• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 15TH Selection Board

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Welcome to the club! Within the next few weeks, I think I'm going to make a Facebook group for our class - sound good?

I made a 19 OCT class thread at usnavyocs earlier today. The facebook group sounds like a good idea too.

PigzFly

and then you guys can make a Myspace group, and a friendster group, and a e-harmony group, and then finally a hot or not group. Ha ha. You guys are going to be Naval Aviators and you are still worried about getting a facebook group together. To each his own of course. I never really got into the mayspace and facebook craze I guess.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I think you miss the point. Regardless of the sterotypes associated with social-networking tools like Facebook or MySpace, they can be hella useful for professional networking also (I threw in some NorCal slang there for ya, just got back from a vacation to SF). It's more a point of familiarizing yourself with as many of the classmates you'll be spending 12 or more weeks with as possible before OCS (one less thing to 'worry' about right?) Plus, it would make organizing the use of POVs easier for those flying in, or whatever other information might need to be disseminated among the group.

PigzFly

Agreed. I was just giving you guys a hard time. I just find it commical I guess. Myspace and facebook to me seem to be something that would moved away from after high school/college. I wont lie, I have accounts on both, I just hardly use them as it is, I dont see myself using them much at all in the future. I think things like AW and the other forums, like the OCS one, are just as capable of networking utilities, without all of the "immature" qualities associated. Granted im sure none of the select candidates have anything non-professional on their profiles, but the networks themselves dont hold the highest of professional reputations. I think its a damn good idea though to get in contact with future classmates. Having someone you know to a degree can be huge when times get rough.

I dont know my OCS class date yet, but I will be driving. Once I get my date, if anyone is flying in and needs a ride or wants to get together before checking in, let me know.

I am from Nor Cal, but the word "Hella" has never come out of my mouth. I am ashamed to even type it. Ha ha.

Insomneo

Congrats Insomneo. I'm still waiting to hear my Final Select. Hopefully it will be this week or the next.

Thanks. I heard from my recruiter that its pretty backed up. Believe me every day that passed I was like, well maybe I'll find my date out tomorrow.

I will be flying. I don't mind long flights but hate long drives. Though, the drive would be nice scenery wise considering it being October and all.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks. I heard from my recruiter that its pretty backed up. Believe me every day that passed I was like, well maybe I'll find my date out tomorrow.

Been there :D. Now it's like - every day I wake up and say "Sh!t! I've only got 3 months, I gotta get to the gym!"

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I'm planning on driving up as well, though I'm a little further down the coast from you in Savannah. "Sh!t only 3 months"?? damn I'm like "Sh!t, STILL 3 months?" :icon_tong I want to get this show on the road.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I'm planning on driving up as well, though I'm a little further down the coast from you in Savannah. "Sh!t only 3 months"?? damn I'm like "Sh!t, STILL 3 months?" :icon_tong I want to get this show on the road.

Me too, but I'm still glad I have some time to keep working out. I want to make the physical aspects a little less stressful. Have you started on memorization or anything yet? My OR hasn't given me any info for NKO or anything...so I'm just kinda waitin' it out.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I had the memorization "done" before I got my final select letter. However, now I'm wondering if there is more to knowing the rank structure than order and how they look. I saw a post awhile back on usnavyocs that suggested you have to memorize an exact way of describing how the different rank identifiers look. ex: ".. a 1/2 inch gold bar 1/4 inch below a 1/2 inch gold bar 1/4 inch below a 1/4 inch gold bar .." (not an exact quote of course). Although, I haven't seen any gouge like this associated with any 'Big 4' packages I've found, so I hope I'm just nuking it.

rhinoh82

My OR gave me a flip binder, kinda like a steno pad. But it has the verbage you are expected to be able to use to describe different ranks. Although, its kinda out-dated it still has OCS in P'cola. Anyway, still good gouge. You guys let me know if I need to type it up for ya!!

Insomneo

I have the Big Four memorized, not just memorized but tested under stress as well. I do not have the whole "1/4 inch gold bar" stuff memorized, I didn't think we would have too, but if a recent grad could expand upon this question it would help a ton.

Going to work on the easy stuff later this week such as the songs and creeds, since they flow a bit better than some of the Big Four. I have about 3 summaries of OCS that have things you need to have memorized at the end. So far each of them match, making me confident that these are the things to memorize.

It will be interesting to see if some of the other candidates are as prepared as us. I hope so, if not we're going to have to help them out... which will in turn reinforce our knowledge on the subjects.

*edit*

Come to think of it, the whole "1/4 of an inch gold bar" thing is on all three of those summaries next to their respective pictures. I am going to assume that they're not there for a mere description. I think I'll begin memorizing that as well.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You will need to memorize the entirety of appendix B in the OCR verbatim by week 4. That involves code of conduct, general orders of a sentry, chain of command, Navy and USMC rate/rank structure (including how to describe the rank insignia), phonetic alphabet, warfare pins, leadership traits, Navy's mission and levels of warfare.

It's good that you're ambitious enough to get a head start, but honestly your DI will care less if you know this stuff in week 1 or 2.

Insomneo

Thanks Spekkio. Memorizing this information before hand is more to increase my confidence going into OCS rather than trying to get out of the DI's destructive path.

PigzFly

Gentlemen, it time to "Lock In" - Just heard today the I will be classing up with all of you on 19 Oct. Hell yeah, finally a date to look forward to. Let me know if you guys do end up making a facebook group. While im not particularly a facebook user, I do find myself bored enough to wonder on once in a while.

Hoping to swear in by the end of this week. I go to Vegas next week. Now I have something to CELEBRATE!! Time to get my ass back to the gym, and the pool.