• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 15TH Selection Board

irontri

Pigs, congrats. One step closer. I'm guessing you were at Mt. View. Isn't Dr. D a riot?

Rhino, I was told the same thing and that's my date as well....for now. I've been bounced around some and may go much earlier.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for letting us know about OCS dates. I'm expecting final select sometime soon and it's good to know at least which weeks they're falling on. How much time (assuming I graduate before Christmas) do we get for the holiday?

PigzFly

I was hoping to class up the weekend of Labor Day. I would like to be done before Christmas, that would leave roughly two weeks, just in case something happened. But id prefer to go strait through.

Yeah, Dr. D is crazy. A former Army Colonel. I had to meet directly with him for my physical because of my med doc review. Long day, but glad its over. Ready for my date. I just want to know for sure everything is good to go.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
I hear ya, I'm still trying to see if I can go back to MEPS for just the eye test portion. Since my civvy doc's results apparently weren't good enough to keep me from TNPQing SNA.

Insomneo

Yeah, I got my final select back on Thursday and my OCS date isn't until 14 Sept.

Heard the same thing.

Hope all of this heat running (90+ with 80+ humidity) pays off for the RI fall/winter. Personally I feel that I am ready as can be for what is ahead (yes it will still suck.)

rhinoh82

Heard the same thing.

Hope all of this heat running (90+ with 80+ humidity) pays off for the RI fall/winter. Personally I feel that I am ready as can be for what is ahead (yes it will still suck.)

It should some, but once the cold weather hits it seems like you have to recondition your lungs to handle the cold air. Feel the burn, ooh yeah!! Maybe by the time it gets real cold we'll be close to graduation.

As far as, being ready for OCS. I'm looking forward to seeing some DIs again. Miss those guys and gals soooo much.:D

SixBeersIn

pilot
Finally get to go to OCS

(I know there’s an unwritten rule about posting after just signing up, but I’ve been reading these threads religiously for the last year now. I’d like to submit my story for you guys who are hitting walls in the OCS-selection process. Maybe, it’ll provide some hope or inspiration.)

I graduated from the University of Illinois with two music degrees in 2004. I was 25. I went to an officer recruiter - he was a supply-corps LT - in Chicago and took the ASTB. At the same time, I was talking with an enlisted recruiter and ended up signing for a CTI job; I came in as an E-3. The CTI job left me in DEP for only four days, so I never got my OCS package off the ground. It wasn’t very promising anyway; while I was in boot camp my scores came back: 46, 4/3/4. The LT and I talked; he reassured me that it was unlikely I would've passed a selection board. So, there I was: enlisted with a Master’s Degree.

The Navy sent me to Monterey, CA for a year and a half of language training. (I hesitate to say which language for OPSEC reasons). Class was hard and intense; they took us from not even knowing “hello” to proficient at record pace. A lot of guys didn’t cut it so they were re-classed and got new jobs. I, personally, really struggled with the tempo: by the end we were memorizing 100 new vocabulary words a night. I really believe that getting through that course is the hardest thing I’ve done so far in my life. It was all worth it though: graduation in 2006 was followed by E-4 and shore duty in Hawaii.

Once I got to paradise, I served in my operational billet during the day and studied Computer Science, Math and Physics at night. I kept in contact with the LT from Chicago and he helped me keep my sights set on that coveted commission. I asked a lot of people a lot of questions and I pushed myself hard. The Navy was good to me in the process: in December 2006, I underwent PRK surgery (I had worn glasses since I was 6) bringing my vision to 20/15. Uncle Sam paid for the surgery and all my classes. I retook the ASTB last October and scored a 65, 7/6/7. I finished up two semesters of Calculus and Physics last March and submitted my package to the Selection Board. I was pro-rec’d in May and got my final select this past Friday (6/13/08).

On September 14, four years and one month after enlisting, I get to go to Newport and subsequent pilot training.

I’m 29 with a vision waiver. Looking back, I don’t think I could have gotten here any other way. Had I not enlisted, I doubt I would’ve studied all the Math/Science or pumped up my ASTB score. I doubt I would’ve ever gotten PRK – certainly not for free. I never would’ve learned that foreign language and I would’ve hit that 27 and 1/2 age barrier pretty quick.

At first, it was frustrating having to salute new Ensigns and LTJGs when I felt I should’ve been there too. Being treated like an idiot kid right out of High School gave me some serious lessons in humility. In the end, though, I learned that nothing in the Navy will be blindly given; everything must be earned. I truly believe this will help make me a better officer than I would’ve been four years ago.

For all of you facing hurdles getting orders to OCS – don’t give up. The road you’re taking right now might be different than the one you need to get there. Keep your sights set on your goals and keep going. It took me four years, but I’m glad I took the road I did. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Thanks to everyone on AirWarriors. Without you guys, the LT and whole bunch of other people, I wouldn't be going to Newport. See you in the fleet!

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Great story. +1. Welcome to the wonderful world of posting on AW. I may be seeing you in Newport, we'll see when final select comes (hopefully this week).

Insomneo

Any word on being final select anyone? Recruiter called me today giving me an update and estimating that it could be within the next two weeks. I sure hope he's right!

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
I got the same thing. I'll let you know within 2 minutes of finding out. =)

rhinoh82

Any word on being final select anyone?

I swore in last Thursday and received my final select letter in the mail on Monday. Hopefully you guys will hear something soon!

Six Beers, congrats! See you in September.

JT, glad to hear that you will be signing SNA. Hopefully, be seeing you in September as well.

PigzFly

I just received word that I have been NPQd because of high blood pressure at MEPS. I was 140/90 the first time it was taken (and a stressful morning it had already been). I even asked the girl if it was high or if she was going to have to take it again. (They usually take it twice and its always lower the second time.) She told me it was right on the line but that I was fine, there was no need to take it again. Now I have to have it monitored for three consecutive days. It doesnt seem to be a huge deal. My only gripe is that I was told it was fine, even after I asked. According to some other threads the max is considered 140/90. I am at the max, but not over. Guess I will be waiting for my final select. Oh well. Keep you updated.

Anyone else final select?