• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

McCain's Surprise VP Pick; governor, pilot, and can wield an M4

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just hate how the VP race has turned into more of a marketing game...... but people aren't stupid....
Actually ... people are stupid. Very stupid.

And you don't like political "marketing"???

What country did you say you emigrated from, anyway ... ??? :)

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Actually ... people are stupid. Very stupid.

Yep. I think winning the American Presidency is mostly about capturing what could be called the "big dummy vote" or perhaps the "full retard vote."

That's why Obama was doing so well (up until the last few weeks) - he's young, he's black, he's "cool," he surfs, he listens to good music.....as for ideas, well...the average American voter doesn't know or truly care what a candidate stands for.

So yeah, picking a young, hot woman is very transparent, but the Republican party is playing to their market pretty damn well here, I think.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You see, this is exactly why it's a brilliant pick. Folks are talking about the McCain campaign now; excited or not, they're talking, though it seems mostly excited, or at the very least interested. Not "the Progression of Obama and what McCain is doing in response".

Just watched her unveiling on CNN. She's a great speaker, not stuffy or stilted. Comes across hot on TV, too. I was worried she'd be a shrill Geraldine Ferraro type, but definitely not.

I think Mac's got this thing locked up. The base is now pumped about the ticket, moderates and independents are paying attention, great way to exploit the disgruntlement of the Hillarites. They may not vote for Mac-MILF, but they may stay home, which is the same thing. And how many PTA meetings did Hillary ever chair?

To preface, I have no idea what I think about this pick.

Would you care to elaborate on your statment? :)

I see this as a stunt to get people excited. Oh wow, another woman. Let's get past the gender BS, just as everyone says lets get past the minority BS. Granted, it is a milestone for Barack to be the first minority presidential candidate. She has little experience and basically no foreign policy experience. Her inexperience will soon be revealed and will be regarded as the Dan Quayle of the 21st century.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You see, this is exactly why it's a brilliant pick. Folks are talking about the McCain campaign now; excited or not, they're talking.... not "the Progression of Obama and what McCain is doing in response". ...
Exactly.

It was semi-amusing ... and semi-pathetic ... to watch the MSM outlets desperately trying to hang onto the "glow" from Denver
early this AM and minimize any attention going to the McCain campaign. Some wags even said the McCain campaign were "LIARS" :eek: for "misleading" them over the Republican VP possibilities in weeks just past and they would "pay" for that in the rest of the campaign.

Finally, even the most left-sympathetic MSM "reporters" had to acknowledge that there was a new political subject emerging today that HAD to be covered ...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really?? Who are you talkin' about?? Obama?? :confused:

Even better! The Dems are grasping for a talking point now, and all they've got so far is "well, the experience issue is off the table." Over and over.

In other words, they're saying over and over, "our candidate is inexperienced, too...our candidate is inexperienced, too...and he's on the top of our ticket!"

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I do think it's an odd choice, given that the Reps main strategy has been attacking Obama on his lack of expereince. She's been on the city council and the major of a city of 5,000? And governor of a tiny state for 2 years?

I know she's the VP and Obama's the head of his ticket so it isn't apples to apples, but it does seem to diminish the Reps' "no experience" argument. By selecting someone as VP, you are saying they are ready to lead. If the Dems' word it carefully so as not to feed into the experience argument (which they are always going to be on the losing side of), I think they can spin this to play into their approach of attacking McCain's judgement, which is shaping up to be their prime anti-McCain tactic.

Given his age, I think McCain's VP choice is especially important from a "ready to lead" perspective.

I am also a bit surprised that McCain didn't pick someone who would help bring him an important swing state.

OTOH, I think she brings the "vote with my uterus" crowd to the Right. And it will be dicey for Biden to go after her in the debates because right or wrong, it will bother people to see an attractive youngish woman being really attacked.

All in all, it kind of seems like a wash to me.

Delta7

Am I the only one here who thinks this was a pretty transparent effort to sway voters? Sure, it might grab some of the staunch Hillary voters, but I'd rather pick a leader based on their merits and experience...not their token vagina.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for women in office, but people aren't stupid. They're going to see what he's doing here. I know some of you mentioned it earlier, but you seem pleased about it. I'm confused by that. Seems more like an insult to our intelligence.

I just hate how the VP race has turned into more of a marketing game.

Tyler,

Wow! A Presidential candidate might pick a running mate in an “effort to sway voters?” How nefarious.

Is “swaying voters” always hypocritical? Or is it only objectionable when it’s the candidate’s gender that’s behind the swaying? Do you feel this is a bad thing for all politicians, or just members of one party? Were you upset that Obama might have chosen Biden in an attempt to “sway voters” too? Or—using your own formulation—is that OK because Biden lacks (as far as I know) a vagina?

Not saying you are a liberal... but it’s certainly part of liberal dogma to suggest that Republicans are being cynical when they pick “token” women (or African-Americans, for that matter) for important government positions. Presumably, when liberals pick women for these positions, their motives are more pure.

Frankly, I don’t think your post does much to disprove the assertion that “people aren’t stupid.” On the other hand, I guess I can’t claim the “intellectual high ground” either after my earlier post above! J

Cheers,
John
A proudly stupid American, who is at least partially swayed by McCain’s choice... especially after watching a few of her YouTube videos.

PS. After watching her speak in those videos, I'd say that although her resume isn't long chronologically, it appears pretty respectable if McCain's looking to boost his ticket's image as "anti-corruption," stir-up-some-change-in-DC," "pro-drilling-while-respecting-the-environment," "in-touch-with-the-every-day-American." At least at first blush, that's the way she comes across to me.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do think it's an odd choice, given that the Reps main strategy has been attacking Obama on his lack of expereince. She's been on the city council and the major of a city of 5,000? And governor of a tiny state for 2 years?

I know she's the VP and Obama's the head of his ticket so it isn't apples to apples, but it does seem to diminish the Reps' "no experience" argument...

That's what I'm saying. There's nothing Obama has that Palin doesn't, experience-wise. And she's at least got some time as an executive, while he has none. And they can't attack her without saying, "OBAMA IS INEXPERIENCED".

Status
Not open for further replies.