assholes lie and falsify their record to open these doors – for their personal and monetary gain.
  4. When rats are trying to steal the cheese, it is light and sunshine that makes them disperse. So open up the records for all to see who is the hero, and who is the blighted scum.

The repeal of the Stolen Valor Act was a blow. Something needs to been done to stem the epidemic of assholes pretending to be Rambos. An open database thus is something I can support.

Epidemic of military imposters.... including Skeeterman

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As soon as you invoke words like "epidemic," your credibility is shot. This is not an important problem. I can think of a hundred things our legislators ought to be working on before they get to something as trivial as this.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As soon as you invoke words like "epidemic," your credibility is shot. This is not an important problem. I can think of a hundred things our legislators ought to be working on before they get to something as trivial as this.

Really? You base all my "credibility" upon one word – "epidemic?"

FYI, that was not my word, but quoted from the sources. Nevertheless it is an epidemic problem in the view of many. For years I have put my money where my mouth was, and supported the POW Network with donations in their valiant fight. Have you?

Yes, I agree there are hundreds of much more important things our legislators need to work on. But this is a quickie and no-brainer. And of some importance for not only those who have served, but also their families.

Net net, if you want to be so anal and pedantic to quibble, then go pound sand! No wonder A4sforever got fed up!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you propose be done? It's not an epidemic, that's absolutely ridiculous. This couldn't possibly be a factor in but the most obscure of cases. Fraud is fraud, and there are laws on the books to provide relief to those who are victimized. There need not be any further state or federal action on this. If it's such a problem, provide us with some stats, please.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you propose be done? It's not an epidemic, that's absolutely ridiculous. This couldn't possibly be a factor in but the most obscure of cases. Fraud is fraud, and there are laws on the books to provide relief to those who are victimized. There need not be any further state or federal action on this. If it's such a problem, provide us with some stats, please.

http://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/stolen-valor-becoming-epidemic-say-vets

Time for DoD to get on the ball and help stamp out this epidemic of stolen valor.
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2012/06/stolen-valor-round-ii.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...stolen-valor-epidemic-military-imposters.html