• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medals Database being Considered by Pentagon

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your links aren't particularly convincing, nor do they contain stats. This is a manufactured "issue." Wouldn't you rather congress focus on passing a budget?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your links aren't particularly convincing, nor do they contain stats. This is a manufactured "issue." Wouldn't you rather congress focus on passing a budget?
Would a hardwood, 2x4 whacked upside your refractory head be more convincing? Apparently not. Thus worthless dialogue.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It seems to me that those that have been shot at time and time again by barrages of SAMs and AA fire while seeing friends die or be captured on a daily basis think this is more of a problem then those that haven't.

I am not saying Iraq and Afghanistan are not dangerous, but they don't come close to WW2, Korea or Vietnam Nam.

I'll go with the opinion of those that have earned or have friends that have earned these types of awards.

OscarMyers

None
Forgeries of DD-214s have become widespread. For a price, they are available on the internet.

Related
And more...

You think this would be more of an issue then stolen valor..... Fixing a system that already in place and obviously flawed seems like a better alternative to reinventing the wheel and adding another database.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would a hardwood, 2x4 whacked upside your refractory head be more convincing? Apparently not. Thus worthless dialogue.
I understand you feel strongly about this, but that doesn't mean it's the only valid way to view it. I think there's value in quantifying how bad a problem might be before assigning words like epidemic to it. I can write a blog about the epidemic of Bigfoot sightings in the PAC NW, and I might even believe that it's true, but that doesn't mean there is an actual epidemic.

There are a whole host of emotionally driven non-issues that our politicians waste time on for one reason or another (death panels come to mind). I just wish our legislators and policy makers would make decisions on actual facts rather than emotional outburst.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand you feel strongly about this, but that doesn't mean it's the only valid way to view it. I think there's value in quantifying how bad a problem might be before assigning words like epidemic to it. I can write a blog about the epidemic of Bigfoot sightings in the PAC NW, and I might even believe that it's true, but that doesn't mean there is an actual epidemic.

There are a whole host of emotionally driven non-issues that our politicians waste time on for one reason or another (death panels come to mind). I just wish our legislators and policy makers would make decisions on actual facts rather than emotional outburst.
Wow! You need to get out more often, start reading, and look around!
Yours is some incredible mulishness; so much so I shouldn't ever bother. Nevertheless here is another 2X4 for the incorrigibly obstinate:

Epidemic: A rapid spread or increase in the occurrence of something.

I do not know what your problem is with the word, epidemic. It is not my word. But it is what it is, and many if not most familiar with the issue agree there is an epidemic of stolen valor.

No less than the US Supreme Court Justices Alito, Scalia and Thomas in their Supreme Court dissenting opinion referred to the issue being an "epidemic." So go argue with them!

JUSTICE ALITO, with whom JUSTICE SCALIA and JUSTICE THOMAS join, dissenting.​
"Only the bravest of the brave are awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor,
but the Court today holds that
every American has a constitutional right to claim to have
received this singular award. The Court strikes down the
Stolen Valor Act of 2005, which was enacted to stem an
epidemic [my emphasis] of false claims about military decorations. These
lies, .........." SCOTUS LINK

Google should also enlighten you, or at least give a clue: Stolen Valor Epidemic

Regardless, my work here is done, wrestling with this pig.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger, only one way to look at it - no room for debate. If you don't want to discuss it, that's your choice. I'm still not sure what the scope of the problem is in any quantitative way. Maybe it's as bad as you say, but without numbers we'll really never know. I'm not sure why you feel the need to turn this into a personal attack just because we have a difference of opinion.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Drink up.
Ohyeah.gif

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What's up with everyone being pissy little bitches all of a sudden?