• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

McCain's Surprise VP Pick; governor, pilot, and can wield an M4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
That's what I'm saying. There's nothing Obama has that Palin doesn't, experience-wise. And she's at least got some time as an executive, while he has none. And they can't attack her without saying, "OBAMA IS INEXPERIENCED".
Well, I don't think that will be a major line of attack from the Dems anyway, but it does blunt the major GOP attack of inexperience for Obama. Her resume is tissue thin, her executive experience is short-lived, she is younger than Obama, and she was a former beauty queen. As said before, you don't really look at Obama and think he is going to keel over soon, the way you do McCain.

In trying to attract women, this woman is palatable to more old-boy types because of her fervent pro-gun stance and outdoorsy vibe. However, many women who are they types to switch are pro-choice, which Gov Palin is not.
Too early to see if it is a game changer. My guess, it is not.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Only if they want to ensure that they don't get a single working-mom vote come November.

Eh. Rove used the race of McCain's kid against him in the primaries and because he managed to do it in a way that didn't publically involve Bush himself (the push polling with the supposed bastard child of an affair with an non-white woman), he didn't seem to lose votes over it, even though most people think the behavior was appalling and they'd never vote for someone who uses the race of an adopted child against a candidate.

Sure, it's dispicable, but it's sort of the way politics are run these days. As long as it's subtle and the dirt stays off the candidate's crisp white shirt, you play the cards that you can when trying to reach out to certain groups.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too early to see if it is a game changer. My guess, it is not.

It could be...these things are impossible to predict. But it's already changed the tone of the MSM, and that's worth a lot in this game.

Make the adversary react to you...don't fight his way. And first guy to the debrief wins.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Perfect time for her to be a candidate too. Her major negative is the lack of experience, but Obama supporters are going to look awfully stupid trying to pull that line considering that their own candidate is a newbie himself.

I'm excited :)

An excellent point...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Am I the only one here who thinks this was a pretty transparent effort to sway voters? Sure, it might grab some of the staunch Hillary voters, but I'd rather pick a leader based on their merits and experience...not their token vagina.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for women in office, but people aren't stupid. They're going to see what he's doing here. I know some of you mentioned it earlier, but you seem pleased about it. I'm confused by that. Seems more like an insult to our intelligence.

I just hate how the VP race has turned into more of a marketing game.

What makes you think it always hasn't been? Teddy Roosevelt anyone? The VP pick has been a political choice since they stopped using the candidate with the second most votes as VP. Get real.

Oh...and clearly McCain picked her because she has a vagina and not becuase she is any of the following: A maverick, reformer politician with a solid conservative background...and youth to balance his experience.

Your fixation on sexist politics is why the media focus on racial and sexist politics. Get over it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I think you give "people" way too much credit.
but McCain's age is/has been an issue, so people are more apt to play the "what if he keels over" game than they are with Obama. Compared to Biden or Obama...

I really think pundits (sure, I'll include you;)) have been overestimating the amount influence McCain's age is having on voters. Just colloquially, I haven't really heard it mentioned as a serious, voting issue except by those who are already firmly in the Obama camp. (This may not be the case with you...)

Second, people generally don't respect attractive women on an intellectual/leadership level. Now many of you won't be willing to admit it, but I think you'll find that this is generally the case.

Unfortunately, I think this is true...that said, it ain't right and you certainly can't hold it against the candidate. It's not her fault that she packs both a brain and a pretty face, and its dishonest to require that women who want to be taken seriously to be heinous. (Again, not saying that this is what you are doing, just that the argument seems to be a red herring). The real issue is what she is capable of...not how she looks, or how she pees.

I'll grant you this...I don't think she's ready to "lead the free world" as we talk today...I don't think any candidate is though. Can anyone tell me a job that does get you ready for that??? I'll buy that a certain level of experience is certainly an asset but there are many other assets that a candidate should have and a president needs. It seems apparent to me that she has several of these...and is certainly no less qualified than Obama.

asise

It really tied the room together.
For today, this is a huge success for McCain.
Obama's acceptance of the Dem nomination is historic no matter how you vote, and the Dems played it up well with the large stadium, choice of date, other great speakers ... and "they" say the most important speech of his career was last night, and in his usual fashion he spoke well.
Yet, all anyone is talking about today is McCain, whether what they're saying is good or bad.
*hat tip to McCain*

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Palin has the advantage of starting with a clean slate. Make no mistake, this was a HUGE gamble for JSM. How big a gamble depends entirely on her.

If she plays strong, stands up to Biden, turns on the charm, then the "Everybody Knows" becomes: hot all-American working mom, smart and tough but not a pantsuits beeotch like She Who Must Not Be Named. And this goes down as one of the most brilliant gambles since Inchon.

If she ever breaks down crying during an interview, loses it during a debate, says something dumb (like "P-O-T-A-T-O-E" dumb), then it becomes "bimbo window-dressing beauty queen".

After seeing her speak today, I think I'd put my money on the GOP this year.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
lol. "Solid Pick."

Ya... being a mayor of a podunk Alaskan town, then being the governor for 1.5 years of arguably one of the most corrupt state governments in the Union. Wow. Way to hit back at that "experience" angle you were attacking.

Anti-gay, Husband works for BP, and embroiled in a corruption scandal for improperly using her influence. Come to think of it, she's a perfect match for VP.

Couldn't have said it myself. This woman is more of the same Good Ole Boys club, the ONLY difference between her and them is that she wears heels and lipstick when she does her thing.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right. Good-ol'-boys. That's why she's been driving Stevens and Young - the good ol' boys of Alaska politics - absolutely batshit since she got elected.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's one from the archives: Craig Ferguson thinks Governor Palin makes an excellent Naughty Librarian. And she says "succulent".

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I can't understand why they'd pick someone who is under investigation. It hardly matters what the outcome is, though of course if they find anything, McCain is royally screwed. But even if they don't, her name and the phrases, "under investigation" and "independent investigator" will be all over the news next for weeks or even months.

I'm sure they've thought this out, but I can't help but wonder why this seemed like a non-issue, especially when they know the Dems are coming after them using the "questionable judgement" angle.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
One thing I just noticed in reading about Palin is she also has a kid in the military. I wonder if that would be any kind of point made or not made wrt to both sides of the isle.

Either way, I think it's a good choice, and not because she's a woman, but because in her limited career she has much better track record than Obama does in a similarly short career. Sure, Obama is a senator but what exactly has he done (not rhetorical, if anyone can answer that, please let me know). Palin's accomplishment's are out there for everyone to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.