• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 15TH Selection Board

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I haven't heard about my final select yet, but I did already have my security interview and a few of my roomates were already interviewed as well. Do any of you know how long the process takes to get the SCI clearance? Basically, how long after your initial interview do you know that you have got the clearance wrapped up? My interviewer said if you don't hear anything for a few weeks, that is a good sign.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Pigz that sucks man, keep us updated, and next time remember "wooo...saaaah"

SixBeersIn

pilot
nzach:

I hear that they will often prioritize the investigations based on time in need - it's a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. Regardless, it can be frustrating not knowing the outcome (kind of like selection boards). My best advice: if you haven't done anything wrong, don't sweat it. If they need clarification they will contact you; if they don't, it will just appear one day. I know pins and needles suck and it would be nice to know for sure, but DONCAF will make sure you've got it around the time you need it. Worst situation: you get to work 3 hour days and get paid while you wait for Admin to process your stuff. Easy day.

pigz:

Tough hurdle. Eat well, exercise and pound the water. You'll be fine.

rhinoh82

Do any of you know how long the process takes to get the SCI clearance?

It can take a while, I've seen anywhere from 6 months to over a year for a clearance on that level.:( Sucks, but unfortunately as has been stated before there's nothing you can do to speed up the process.

Pigz,

I had the same problem. I drank a gallon of water prior to going into MEPS that morning. After 2 hours of paperwork and a breathalyzer test, all I was seeing was yellow. I sat down in the chair and of course my blood pressure was up, around 138. She told me to go back and sit in the waiting area. I begged could I please take the whiz quiz (urinalysis), and was denied. She called me back 20 mins later and my blood pressure was 148. She said your going the wrong way, I was like no shit I'm about to pee my pants. She relented and I was the first person of the day to take the urinalysis. I came back afterward and my blood pressure was around 120, so I passed. I still had to explain to the doc that I hadn't ever had high blood pressure, that if the lady had let me pee they wouldn't have had to take it 3 times.

I'm sure that it was probably nerves or something like that. I was a little nervous and it was my 3rd trip to the same MEPS building (I enlisted in the Marines in the same building back in 2000). Good luck man! Let us know how things go.

carmackrc

Is anyone here selected for the 21 Sep OCS class? I'm on my way with a selection for the Supply Corps. Maybe I could get to know some names before I get there.

flopper

It can take a while, I've seen anywhere from 6 months to over a year for a clearance on that level.:( Sucks, but unfortunately as has been stated before there's nothing you can do to speed up the process.

Pigz,

I had the same problem. I drank a gallon of water prior to going into MEPS that morning. After 2 hours of paperwork and a breathalyzer test, all I was seeing was yellow. I sat down in the chair and of course my blood pressure was up, around 138. She told me to go back and sit in the waiting area. I begged could I please take the whiz quiz (urinalysis), and was denied. She called me back 20 mins later and my blood pressure was 148. She said your going the wrong way, I was like no shit I'm about to pee my pants. She relented and I was the first person of the day to take the urinalysis. I came back afterward and my blood pressure was around 120, so I passed. I still had to explain to the doc that I hadn't ever had high blood pressure, that if the lady had let me pee they wouldn't have had to take it 3 times.

I'm sure that it was probably nerves or something like that. I was a little nervous and it was my 3rd trip to the same MEPS building (I enlisted in the Marines in the same building back in 2000). Good luck man! Let us know how things go.

Gotta love those MEPS civilians

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Pay rates.

Edit: rates for purpose of pay. So my ranks/rates it means O-1 = Ens, 2nd Lt.

Clear as mud?

SixBeersIn

pilot
By rates do you mean minimum years of promotion (rate of promotion)? Or pay rates?

I'll give you a broader look at the system, if you'd like.

Officers have "ranks". Enlisted Sailors have "rates".

E-1 = Seaman Recruit
E-2 = Seaman Apprentice
E-3 = Seaman
E-4 = Petty Officer Third Class
E-5 = Petty Officer Second Class
E-6 = Petty Officer First Class
E-7 = Chief Petty Officer
E-8 = Senior Chief Petty Officer
E-9 = Master Chief Petty Officer

Additionally, specific jobs on the enlisted side are referred to as "ratings". They usually have a two or three letter designator and are denoted in the actual rate.

Here are some specific rating examples:
BM = Boatswain's Mate
PN = Personnelman
NC = Navy Counselor
MA = Master-at-Arms
CTI = Cryptologic Technician Interpretive

Let's take the "Yeoman" rating for a complete look through the rates:
YNSR = Yeoman Seaman Recruit
YNSA = Yeoman Seaman Apprentice
YNSN = Yeoman Seaman
YN3 = Yeoman Third Class
YN2 = Yeoman Second Class
YN1 = Yeoman First Class
YNC = Chief Yeoman
YNCS = Senior Chief Yeoman
YNCM = Master Chief Yeoman

In order to get a rating, enlisted personnel must complete the required initial training for their particular skill. Most of the time, this is done by attending and graduating from an "A" School. With some rare exceptions, a Sailor cannot promote above E-3 until they have completed these requirements. That's why "Petty Officers" are considered to be the same as other services' "Non-Commissioned Officers" - they've proven themselves proficient at their trade. Once the required training is completed, Sailors get a rating badge that is worn on the sleeve of the working and dress uniforms (whites or blues).

Ultimately, Enlisted Sailors can either go by the generic short titles (ex. Petty Officer, Senior Chief), or by the longer, more official ones (ex. Master Chief Boatswain's Mate, Dental Technician Third Class).

Recap:
Officers have "ranks"; Enlisted have "rates"
Enlisted jobs are "ratings"

I know this seems a bit confusing at first.....and there are yet more details that I haven't covered here, but I promise it will all be second nature by the time the test rolls around in Newport. Hope this helped - at least a little.

PigzFly

"Knowledge pieces" are also considered rates. For example, the general orders of the sentry, the sailor's creed, weapons for to aft on a ...

At least this is how it was at the academy. Ranks and rates (pay and position) were included in this required knowledge. But then again so were menus, current +3. Not sure what will be required at OCS, but we were issued "Reef Points" at the academy that had all of the rates to know.

Insomneo

Awesome! Thanks! Clears that up a bunch. I was thinking "rates" as in an O-3 makes x amount of dollars. Off just a tad eh?:icon_wink

Insomneo

The final select letter hasn't been signed yet but everything has gone through. I will be joining the Oct. 19 class for OCS.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
The final select letter hasn't been signed yet but everything has gone through. I will be joining the Oct. 19 class for OCS.

Welcome to the club! Within the next few weeks, I think I'm going to make a Facebook group for our class - sound good?

Insomneo

Thanks! Sure, just let me know when you do and I'll either pm you my info if its a closed group or search for the group if its open.

I guess I may have to get a part time job now hah. Burning through that Grad money pretty quick.

stew47

Congrats Insomneo. I'm still waiting to hear my Final Select. Hopefully it will be this week or the next.